• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Got A Double?

I had one in the town I used to live in & I believe her name was 'Stacey' people always used to shout "Stacey!" If I was across the street from them & wave. I can remember one bloke chasing me shouting Stacey and I didn't want to embarrass him by shouting "I'm not stacey!" So I kept running hahaha . He caught up with me eventually and when he saw me face to face close up he apologised that he had got the wrong person. Me & my friends often laugh about it now 10 years later.

He, presumably, isn't laughing quite so hard from his cell.

Why the hell did he KEEP RUNNING AFTER A WOMAN WHO WAS RUNNING AWAY?!?!

I was on the train from Beverley in East Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago. Sitting on the other side of the carriage, was a guy who looked just like me. I sneakily took a few snaps to show my family, work colleagues etc and they're all gob smacked! I noticed his friend look in my direction and say something to him. I think they saw the similarities too.

Screenshot_20190426-141000.png
_20170327_083056.JPG

What do you reckon?

Yes a very close match imo. Must be odd seeing someone like you - a mirror image experience. Don't know how I would react.
Having said that I never ever thought my sister and I were alike. Then I wore a long dark wig to a fancy dress party. I couldn't believe how alike we were when I looked in a mirror and couldn't stop looking. She is 8 years younger than me though.

I had one in the town I used to live in & I believe her name was 'Stacey' people always used to shout "Stacey!" If I was across the street from them & wave. I can remember one bloke chasing me shouting Stacey and I didn't want to embarrass him by shouting "I'm not stacey!" So I kept running hahaha . He caught up with me eventually and when he saw me face to face close up he apologised that he had got the wrong person. Me & my friends often laugh about it now 10 years later.
Not a lookalike but many years ago, husband and I were walking through Edgbaston in Bham and this super familiar looking woman started frantically waving at us and shouting hello across the street. Totally nonplussed who she was, but thinking vaguely maybe it was someone we'd once met and forgotten, we waved back. It was only a few minutes later we realised it was the MP, Claire Short...

No idea if she greeted all randomers that way but she was very friendly.

ETA: I often wondered afterwards if we didn't just both look like someone else she knew. Her greeting was so OTT.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me... My grandad was a very 'friendly' gentleman when it came to the ladies. Extremely friendly. My dad was an only child but grew up hearing his dad had numerous offspring all over North Leeds. He never met any of them but for sure they existed. He only knew the first name of one of them. But I'd imagine he could have been innocently wandering around and suddenly stumbled on a lookalike to himself, given that countless strangers shared half his genes. We did find one stranger's birth certificate amongst my grandad's papers.

Not a look-a-like or doppelganger as such, but about 25-30 years ago I always used to see a girl around town and in the nightclubs that was a bit of an 'it girl' in the sense that she had a distinctive look - willowy figure, pixie-haircut, could have been a fashion model.
Then in 2000, while I was in Sydney, there was a girl who was exactly the same - same willowy figure, same pixie-haircut, and, bizarrely, same personality and voice!. All that was different was the face. Both were really attractive and lovely, just that one difference fascinated me!

Very close match.

Can I ask, are your family all from Yorkshire?
You have a "Norwegian" look to you, so I would expect a fair amount of Viking DNA?
If your family have been based there so about 1000 years and so has your double's, it is quite possible you share a common Viking ancestor.

Years ago I moved area to start college. It seemed pretty friendly as most people I met said "Hi". There was a couple of girls I knew from my area who gave me gyp for ignoring them one night out. I said I didn't remember seeing them I think they thought I was trying to distance myself from them. Any way after a while it became apparent I had a double. He called Steve.A naughty double at that!A guy in my class saw "me"getting thrown out of a nightclub and scuffling with the bouncers.Steve was doing me no favours at making a good impression with my new class mates.I was in a bar one night with a class mate, when a guy came in all shady looking about and came up to me and whispered "alright Steve I'm a mate of Jonny's have you got any gear?"{or words to that effect}I actually laughed and told the guy he was mistaken, and i was'nt Steve. The guy I believe, thought I was Steve and fobbng him offf as I didn't know him. He kept protesting that he was kosher!Any way I did see Steve and was pretty amazed at the likeness. He was the same height as me and even walked the same. His friend done a double take and was looking at me and back to Steve. However Steve was too busy having an angry rant about something to notice. Now that I think about it, he maybe his sales had dropped since I moved to town!

Very close match.

Can I ask, are your family all from Yorkshire?
You have a "Norwegian" look to you, so I would expect a fair amount of Viking DNA?
If your family have been based there so about 1000 years and so has your double's, it is quite possible you share a common Viking ancestor.
Most of my family were / are from Yorkshire, apart from my maternal grandfather, who was from 'darn sarf'. Streatham to be precise.

Just to be clear: I should probably have added a smiley to my reply. No allegations of a Daily Mirror nature were intended.

My apologies.

maximus otter

No offence taken mate.

If i looked like Robert Plant it would be better.

As it is, I’m at least a foot taller and 20 years younger than Angus...and I don’t have an Australian accent.

I should have been offended, but hey, I’m am male.

Had a strong family resemblance event last year. My late mothers cousin sadly passed away and her ashes were brought back here to her 'real home' as she had lived in Southern England after marrying and moving away. As we got out of the car in the cemetery I saw an elderly lady and her daughter walking towards us but what struck me was the strong family resemblance of the lady. I remarked casually to my sister about the likeness and she agreed saying they must be distant relatives we never knew we had. No more was said until later after the ceremony when we went to a local golf club for a family meal. We began talking to the ladies and I happened to remark how so much like my late mother she was and that we must be related. The lady and her daughter both agreed and we then spent some time trying to work out if there was a family link. I couldn't believe how much she looked like my mother and my grandmother ( and me and my sister). They both said that when they saw me at the cemetery they remarked about the resemblance and that we must be related. Anyway turns out she wasn't from our part of the family after all but from my cousins mothers side. We all ended up still convinced there was a link somewhere and it threw me to watch her chatting away she was so like my mother and the distinctive chin and mouth area as well as expressions and also around the eyes. It was like looking at my mother again. Not that it upset me. However I couldn't stop staring at her and remarking about the likeness. Funny way to break the ice and meet new people though.

I took my daughters to a Bon Jovi concert in Hyde Park many summers ago and a couple of girls mistook me for Phil Mitchel, a character from a long running U.K. soap opera. We heard them saying it is him isn’t it over and over again in an attempt to gain my attention. In the end I spun round gave them a wave and blew them a kiss. Lots of blushing and giggling ensued and they probably still recount their meeting to friends and associates. My two teenage daughters tutted, rolled their eyes and called me a fraud.

When I was in my early teens, for about a year, I used to get mistaken for someone called Gaynor. It stopped happening until I was in my early twenties and living in a different town and I hear that name shouted at me, so either I had two lookalikes with the same name or I had coincidentally moved to the same town as my lookalike.
I did meet one of my doubles once. I used to live in Cologne and work as a teacher and my students were always telling me that they had seen me out in various places where I knew I hadn't been. I should probably point out that I am rather non descript looking, but I do have quite a quirky dress sense, lots of reds and purples including a big red afghan coat that I used to wear a lot. One day I see a woman walking towards me. She has on the exact same coat along with red trousers and a cheese cloth top which I am also wearing. She also looked remarkably like me. We look at each other and smile and I could just tell she was thinking ' So you're the person people keep mistaking me for.'

I was once walking in a city centre when I was aware that a car had come to a halt just in front of me, and then reversed to be alongside me. The two guys in the front seats were both leaning over and looking at me intently, not at all bothered that I'd clocked them, but with that slightly quizzical look that indicates they aren't entirely sure that you are who they think you might be.

In the few days I'd been in that particular city I'd already had several double takes - but this isn't unusual; I have a feeling I've got one of those faces people feel they are familiar with when they aren't - and this wouldn't normally have made me particularly paranoid.

But this was Belfast in the latish 90's. Not great being somebody's double at the time (and probably still not ideal) - not when you aren't sure what they'd been up to, and who they might have made enemies with.

DuanePipe / Rushfan62, I think your eyebrows are more expressive than your double's eyebrows.

When I was young, people often said, "you look just like my niece/sister/cousin/friend/fill-in-the-blank!" I usually replied "oh, poor things," or "how unfortunate for them," or something like that. I was really thinking that they just weren't very observant, as I'm a distinct, easily categorized phenotype, and I believed that most people were careless about details. Your photos reveal that sometimes the resemblance is very close.

Nowadays, no one says I look like someone they know -- except one time last year -- maybe my other doubles have died of old age!

Back