• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Post Office

Seasidepagan

Junior Acolyte
I’ve told the story on here of when my mum brother and I lived in a haunted house ( top hat man) and about our pub which had strange goings on. After we left the pub we lived in a ‘normal’ modern house. Nothing happened to anyone in that house, but the post office next door was more troublesome for its occupants.
the post office was in the high street in Hastings and we lived next door. It was empty when we moved into our house but quite soon after a family moved in, husband, wife and 2 kids. I was only about 14 myself to my memory is hazy. Might have been three kids. Anyway, my mum befriended the wife and they would chat across the wall about this and that. The woman seemed happy, light, positive and I have memories of her smiling and laughing.
After time and when the winter had set in, the wife told my mum that she felt that the building was very oppressive and gloomy. I was at school at the time and so I just had snippets of what my mum was reporting on the phone to her mum or to my stepdad.
mum grew quite concerned about the woman and would call her or pop into the post office to chat. The woman seemed to decline more and more and it appeared that domestic violence had started and that the woman had begun drinking heavily. Again, this is the story I got from my mum.
We moved again (moved a lot when I was a kid and as an adult) and now to a very old and picturesque cottage, and the next we heard the poor woman from the post office had hung herself in the post office accommodation.
Shocking. Poor lady. Poor family. Years later I was doing some local history research and found that in that very building two brothers had lived in the (?) 1800’s. They were carpenters and therefore coffin makers. There has been a huge fight between them and then one brother disappeared. A couple of years later the missing brother has been found in a sealed coffin in the upstairs of what was later the post office building.
The story of the coffin building brothers is often told on the ghost walk around the town that a lot of my stories are told in.

That brings back memories. Rather a long time ago I was interested in a girl who lived at that post office. The Old Town is now so different - that building is now an antique shop.

On a related note one of the ghost tours I went on mentioned the coffin factory (I think the “piece of cheese” gets a mention for that too) and at one point the weirdest thing happened. The guide stopped at the end of the tackleway under a single old street light - a converted gas light. We all stood round while she spun some yarn and this miniature cloud formed above her and rained on her with tiny droplets. Just on her.

Map

Street view

Last edited:
Wow, Seasidepagan, that's a really sad story. It must have been awful for her family, especially the children.

I'd redo that kitchen and bath . . .
I don’t think you could properly open all the cupboard doors in the kitchen. The whole cottage is just a novelty really. I’m pretty sure it was workshops most of its life. It’s been claimed (but I’ve never checked the claim so salt by the pinch) that it was something to do with undertaking at some point, like coffins or mortuary - the door in the upper floor being used during for those purposes.

edit to add: The old ice house was about 100 yards away. This was a large place providing ice for the fishing fleet which was extensive back then, so maybe mortuary is not such an odd idea.

The whole cottage is just a novelty really. I’m pretty sure it was workshops most of its life. It’s been claimed (but I’ve never checked the claim so salt by the pinch) that it was something to do with undertaking at some point, like coffins or mortuary - the door in the upper floor being used during for those purposes.
As soon as I read that I imagined a coffin being slid through the door and down a gentle slide to somewhere--of course! to the ice house!
I guess you have to be inside my head for THAT to make any sense.

Just tried to find some additional info about all of this but to little or no avail ‍♂
Which part of it? If you are local a visit to Hastings History House can tell you a lot that isn’t on the net and may document what your after. I’ve donated stuff that won’t be found anywhere else and is in unique and, in its time ground breaking.
Google can’t Index paper records.

That brings back memories. Rather a long time ago I was interested in a girl who lived at that post office. The Old Town is now so different - that building is now an antique shop.

On a related note one of the ghost tours I went on mentioned the coffin factory (I think the “piece of cheese” gets a mention for that too) and at one point the weirdest thing happened. The guide stopped at the end of the tackleway under a single old street light - a converted gas light. We all stood round while she spun some yarn and this miniature cloud formed above her and rained on her with tiny droplets. Just on her.

Map

Street view
Wow! Poltergeist maybe? Odd though it was outside. I read maybe here, of a somewhat similar rain eventonly on larger scale. Attendees at a rock concert in large stadium were sweltering with heat. Either the poster or The audience as a whole were encouraged to pray for rain, and it did only just at the stadium. Was that a fortean post? Anyone remember?

Just caught up with all this. Was in Hastings in the summer and went passed all these places for old times sake (and because to get where I needed to go we had to walk that way ). The pub my parents had, the Crown, was right near the piece of cheese. And up the road was the old carpenters/coffin makers. The tackleway cottages that feature in Roland Dechains experience were also our abode for a couple of years after we left the pub. We had no experiences there that were Fortean despite them being old and featuring in lots of classic pics of Hastings from the East Hill.

Back