• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I wish they’d do it more often. So many times they get away with it.
Like with trees with preservation orders on - people cut them down and then shrug and say 'well, they're gone now...'

I'd guess they'd just say they can't afford to rebuild, and that's that. Historic building gone, owners vanish, council takes possession and builds a block of lucrative flats.

Like with trees with preservation orders on - people cut them down and then shrug and say 'well, they're gone now...'

I'd guess they'd just say they can't afford to rebuild, and that's that. Historic building gone, owners vanish, council takes possession and builds a block of lucrative flats.
It’s like how inconvenient buildings getting in the way often seem to catch fire.

I know of one old pub whose landlord wanted to build a massive extension and expensive re-modelling the interior.
While he was waiting for permission - it was a listed building - he decided to crack on with a mini-digger, took out a supporting wall and a third of the place collapsed!
Ordered to rebuild, it was ... with the proposed internal re-modelling and extra extension.

I believe "money changed hands".

My son has just taken on the licence of a pub - apparently they call the ghost there 'Harry'. Does various things like turning equipment on and off and moving bottles/glasses. Will do further investigations... The pub is The Frankland Arms in Thirsk, old building, so I wouldn't put anything past it.

My son has just taken on the licence of a pub - apparently they call the ghost there 'Harry'. Does various things like turning equipment on and off and moving bottles/glasses. Will do further investigations... The pub is The Frankland Arms in Thirsk, old building, so I wouldn't put anything past it.
They could train Harry to retrieve used glasses and wash them up!

While the pub does trade on it's paranormal history - what with cursed galleons, chairs and such - I've witnessed one strange occurrence in The Old Trip to Jerusalem.
In the small 'back room', which is actually at the front, I've walked into it to see (and smell) a small cloud of pipe tobacco smoke gradually dissipate.

Hi catseye I’ve been in there for a pint many moons ago and about every other pub in one night.
Ahh when I was a lad
Quite a few of the other local pubs didn't make it through Covid, sadly, so there's a few less than there would have been in your time! Explains why the Frankland is doing so well... (well, that and the fact that my son and his wife are turning it into a lovely place to go!)

Quite a few of the other local pubs didn't make it through Covid, sadly, so there's a few less than there would have been in your time! Explains why the Frankland is doing so well... (well, that and the fact that my son and his wife are turning it into a lovely place to go!)

Looks a nice old place, it's good to see a grassed beer garden these days as well.

We expect a detailed report on your findings in due course.

Saying pubs or hotels are haunted is just a con to get the punters in.
The former owner of The Globe in Milverton, Somerset didn't think so. When he undertook renovations back in the early 2000s something really quite evil was disturbed. This manifested as unpleasant poltergeist behaviour with beer taps being left on causing costly wastage, glasses and bottles smashing and the manager pushed on the stairs etc. They weren't laughing about it when I met them in 2006, quite the opposite. They had to bring in a medium who advised them to always keep a lamp on in a certain corner and this immediately calmed down the activity. They may have also called in a priest, but when pressed he was a bit coy about it all. I was under strict instructions never to turn the lamp off at the base (it was also wired into a wall socket with no on/off switch).

So sorry, can't agree.

Saying pubs or hotels are haunted is just a con to get the punters in.
I'm sure a lot of the time it is. It's just something to put in the advertising. Although pubs tend to be old buildings with the associated tunnels, shaky walls, dodgy electrics and on busy roads with vibrations from passing traffic and I think this might account for many of the 'hauntings' that go on.

I'm going down to the Frankland on Monday so I'll ask for some particulars (particularly history of said ghost).

Looks like they will be forced to undertake a brick by brick reconstruction. It’s a hollow victory though when one can only walk into a facsimile of the original building.

Can anybody tell me, in these brick by brick rebuilds we have heard about in the press in recent years, are they required to reuse the original materials wherever possible, or do they just knock up a copy with new masonry, timbers, glazing and interiors?

Intriguing thing about a building in our town. It’s now a Boots and we were talking about ghosts (on FB) and someone who worked there said the top floor was really spooky. They thought it was the original building but people saying the original building (funnily enough a pub) had been pulled down and the current building built. Strangely the conversation disappeared. I wondered if the building had been knocked down when it shouldn’t have been. I’ve looked and the current building is built in the same style as the old one. Usually new buildings are their own design, although there is another building that was rebuilt to look like the previous one. It’s just the confusion and the conversation disappearing that made me wonder.

Intriguing thing about a building in our town. It’s now a Boots and we were talking about ghosts (on FB) and someone who worked there said the top floor was really spooky. They thought it was the original building but people saying the original building (funnily enough a pub) had been pulled down and the current building built. Strangely the conversation disappeared. I wondered if the building had been knocked down when it shouldn’t have been. I’ve looked and the current building is built in the same style as the old one. Usually new buildings are their own design, although there is another building that was rebuilt to look like the previous one. It’s just the confusion and the conversation disappearing that made me wonder.
The new shop is twice the size but look at the left hand side it has the same window pattern. You can’t see it on the modern picture but the roof looks similar too. I wish I’d found out more about the haunting.

Edit- I’ve looked up the old plans and it just says redevelopment which can cover a multitude of sins.

Attachments

• 3B2201BD-ED48-4A7B-9018-CD03FE78C64A.jpeg
    3B2201BD-ED48-4A7B-9018-CD03FE78C64A.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 4EFF6FAA-8BE5-47F6-8F6B-9F6F2B1CBD24.jpeg
    4EFF6FAA-8BE5-47F6-8F6B-9F6F2B1CBD24.jpeg
    856.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Looks like they will be forced to undertake a brick by brick reconstruction. It’s a hollow victory though when one can only walk into a facsimile of the original building.

Can anybody tell me, in these brick by brick rebuilds we have heard about in the press in recent years, are they required to reuse the original materials wherever possible, or do they just knock up a copy with new masonry, timbers, glazing and interiors?
Trouble is that it will never be the same no matter how they do it. Cement will be used instead of lime (for mortar), silicone sealant instead of putty etc. Even if they do use the old methods, they won't be done with the same skill. Ever seen a joiner putty in a window, or a plumber wipe a lead joint? Very few people could do those today.

I think they have to use as much of the original material as they can.

Trouble is that it will never be the same no matter how they do it. Cement will be used instead of lime (for mortar), silicone sealant instead of putty etc. Even if they do use the old methods, they won't be done with the same skill. Ever seen a joiner putty in a window, or a plumber wipe a lead joint? Very few people could do those today.
My friends are making repairs on their 19th century school. The building was converted in the 1980s and quite frankly it was botched. Their repairs will have to use lime mortar to let the granite breathe properly and keep out the damp, replace iron drainpipes like for like, be as authentic as possible because it's a listed building. The authorities today are a lot more picky about that kind of renovation. And it ain't cheap!

Okay, I asked my daughter in law to message me with what she knew about the ghosts of the Frankland Arms. This is what she said...

'We're not entirely sure who Harry is, just that he haunts the pub. So far he turns the juke box on at 6am if it's not turned off at the wall. Heknocks things off shelves even when they're secure. Harry only stays in the pub though, upstairs we have a man called Eddie, a little girl and a dog. They walk the hall, giggle (apparently), poke you in teh back and the dog apparently hates his collar cause he shakes it an awful lot.'

It might be noteable or it might be a pure co incidence, but since they moved in she's started having acute migraines.

They've only been in a few months though, so we shall see what time brings. My son used to work there before he took over the licence, so he knows more about the ghost stories than his wife, so I shall have to corner him and ask him about the stories too. I know nothing about the history of the building at all.

That’s great catseye really looking forward to hearing from them in the future.
Are you going to try and get a invite to stay there

My friends are making repairs on their 19th century school. The building was converted in the 1980s and quite frankly it was botched. Their repairs will have to use lime mortar to let the granite breathe properly and keep out the damp, replace iron drainpipes like for like, be as authentic as possible because it's a listed building. The authorities today are a lot more picky about that kind of renovation. And it ain't cheap!
Yes, iron downpipes and guttering alone aren't cheap.

I do hate to see old buildings bodged. Pipes and vents etc through walls are often a major cause. People don't seem to know how to drill holes properly anymore and just burst the brick/stonework off then slawm it up with mortar. It looks terrible. A good example of a case here with a Victorian building (built in Jacobean style).;
Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 11-52-58 Google Maps.png

That’s great catseye really looking forward to hearing from them in the future.
Are you going to try and get a invite to stay there
They only live twenty miles down the road, I don't need to stay. But I DO have to drive over Sutton Bank to visit, so tend to go only when the weather is fairly clement (Sutton Bank was closed most of last week due to snow and ice).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Bank

But I shall keep you updated, and prod them for further information.

Back