• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Pub

And I thought the Golden Fleece in York was supposed to be the most haunted pub? I've never even been in, although I'm told they do very good chips...

I sometimes stand and stare at it whilst waiting for the P&R bus, hoping to see an inexplicable face at a window or something mysterious happening, but so far no luck.

Oh I know where you mean! Walk past there most weeks, too! I have a vague memory of the 'Most Haunted' there and it had the one incident ever in MH that made me think they might, just might, have got something on film... Can't remember what it was now. But it wasn't the camera crew chucking stones out of shot.

Shame about the perfume shop closing.Only went in once.But York is changing unfortunately you will always make money from the leisure trades ie bars and restaurants and councils need money.They don’t really care about the history of the shops etc

Shame about the perfume shop closing.Only went in once.But York is changing unfortunately you will always make money from the leisure trades ie bars and restaurants and councils need money.They don’t really care about the history of the shops etc

I dunno, Who Me, the Shambles is trading very nicely on its history - and also it's resemblance to Diagon Alley! I've always thought that York does a pretty good job of being Historic without making it feel like a theme park.

Oops forget about the shambles catseye and I agree with you it’s really nice there I like the open market near it too.
I like the big oxfam book shop and the other book shop near it.Cannot remember the name of the street though.The street itself is in front of you when your driving in to York turn left at the lights for the railway station!

The Oxfam shop is on High Petergate I think, another street of old buildings. Fossgate, Walmgate and Gillygate are all lovely too.

Thats the one lovely place/street quite an old church on it too.

First post on this site although I’ve read the Fortean times since I was 19 or so (50 now) .When I was 14 my mum and step dad bought the tenancy to a pub in the old part of Hastings. When we moved in it was fascinating because it looked like the last owners had literally just walked out leaving half filled pint glasses, old cigarette packets and other pub related stuff. It was like a Time warp. Anyway we settled in and unpacked in the accommodation on the top of the pub. It had a strange atmosphere not least because of the state of the downstairs. This would lead to us all
Going to the toilet and waiting for each other or going from Room to room together. My parents had invested a Lot of money into this project and so moving out was not an option.
One night myself my mum and my brother all settled to watch tv in the lounge (step dad off busy in the pub) and one of us needed to go to the toilet so up we all got to go to the loo. Except the door to the lounge which usually swung open easily, was absolutely stuck fast. It would not budge, the handle wouldn’t open, we tugged and pulled and panicking now we began to bang and call for my
Step dad. It felt like someone was pulling on the other side. Then, literally in an instance, the door open and the force of us pulling made us tumble onto the floor in a heap. It was not a stiff door. It was not a rusty door knob that got caught. It was a palpable feeling of someone pulling on the other side of the door.
Other things that happened there was that a black dog was seen in the games room, a man would be seen at the bar and you would turn to serve him and no one would be there and one time a light bulb fell from the flex onto the floor in the hallway and when I went to retrieve it it was no where
To be found. When I eventually did find it it was downstairs tucked in the corner by the front door. It was impossible for it to have travelled that far even by rolling about 30 times. Impossible. We left there when I was about 17 and when I drive past now I look up at the flat above and wonder if anything odd goes on to this day.

Excellent story, @Seasidepagan ! Did you ever find out anything of the history of the place? Quite often hauntings can happen to one group of people, family, colleagues, or whatever, but when they move on the haunting stops. I don't suppose you heard anything more afterwards?

Excellent story, @Seasidepagan ! Did you ever find out anything of the history of the place? Quite often hauntings can happen to one group of people, family, colleagues, or whatever, but when they move on the haunting stops. I don't suppose you heard anything more afterwards?
Thankyou for asking. First time on here so am sussing out where/how much to write . No I didn’t, being so young I didn’t really think to and now I live the other side of the country. All I can say is that from the age of about 5 I was aware of strange phenomena around us as a family and I have a feeling that it was that following us.

First post on this site although I’ve read the Fortean times since I was 19 or so (50 now) .When I was 14 my mum and step dad bought the tenancy to a pub in the old part of Hastings. When we moved in it was fascinating because it looked like the last owners had literally just walked out leaving half filled pint glasses, old cigarette packets and other pub related stuff. It was like a Time warp. Anyway we settled in and unpacked in the accommodation on the top of the pub. It had a strange atmosphere not least because of the state of the downstairs. This would lead to us all
Going to the toilet and waiting for each other or going from Room to room together. My parents had invested a Lot of money into this project and so moving out was not an option.
One night myself my mum and my brother all settled to watch tv in the lounge (step dad off busy in the pub) and one of us needed to go to the toilet so up we all got to go to the loo. Except the door to the lounge which usually swung open easily, was absolutely stuck fast. It would not budge, the handle wouldn’t open, we tugged and pulled and panicking now we began to bang and call for my
Step dad. It felt like someone was pulling on the other side. Then, literally in an instance, the door open and the force of us pulling made us tumble onto the floor in a heap. It was not a stiff door. It was not a rusty door knob that got caught. It was a palpable feeling of someone pulling on the other side of the door.
Other things that happened there was that a black dog was seen in the games room, a man would be seen at the bar and you would turn to serve him and no one would be there and one time a light bulb fell from the flex onto the floor in the hallway and when I went to retrieve it it was no where
To be found. When I eventually did find it it was downstairs tucked in the corner by the front door. It was impossible for it to have travelled that far even by rolling about 30 times. Impossible. We left there when I was about 17 and when I drive past now I look up at the flat above and wonder if anything odd goes on to this day.

A most interesting story there, and :welc:

Thankyou for asking. First time on here so am sussing out where/how much to write . No I didn’t, being so young I didn’t really think to and now I live the other side of the country. All I can say is that from the age of about 5 I was aware of strange phenomena around us as a family and I have a feeling that it was that following us.

Yeah, it might have been a combination of the location and your family's susceptibility to the otherworldly that created the situation. Although when you moved in it does sound like a pub version of the Mary Celeste!

Yeah, it might have been a combination of the location and your family's susceptibility to the otherworldly that created the situation. Although when you moved in it does sound like a pub version of the Mary Celeste!
It literally was. It was as if people had just upped and gone. My mum has passed away but my step dad is still alive so tomorrow I’ll ask him what the story was and wrote it tomorrow.

A most interesting story there, and :welc:
Thank you for the welcome. I have lots of stories from growing up and as an adult. I will get them all written down. From reading on here and on the subject for years I do feel that some people have lots of experiences and other people none. I wonder if some people are more susceptible or more open to things.

Thank you for the welcome. I have lots of stories from growing up and as an adult. I will get them all written down. From reading on here and on the subject for years I do feel that some people have lots of experiences and other people none. I wonder if some people are more susceptible or more open to things.

I look forward to reading more of your experiences. :)

Yes, some people are lucky enough to have lots of weird experiences, I don't know the reason though. I've had a few odd things happen (most of which I've mentioned on 'ere somewhere) but they were all when I was a child.

One of my nieces and family run a pub that has a very " haunted" history. They have had a few incidences that they have found very strange. So far she does not want anyone to look into the strange happenings . (Some of them live above the pub ). If she changes her mind and there is any sort of enquiry I will let you know.

Back