Have We Heard The Warning Bell? An All Electric Future

Sid

Devoted Cultist
The first thing Mr Zebra and I did when we heard about the power cut in South America was come to the same conclusion... "hmm, are they testing out the population's response to a major power cut by trying it out on less developed countries?"

Not that we're cynics or anything. But as you say, there isn't just one power station involved in something like this.

If all the power was turned off, there would be mass panic. Not least, unfortunately, because a lot of people would be unable to access Facebook / Twitter and would therefore be unable to function as human beings.

We are... we've got some coal left over in our bunker from last winter... :D

Seconded... link would be nice, please @INT21
I think I still have forkandle's under the kitchen sink!

INT21

Antediluvian
We did have. Inherited a box from my mother. But my wife threw them out a while ago.

When I mentioned 'belt and braces, my Dear', she misunderstood and told me if I ate less I wouldn't need them.

But paraffin has become so expensive that using paraffin lamps in an emergency is no longer viable.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
A few weeks ago a house 2 doors down lost all their power. Power company came to dig up the street. It was an epic hole, and we all had to have the power turned off for a while for it to be fixed.

Last week we had a localised power cut. Most, but not all of the cul-de-sac went out. One street light stayed on. Nearby streets also had loss, but not all. I later looked it up online, 86 homes in 4 postcodes affected. Just a fraction of the estate.

It came back after about 3 hours. Mum was seriously unimpressed as she missed the final episode of Poldark! Because I'd phoned to report it, I got a response text saying it was a fuse at the substation.

I notice today the power company are round the corner with 5 vans and more epic holes.

Plus there was the more recent widespread national powercut.

So what is going on? Is this just shabby infrastructure failing? And why? Natural aging of facilities, corporate cutbacks, some greater conspiratorial reasons?

Everytime it happens now, I'm thinking 'is this it? Is this when it goes out and never comes back?'

Cochise

Antediluvian
We have sometimes lost power out here for days at a time, despite being in the next valley to a power station. We are all organised - gennys (petrol, or diesel) oil lamps, paraffin heaters etc. If supplies of oil based products dry up we will be back to burning wood - for which we are also prepared. There is a pile of wood seasoning outside my back door as we speak. I will lay in a stock of coal as well before they stop selling it.

I also have an independent water supply.

What you folk who live in cities are going to do i can't imagine.