• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Thailand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ations_in_Thailand#Northeastern_(Isan_region)

Stumbled on thos list of supposedly haunted places in Thailand. Very interesting.
It's always interesting to learn of other countries' folk lore and ghost stories. The description of a benevolent lady in green helping others is quite a different ghost than, say, the lady in white ghost (more of an English ghost?) who seems to be a passive type of ghost who does not interact with people.

Good Thread!

I'm really into Thai Horror films and have read some Thai horror fiction as well.

I asked a couple of Thai friends about their ghost stories a couple of years ago, now I can't remember them very well. We had been drinking. One of them was a floating disembodied head, if I recall correctly. I suspect that Thai ghosts, like Japanese or Chinese ones, are a slightly different category of thing than Western ghosts.

Thailand, while a buddhist country, also has a very noticeable animist substrate to its buddhism, so there are spirits everywhere.

I asked a couple of Thai friends about their ghost stories a couple of years ago, now I can't remember them very well. We had been drinking. One of them was a floating disembodied head, if I recall correctly. I suspect that Thai ghosts, like Japanese or Chinese ones, are a slightly different category of thing than Western ghosts.

Thailand, while a buddhist country, also has a very noticeable animist substrate to its buddhism, so there are spirits everywhere.

I recall watching a very good video about the prison in Thailand known as the Bangkok Hilton and the hauntings that occur there. Most were due to executions that took place there, prisoner on prisoner murders plus the restless souls of those who died there whose spirits now roam due to the evil they did here when alive.

@lordmongrove, how do you translate the pages? I could only read the one about the ghostly cinema goers as it was already English.
I managed to translate the pages while on my computer. For some reason the option doesn't seem to be available on my phone.

Back