• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
JamesWhitehead said:
. He reckoned it led to the famous underground street beneath nearby Neville Street.

Have to say, that's the first I've ever heard of an Underground Street. :shock:

And I've lived just outside Southport town for the last 30+ years

James, can you tell us more about it?

Lots on the Southport Forums, which are strong on local history, Niall. Since they don't always show up on Search Engines, I'll put a link
Here :)

White Hart, Wymondham.

In 2001, I had not long moved into the White Hart at Wymondham as a live in manager. I had organised a friend to collect my belongings from my old flat and bring them to the pub for me. He had picked up my stuff with 2 other friends and they took it all upstairs to the private dwelling for, as I had to work behind the bar. (I had no staff when I first took over the pub.)
Once all my boxes and furniture had been moved upstairs the three of them joined me in a few thank you bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale.
The pub was an old staging post and what was a pool room on the side had been a Masonic Temple. The place was quite a strange one to live in. They were staying the night as it was quite a distance back home. The pub was big, so all four of us had a room each. It was just gone midnight when I heard the pub doors being shaken. I just thought that whoever it was needn’t think that rattling the doors would get them a drink after time and when I was about to turn in. At this point the internal doors started being shaken. I figured it wasn’t someone trying to get in but someone trying to get out. I put on my dressing gown and was going to go downstairs when I heard a lot of glass breaking. There was no phone as we where waiting installation and I had assumed my friends where asleep. I decided to leave whoever it was down there. They wouldn’t be able to get out and at least they would be calmer or out cold in the morning when I could deal with it. Eventually the smashing glass stopped and I eventually fell asleep.
In the morning I went down nervously not knowing quite what to expect. There was no glass, no breakages, no open doors, and no people. 'Must have been a dream'
One by one my three friends awoke. Each of them asked what on earth I had been up to smashing glasses in the early hours!
Had we all had the same dream or was it something else.
I looked into some of the history of the building. There had been a fire there 150yrs before. One person had been trapped inside and had been reported to have tried to smash his way out of the windows but they where too small. The doors where all locked. So after a little discussion we figured that must have been what we had all heard that night.

Since I was a little girl I have always been given a bar of galaxy and a can of coke if ever I felt unwell. This I have retained into adulthood.
I had come back from seeing Lenny Kravitz in concert at Wembley stadium and felt quite tired and travel sick, so I asked my boyfriend to walk with me to the twenty four hour garage to get Galaxy and coke. I figured the fresh air would do me some good.
I was living at the red lion in Norwich where I worked as the assistant manager. The landlady had a little scamp of a puppy that was always excited and difficult to get away from when you tried to leave the building from the private quarters. With this in mind I waited outside whilst my boyfriend settled the dog and locked up behind us.
The area where the pub was situated had a public toilet outside which was often frequented by gentlemen looking for some same sex orientated affection. There was a bridge by here too where the same said gents would wait to see what they could attract before moving on towards the public toilet.
Whilst I waited outside the pub for my boyfriend I noticed a gentleman standing on the bridge, which because of the night time activities on St Georges street was not a strange occurrence. After a few men had walked past to the toilets without paying the man on the bridge any attention I began to rethink his motivation for being there at 4am in the morning. He had started staring over at the pub and I became quite paranoid that his intention was to burgle the pub. As Lee came outside the gate I asked if we could quickly pop in to warn the landlady of the potential problem.
I pointed out the man on the bridge who had now started walking towards the pub and Lee just looked at me oddly and said lets get going to the garage. I stayed where I was and kept insisting that we nip back in, still looking at the man. Lee on the other hand insisted that there was nobody there. In a frustrated manner I put my hands to Lees face to turn his head towards the man, saying “that man, that man there”. With my hands either side of Lees face, looking over his shoulder at the man walking towards us, I felt he must be able to now see this man. Just as I did this the man disappeared right in front of my eyes. I went running to the spot where he had last been visible to see if in fact there was somewhere that he could have turned or hidden, still convinced at this point of his intent to burgle the pub but there was nowhere. Lee still had not seen him and quite calmly expressed that he believed I must have seen a ghost, took my hand and walked me to the garage.

Hi miss_scarlet! I know Norwich well so find your story really interesting. Scary too! Have you seen or heard anything since? Norwich is quite a spooky place.

There are sooo many places here that are prone to ghostly events.
There is a place called Jurnets bar which is a section in wensum lodge college. It is reputed to have been built around 1105 for a chap called Issac Jurnet, a local merchant who basically funded the building of the Cathedral. My mum had taken me down there to one of the Norfolk UFO society meetings. I ended up getting a job there. They often used to film bits for Tales of the unexpected in that part of the building. one night i was sitting having a after work brandy with the caretaker and his wife. The conversation soon turned to ghostly goings on. As we had started discussing the possibility of a haunting by Issac Jurnet, chunks of stone rubble, came down from the flint arches, onto the centre of the table where the 3 of us were sitting.
We locked up and left very quickly at that point.

The Castle museum is also a much discussed venue for sightings, noises and such events.
Many people have been reported hearing moans in the dungeons.
Many people have expressed the feeling that the egyptian displays are unhappy, home sick and want to go back to there home after hearing mournful wailings in the egyptian display section.
Well the mummy is of a Temple Singer who is missing her legs due to them being researched on in America and never returned. So you cant really blame her for moaning.. :(

The old coach house in Grimsby lovely old pub said to be haunted by a small boy who got killed by a coach and a man who was stabbed to death in the bar .
The market hotel Grimsby (Wetherspoons) sounds of children are heard around the building when there are none around and a ghost of a middle aged man has been seen wondering around the top floor of the building.
and The Corporation arms Grimsby is haunted by a landlady who lost her life in a fire in the pub in 1918.

Ghost hunters in search for 100% proof spirit at the bar
EVA LANGLANDS

SCEPTICS would dismiss the shadow that traversed Glasgow's oldest bar at 3.35am yesterday as no more than a trick of the light.

But to paranormal experts investigating the Scotia Bar's spooky past, this moving figure was the latest proof that ghosts walk - or float - among us.

Spirit Finders, Scotland's answer to Ghostbusters, were on a mission to detect signs of paranormal life lurking amidst the bar stools of this Glasgow institution.

The five-strong crew arrived in the witching hour with an entourage of cameras, camcorders, voice recorders, 'ghost detectors' and temperature sensors to seek out the dead.

And it wasn't long after last orders before spirits ran high.

"He's over there!" said Shania, a self-declared psychic 'white witch' and key member of the group, which travels across Scotland investigating what they claim is the country's ghost community. "I can see his shadow. He's medium build and moving towards the cellar now."

Silence. Everyone glances around in the dark. Then some rattling noises emanated from inside the cellar. It had been empty when it was locked.

Of course, Scotland's obsession with the paranormal is well known. BBC bosses captured our national fascination in the hit paranormal drama, Sea Of Souls. Set in a fictional university parapsychology department, the psychic team ventured into back alleys and tenements to find answers to modern-day mysteries.

Yesterday's mission made the TV series a reality. Viewers may have scoffed from the comfort of their sofa at the suggestion that spirits were responsible for unsolved mysteries in contemporary Scotland. But when strange things started happening in the Scotia yesterday, it made even the sceptics among us stop and think.

Two deaths have been reported in or near the Scotia, which has a rich history as a bar dating back to 1792. Both deaths were "detected" within minutes by Shania, who insisted she had never set foot in the bar before yesterday. Shania, who asked to be referred to by her professional name only, was quick to claim an explanation for the shadow that had moved across the bar.

"A man hanged himself in here in the cellar," she said. "He worked in the bar. It was his home from home. But something tipped him over the edge. One day he came in here and took his own life. The last thing he saw was that wall."

Bar manager Mary Rafferty, who agreed to yesterday's session after being contacted by the group, said the story was spot on. "I hadn't told them anything about the bar's history. But their depictions of past events are accurate," said Rafferty. "A Scotia manager hanged himself in the bar in the 1970s. It's not a well-known fact. You'd have to trawl through hundreds of newspapers to find that out. It's sad to think he might still be there."

More spirits appeared as the night went on. We met Willy, an ageing ghost from the 1930s sitting in one of the bar's snug rooms. To confirm the presence, the team whipped out their gadgets. A compass dial whizzed round in circles while the 'ghost detector' - designed to verify electro-magnetic fields - beeped repeatedly.

We also met Annie, an alleged 20th-century prostitute who 'answered' questions by moving a glass on a table. In the dark, with five fingers perched lightly on the glass bottom rim, the woman of the night is said to have made the glass circle rapidly and repeatedly. Then, when asked to do something extraordinary as proof of her presence, the phone rang.

Rafferty admitted yesterday's events made her question her sceptical view of the paranormal. "If it had just been one phone I'd have dismissed it as coincidence. But two phones with different numbers rang in succession. I picked up and there was no answer. I dialled 1471. The caller withheld their number."

She added: "I'm still a sceptic. But I'm more inclined to believe in some kind of paranormal activity now. Certain things - like the phone ringing - were either such a coincidence or couldn't be explained. My mind is not made up yet. I'm baffled."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=385652007

theres a pub in prescot called the bath springs which the owner swears blind is haunted. will ask about it when i'm down those ways next.

As a member of CAMRA I was interested to find that while there are plenty of Good Pub Guides of various 'themes' there was no CAMRA guide for haunted pubs. Thus, that is the project I am in the middle of, canvassing CAMRA members and specifying that 'hauntings' must've been witnessed by still-living customers and/or staff and not of 'past fame'.

There's plenty of places alleged but precious few which are testified.

Severed hand of gambler stolen from pub
The mummified hand of a cheating gambler, which was said to be cursed, has been stolen from the country pub where it was on display.
Published: 7:30AM GMT 16 Mar 2010

The hand, which is believed to have been cut off a gambler caught cheating at whist, was on display in a locked glass case at the Haunch of Venison pub in Salisbury, Wiltshire.

The relic clutches a pack of 18th-century playing cards and is rumoured to be cursed. It previously vanished in March 2004 but was mysteriously returned six weeks later.

Thieves last week unscrewed the cabinet to take the hand, which was originally found during renovation work.

Chantelle Stefan, barmaid at the 684-year-old pub, said: ''The butcher chopped his hand off years ago and threw it into the fireplace.

''When we did the room out it was found again. As a listed building we keep everything and put it in a display case.

''They unscrewed the lock on the side. There are bars holding it against the wall.

''They might have done it as a prank. Hopefully we will get it back.''

According to local legend the ghost of the ''Demented Whist Player'' is said to haunt the pub, with many visitors noticing a cold sensation in certain parts of the building.

Staff also complain that items are moved or hidden but reappear weeks later.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... m-pub.html

We used to have a pub in town called the Duke, a friend of mine was seeing the landlord's daughter, on returning from a night out at about 2am they found her brother upstairs with the TV and stereo going full blast hoovering the flat while wearing a walkman because he couldn't stand the noise of the revelry going on in the bar, which this being the early 90's had been deserted for about 3 1/2 hours. Ghostly goings on in this pub were numerous, and totally accepted by the staff even by my friend in question who would normally take scepticism to new heights.

It's now an 80's theme bar.

The Farmers Arms in Woolsery, Devon has had poltergeist outbreaks since a Saxon well was uncovered there a couple of years ago. Nothing spectacular but people shoved off stool and grabbed, door opening and shuting, footsteps and objects levitating and being moved about.

[quote Nothing spectacular but people shoved off stool and grabbed, door opening and shuting, footsteps and objects levitating and being moved about.

In my pub we still talk about the time some people were asked to leave because they were wearing hats.[/quote]

Cowboy hats, what aroused the suspicion of our eagle eyed bar maid was that they were all wearing similar hats, this is just not to be endured apparently. [/u]

Search on 'pub' in the Ghosts forum, and several threads turn up - many could be merged.

Meanwhile, here's another one!

His regular haunt: Bar staff spooked by ghost of landlord murdered at pub 116 years ago
By Valentina Jovanovski
PUBLISHED: 19:39, 11 March 2012 | UPDATED: 19:39, 11 March 2012

Most pubs are used to seeing scuffles and disturbances on their premises, but they are usually not of the supernatural kind.

However, at the Trocadero in Birmingham, West Midlands, Henry Skinner, a former landlord of the well-known city-centre bar, is making his presence felt 116 years after he was murdered there.
Mr Skinner knocks over glasses, flings beer mats and even throws loose change to the annoyance of staff.

But far from being a gin-soaked regular propping up the bar, Mr Skinner is in fact a ghost.
And in the centenary year of the pub being christened the Trocadero, he has stepped up his anti-social behaviour.

Mr Skinner served in the military before taking over at the establishment which was then named the Bodega, an upmarket winebar that was a famous haunt of thespians and sportsmen.
The burly publican was well-known in the city and ran a popular boxing academy.

But on December 5, 1895, he made the mistake of crossing brothers Herbert and Arthur Allen.
Arthur Allen worked at the pub but was sacked on the spot and a furious row over wages erupted. In a fit of rage his brother, grabbed a gun and shot the landlord.
The Birmingham Gazette reported: 'The bulldog pattern bullet, quite capable of felling an ox, buried itself in the wainscoting.
'Skinner turned back towards the noise and the next shot caught him in the side of the chest as he turned.'

But Mr Skinner is not the only spirit said to wander the building, which became a drinking house in 1883.
Two girls who fell to their deaths on a spiral staircase also make an occasional appearance.
The wafting smell of burning wood is also believed to be a ghostly reminder of the building's previous use as a fire station.

Current manager Pete Yeomans admitted the only spirits he has seen have been on the top shelf.
But the 30-year-old added: 'A previous manager saw a ghostly gentleman and she felt she always had to say hello and goodbye to Henry.'

Yet his partner Kayleigh Thomas, who has worked at the Trocadero since 2006, has encountered Mr Skinner on a number of occasions.
She said: 'He's a friendly ghost. I've never seen him, but I've heard him many times. He tends to knock over glasses and leave things out.
'You'll open up and find some very strange things have been placed on tables, such as clocks.

'But his party piece is making the money in fruit machines rattle. That can be a bit unnerving when you're the only one in the room.' :shock:

Michael Reddy, who runs ghost walks through the city, said the Trocadero ticks all boxes when it comes to hauntings.
He said: 'It has a significant number of ghosts in there, that's the difference with it.'
'It's a fascinating building and an important part of our heritage.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1otTCua80

rynner2 said:
The wafting smell of burning wood is also believed to be a ghostly reminder of the building's previous use as a fire station.

The Fire Station caught fire?

Oooh, my youngest lives in Brum. I'll drag her to the Trocadero next time I'm over! :D

It's one of lifes minor mysteries to me why my boss, sharp as a tack on business matters and much else besides, knowing full well the nature of those two reprobates I worked with Alf and Frankie,moved the business into an old church right next door to the Anchor pub :?
I'm pretty sure the landlord John, told us the pub was haunted, but there may well have been alcohol involved.
What is clear is that it eventually became the Livingstone Dance Academy,and there were reports of poltergeist type activity from it's staff and members.
The old church itself being supposedly haunted (It's now an ATS tyre depot)
it sounds like paranormal central, but frustratingly, I never saw or heard anything in either location.

Burton Arms, Burton Fleming, E. Yorkshire.

I'm just back from a bike rally at a splendid campsite in Burton Fleming - part of the site's splendidness is that it incorporates its very own stone circle in one of the camping fields...

A couple of the other bikers had arrived earlier in the week, and last night they recounted to me how they'd been in the village pub one evening shortly after they arrived, watching packets of peanuts detach themselves from the card behind the bar, and fall to the floor, with no obvious reason for them to do so. The barmaid was quite blase, saying that it was a "Mr Crigley" (I am guessing the spelling), who haunts the pub. That same evening, there was seemingly also some business with a wine glass moving of its own accord, but the details are now garbled in my memory, other than the fact that no-one had actually ordered any wine that night.

Apparently, the story goes that the unfortunate Mr Crigley was an electrician contracted to do something with the pub's wiring, and ended up electrocuting himself on site. Ever since, he has been unhappy that the pub remains open, and makes minor mischief. The pub has recently changed hands, and the restaurant bit is being refurbished. Mr Crigley is apparently interfering with this, too, removing fresh plaster from the walls overnight.

Now, the sceptic in me says this last details sounds like an excuse from a lazy plasterer, but the rest of the tale was told in a plausible way. It could just be a wind-up, but the mundanity of the detail kind of sold it to me, as did the interplay between the husband and wife telling the story: during other conversations, the one wasn't slow to accuse the other of getting details wrong. That said, I was in the pub on the Friday night, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Mind you, this was before I heard the story, and so I wasn't particularly keeping an eye out for weird events.

But if you fancy a Fortean excuse to justify a trip to the Yorkshire riviera, I gather the pub offers B&B, and as I say, there's quite an idiosyncratic campsite if tents or caravans are more your thing. There's also the Rudstone Monolith just down the road and the Gypsey Race flows through the village.

Brought to you by the E.Yorkshire Tourist Board

Be great if it were true, mind. :D

I went to an FT meet up, up there a few years back, meeting up with some of the Northern archaeology folks. Walked on the moors, exploring ancient settlements uncovered by heath fires, visited dolmen and burial mounds, then went to Whitby to visit the ruined abbey where Dracula first made his home in Britain, met up with another FTer, had some great beer and fish & chips.

It's a great area for all sorts of Fortean related stuff. ;)

Were they Big D peanuts? Maybe the ghost wanted to see a bare naked lady? Or do they not make those anymore (the peanuts, not the ladies)?

Back