• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Swimming Pool?

A few years ago I was working in another country and the company put me up in a small hotel. There was a swimming pool in the basement so on the first night there I went down to check it out. I was the only one there, but the area itself felt fine and I didn't feel nervous or scared about being there alone. Actually the opposite as the pool was really quite tiny - only about 25 metres long, and any more than two people would have been crowded.

The room, whilst in the basement, did have windows high up on one side = the building was on a hill and the land at the front of the building was higher than the back, if that makes sense. It was still light out and the daylight was coming through the windows, although there were lights on as well. The effect, with the sunlight, was that the area of the room I was standing in, at the shallow end, was lighter than the deep end which was a little darker and had a few shadows. I started swimming, but as I got to the middle of the pool for some reason I started feeling worried, and almost as though I didn't want to swim any closer. I did swim the whole length, and then swam back again immediately. I got out and had a look, and the only thing I could see was there was a long shadow which cut across the corner of the pool. It was very obviously a shadow - this wasn't a case where it looked like something else out of the corner of my eye, but still, when I tried again to swim a length, it seemed to just emit something that made me not want to swim over it. I'm a confident swimmer, and the pool wasn't very deep, even in the deep end, and I've not had a reaction like that before in a pool.

To this day I don't know what it was, but I honestly felt like I didn't want to swim over the shadow - like it would come and get me. I tried swimming around it, but it just still seemed to be there. In the end I gave up and went back to my room. I couldn't bring myself to go back there.
Maybe the whole 'primitive brain' thing about not swimming if there's something big and black in the water? The same sort of feeling that makes us afraid of the dark in case of man eating wolves, or the woods?

I've had something really similar to this. I used to work in a hotel/spa that had a fairly large pool in a separate building. We'd quite often use the pool after closing. Turning the lights down so we wouldn't attract any attention from managers who might have been patrolling the grounds! (There were still underwater lights in the pool though).

One night, with one other friend, I'd been swimming for about 30 mins and was suddenly overcome by this deep sense of dread in the water, I could of sworn it got darker and felt like it had become bottomless and was pulling me into a void. I just couldn't bring myself to complete a length and in a state of utter panic, got out the pool on the nearest side, sharpish, and got swiftly out of there.

I'm not saying it's remotely paranormal but I had never had it before or after when swimming there and it sticks in mind for the sheer weirdness of it.

I've had something really similar to this. I used to work in a hotel/spa that had a fairly large pool in a separate building. We'd quite often use the pool after closing. Turning the lights down so we wouldn't attract any attention from managers who might have been patrolling the grounds! (There were still underwater lights in the pool though).

One night, with one other friend, I'd been swimming for about 30 mins and was suddenly overcome by this deep sense of dread in the water, I could of sworn it got darker and felt like it had become bottomless and was pulling me into a void. I just couldn't bring myself to complete a length and in a state of utter panic, got out the pool on the nearest side, sharpish, and got swiftly out of there.

I'm not saying it's remotely paranormal but I had never had it before or after when swimming there and it sticks in mind for the sheer weirdness of it.
I think, if you'd just finished work and were tired, it may have been your brain telling you that you weren't really 'fit' to swim? Water is dangerous and if you aren't in optimal condition it is so so easy to drown. We tend to underestimate danger these days, because we're so used to everything being made safe for us (or maybe we just overestimate our own abilities?) but some things really can still kill us. And our brains know it.

Good post, thanks.

Obviously more likely that there was something down there that felt like a pair of hands rather than actually being a pair of hands.

Back