• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunting yourself

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever had any experience of this..........?
A number of years ago there was a record by a group called Bad Manners. Although the title, Special Brew, is unimportant, it was a silly, fun, party song. It was just one of those daft novelty records that used to get into the charts in the 80s and you either loved them or hated them. I actually quite liked this one and being young, full of the joys of life and living in my first house with my very loved girlfreind, I used to play around the house singing it in a stupid voice and all that sort of stuff. We all do this stuff, right? you know how it is.

One saturday afternoon, we were doing some housework upstairs. The house was locked up as it always is when we are upstairs. The house was empty other than us two, and we were in the same room. There were no windows, open or otherwise on the top of the stairs which were situated at the centre of the house.

Very loudly and causing us both to jump came around 3 or 4 seconds of ME singing "special brew". The (my!) voice was loud and clear and we both reckoned that it was coming from a spot on the landing just outside the bedroom door. The door was open so we know there wasnt anyone there. It wasnt my girlfreind joking around with a tape-recorder either as I originally thought, besides, she was as mortified as me.

For all intents and purposes, my voice singing a very silly song came belting out of thin air for a few seconds. Ive only ever told family and freinds about this until I found this site. Can anyone give me any info about if this has happened before, please?

Fascinating - and unique so far as I know. There are lots of
audio ghosts heard by ear or captured on tape but the notion
of walls as a recording media has always seemed a flawed
analogy to tape - tapes themselves are entirely silent until
recorded and played back.

The idea that a voice recognizably
your own came back to haunt you suggests that places do have
the ability to remember sounds. It does leave us more puzzled
than ever as to what on earth the mechanism can be. :confused:

Skeptical answer: your subconscious was remembering this song, and perhaps you were quietly humming it, causing your S.O. to pick up the idea too, causing a mini 'mass hysteria' effect.

Spiritualist answer: a disembodied sprit of some kind was able to tune into your mind, and realised that it could effect some kind of communication by using the song.

Pseudo-science Answer: there was a time slip, linking you to the last time you sang the song there.

rynner's answer: Idunno

Many thanks to those who replied. All the replies were feasable in theory, I suppose. Im open-minded enougth not to "paint myself into a corner" regarding what I think the source of the voice might have been. All I really know is what happened to us for a very breif and shocking few seconds, never heard it before that and Ive never heard it again. There has never been any other strange happenings in my house as far as I am aware. Im glad that my girlfreind was there as Im sure it would have absolutely terrified me if I was in the house on my own. As it was, we were just both very shocked and stunned for a while but then saw the sillyness and humour in the thing.

I've seen myself but never heard myself.

Something vaguely similar-

When I was about 14, I was home alone with my Ma when we heard a telephone ring. It sounded as if it was in the front hall, where people often had their phone at the time. My Ma was in another room and she walked in, looked at me and said, 'Answer the phone then!' irritatedly, as if she knew I was expecting a call. She then walked out again.

But we didn't have a phone then, or for about five years after that.....

The phone we heard ringing was perfectly loud, just as if it were in the house, and it was an old-fashioned ring just as you'd have expected in the early 70s.

I was, and remain, baffled by this. The only sound in the house was my Ma's radio, playing quietly on the dreaded Radio 2, and we lived in an end terrace house so only had one neighbouring house, which had no phone either.

I asked my Ma about this incident later and she had no memory of it.

The only idea I can think of that wasn't already listed would possibly be some kind of attempted communication. If someone/something had no concept of your language, it might record and play it back in hopes of eliciting some kind of response.

I have a idea that is pretty unlikely....

I have heard of theorys of other dimentions/parrellel universe that come close to ours at some points a TV show from a few years back callled "sliders" was about a group of people who could go to other dimentiions and meet other versions of them selves etc, I don't no if alot if any of the show was based on real science theory but one time they came to an earth the same as their own exept it was 20 yrs before on this earth and the main character met his child self....

so maybe a parrellel universe that was similar to ours exept a few hours behind came to contact and you heard another version of you?

yeah unlikely I know but it has to be somthing

but then just as likely is the idea of you at some future date going back in time and singing through a time warp......

Yeah, ripples on the pond. If some run into something solid they'll ripple right on back...

Back