• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Shops

I'm reminded of a former record store in my nearby town of Nuneaton (I think it's a tanning salon now, where people go to be laminated and painted orange) which has a series of apparently very active hauntings.

The previous owner has published a number of blogs about her time as custodian of the building and the various phenomena she experienced - from an old man who walked up the stairway to the second floor only to disappear once he reaches the landings to a phantom alarm that was set off at one minute to midnight on New Year's Eve. A few former members of staff have since come forward with their own experiences, and I'd be fascinated to learn more.

The street in which the store is located was badly damaged during the Coventry Blitz, so I wonder if there's a great link between the two.

I'm reminded of a former record store in my nearby town of Nuneaton (I think it's a tanning salon now, where people go to be laminated and painted orange) which has a series of apparently very active hauntings.

The previous owner has published a number of blogs about her time as custodian of the building and the various phenomena she experienced - from an old man who walked up the stairway to the second floor only to disappear once he reaches the landings to a phantom alarm that was set off at one minute to midnight on New Year's Eve. A few former members of staff have since come forward with their own experiences, and I'd be fascinated to learn more.

The street in which the store is located was badly damaged during the Coventry Blitz, so I wonder if there's a great link between the two.

You reminded me about the alarm that went off in our shop in an unused stairwell. I’m going to miss the ghosts.
621D9FFB-8988-43A4-9FC4-69E2780C85E7.jpeg

This topic has sparked off a memory of a podcast I listened to last year, in which the writer and investigator Ruth Roper Wylde was interviewed alongside the founder of the country lifestyle blog Muddy Stilettos about haunted Oxfordshire.

Ruth told of an account she'd read in which a group of children in the late 60s saw a ghostly hand in what was a (I believe) sweet shop in (I think) a village near Oxford. I'll see if I can dig out any more information, but it sounded like an interesting story with a number of witnesses (who admittedly may have been absolutely buzzed on sugar, at the time!)

This topic has sparked off a memory of a podcast I listened to last year, in which the writer and investigator Ruth Roper Wylde was interviewed alongside the founder of the country lifestyle blog Muddy Stilettos about haunted Oxfordshire.

Ruth told of an account she'd read in which a group of children in the late 60s saw a ghostly hand in what was a (I believe) sweet shop in (I think) a village near Oxford. I'll see if I can dig out any more information, but it sounded like an interesting story with a number of witnesses (who admittedly may have been absolutely buzzed on sugar, at the time!)
The shop was "Mrs Bumbles" in Burford, Oxfordshire. The accounts of the hand came from a discussion thread in response to a request from me for information on another property in the area. The full story appears in "These Haunted Times Volume 1". Cheers.

I know the shop. But I thought it was the last shop in the row.

Back