• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Got A Double?

There's a guy who juggles devil-sticks as he walks around a nearby neighborhood. Apparently, he's my spitting image, right down to the facial hair and hat. I've only seen him once, from a distance, and there was definitely a similarity.

Anyhow, now, when a stranger comes up to me and says, "You look familiar...are you...." I immediately respond with, "Yeah, I'm the guy who's not the Devil-Stick-Guy." With a smile, of course, as it doesn't bother me any.

Wife and I took the kids out for a winters walk the other day. The walk’s not particularly long, but it’s very picturesque.

It starts off opposite an 18th century watermill, then goes, Woodland, countryside, riverside, through a tiny hamlet, back to woodland, through a different tiny hamlet which then leads you back to the mill.

Anyway, half way through we were sitting on a fallen tree just on the outskirts of the first hamlet, when a transit van pulled up nearby. Inside the van were two very dodgy looking men, and by dodgy I mean shaven heads, tattoo’s on both arms, missing teeth, facial scars etc.

The driver gets out and shouts at me in a strong Eastern European accent.

Driver – Hey Pete
I just looked at him
Driver again – Hey Pete
Me – I’m not Pete
Driver – You’re not Pete..?
Me – No
Driver – But I thought you were Pete
Me – Well I’m not Pete.
Driver – Your sure you’re not Pete?
Me -Yes

He then gives me the middle finger, gets back in the van and drove off.

I laugh about it now but at the time it could have gone a lot worse in such an isolated part of the countryside

Some people eh :)

Wife and I took the kids out for a winters walk the other day. The walk’s not particularly long, but it’s very picturesque.

It starts off opposite an 18th century watermill, then goes, Woodland, countryside, riverside, through a tiny hamlet, back to woodland, through a different tiny hamlet which then leads you back to the mill.

Anyway, half way through we were sitting on a fallen tree just on the outskirts of the first hamlet, when a transit van pulled up nearby. Inside the van were two very dodgy looking men, and by dodgy I mean shaven heads, tattoo’s on both arms, missing teeth, facial scars etc.

The driver gets out and shouts at me in a strong Eastern European accent.

Driver – Hey Pete
I just looked at him
Driver again – Hey Pete
Me – I’m not Pete
Driver – You’re not Pete..?
Me – No
Driver – But I thought you were Pete
Me – Well I’m not Pete.
Driver – Your sure you’re not Pete?
Me -Yes

He then gives me the middle finger, gets back in the van and drove off.

I laugh about it now but at the time it could have gone a lot worse in such an isolated part of the countryside

Some people eh :)
You should change the writing under your avatar to 'not Pete' .. I might start calling you Pete from now on :)

I once passed my doppelgänger in the street, and to my dismay now we didn’t speak! I am 6feet tall which is tall for a woman, and when I was 17, as now, I had long dark hair and olive skin. We lived in a pub and I set off one day for a walk to town and coming towards me was a young woman who looked exactly like me! Same height, long dark hair and olive skin. Jeans and tee shirt like me. As we got nearer she noticed me and we locked eyes, walked past each other and as we passed we smiled and then off she went and off I went. How I wished we had stopped to talk but being 17 I was too shy.
when my daughter was in a pushchair aged about 2 (23 years ago) we were walking down our road when a man who looked so much like my husband it was amazing came walking towards us, the only difference was he was a bit shorter. My daughter started shouting ‘daddy daddy!!’ To which the poor man looked completely shocked (thinking god have I gathered a child???) as we got closer I said to him ‘goodness you look just like my husband!’ My daughter actually started to cry and got distressed thinking daddy had passed us in the street! He nodded snd smiled and carried on his way. I used to see him a lot after that but never when I was with my husband!
in the same vain but not exactly the same, once I went to the post office when I was about 10 with my mum because I think she was opening an account or something and when we told her my four names, the woman behind the desk said to us that amazingly her grand daughter was called exactly the same!

I once passed my doppelgänger in the street, and to my dismay now we didn’t speak! I am 6feet tall which is tall for a woman, and when I was 17, as now, I had long dark hair and olive skin. We lived in a pub and I set off one day for a walk to town and coming towards me was a young woman who looked exactly like me! Same height, long dark hair and olive skin. Jeans and tee shirt like me. As we got nearer she noticed me and we locked eyes, walked past each other and as we passed we smiled and then off she went and off I went. How I wished we had stopped to talk but being 17 I was too shy.
when my daughter was in a pushchair aged about 2 (23 years ago) we were walking down our road when a man who looked so much like my husband it was amazing came walking towards us, the only difference was he was a bit shorter. My daughter started shouting ‘daddy daddy!!’ To which the poor man looked completely shocked (thinking god have I gathered a child???) as we got closer I said to him ‘goodness you look just like my husband!’ My daughter actually started to cry and got distressed thinking daddy had passed us in the street! He nodded snd smiled and carried on his way. I used to see him a lot after that but never when I was with my husband!
in the same vain but not exactly the same, once I went to the post office when I was about 10 with my mum because I think she was opening an account or something and when we told her my four names, the woman behind the desk said to us that amazingly her grand daughter was called exactly the same!
Meant to say fathered a child not gathered!

I was watching a tv show about English ambulances and one of the call takers was really like my friend's daughter except that her hair was blonde and the accent of course.
When I told my friend she said that actually her daughter was blonde but dyed it darker.

Yes a very close match imo. Must be odd seeing someone like you - a mirror image experience. Don't know how I would react.
Having said that I never ever thought my sister and I were alike. Then I wore a long dark wig to a fancy dress party. I couldn't believe how alike we were when I looked in a mirror and couldn't stop looking. She is 8 years younger than me though.
You can't always see the resemblance yourself. My two youngest and I often comment on each other's photos 'Can Ma/Escette/Escet/I have that face back please?' :chuckle:

My son's body shape and posture are unmistakably mine as he gets older, poor lad.

I like the phrase "to gather a child" as an alternative to "father a child." It sounds pleasantly quaint to me.

052120_PiedPiper_01.jpg

:eek:

maximus otter

Last edited:
I've had two doubles. One was shown to me on a photo, after she had claimed I (a male) looked liked her female friend from Hull. I was pretty astonished when I saw she did. I did ask if she ever got any boyfriends, and apparently she was reasonably popular.
The other was also a girl (bit weird to me). I used to take the bus from Aberdeenshire to Aberdeen for work. A girl got on with her boyfriend. Again, an astonishing likeness. Threw me completely. She wandered over to where I was sitting, then shook her head (in a 'WTF am I doing' manner, rather than negative), then turned around to go sit with her boyfriend who had sat down nearer the front. Wish I'd spoken to her.
I'm not from either the north of England or north of Scotland, so it's not a 'regional look'.

Well! I have at least two looky likies in my home town. I have met one of them and been told of the other. The one I met has similar hair in colour and style, is similar in height and build and has similar facial features. To me we both look very different [even with the similarities] others obviously think we are twins [triplets] or something or are, indeed, the same person.

Sadly having a double [or more] has been very bad for me. I know the person I met that is similar to me is a bit of a bad egg and not liked by many. I know he is not liked as I have been mistaken for him many times and have had a hard job convincing others that I am not him - sometimes it takes intervention from people that know me to stop the troubles.

Things that have happened;

Many times I have gotten told I am rude for ignoring someone in the street or in passing somewhere. It has been difficult at times when relatives, friends or others I know have insisted they saw me and I have had to prove I was at work, at college out of town or even not in the same country at the time someone claimed to have seen me. I was even seen in a city over a hundred miles from my home one day when in reality I was home [I was ill in bed]!

I have been accused of the theft of expensive audio equipment as my accuser 'saw him [me] partying with his mates in his garden and using the stolen items'. Long story short; I did not steal anything and the accuser got my address totally wrong. The items where later recovered and I was told by a family friend involved [stolen from] that the thief did look like me.

Just before covid kicked in [bad word choice] I was in the local 'high' street and a young woman came at me in a rage. She was swearing and threatened to rip me out of my mobility scooter [I have gait ataxia] and give ma 'a good kicking'. She was joined by a less irate women and I tried to explain that I did not live where my accuser said. The first woman would not believe me but the second one managed to calm her down and eventually move her on - both refused to apologies. I had been accused of 'terrorising' an 80 plus year old woman by banging on walls joining my bungalow home and hers and carrying out much more malevolent activities around her. This was [is] all untrue - I live in a semi-detached house adjoining the home of my relative. As the worm turns I later found out the actual [proved] person doing harm is the one I have met that looks similar to me. That 'double' also has mobility issues - some people only see the wheelchair not the person.

I have not spoken more than ten words to a relative in the last 30 years or so. It's not that I do not want to talk to the guy! What happened is that he swears he spoke to me in a shop in town and insists that I turned my nose up at him. My relative was visiting from the other side of the country and took offence that I had disrespected him. Truth is, as I have tried to explain, the relative could not have seen me on the day or at the time stated. I was in another town 25 or so miles away at work at the time. Another relative verified my whereabouts as she worked in the same town, had seen me at work and [by a fluke as her car was broken] got the same bus home as me that day.

I could go on with the negative experiences I have had due to a double or doubles but I will not. Sadly I can think of no positive experiences related to having a double. It is, as folk are want to say, what it is.

Oh! Go on then ... one last tale.

At surgery I went into the doctors office when called. The doctor asked me politely to leave as he had just seen me. I told the doctor my name and his face was an absolute picture of disbelief and confusion. It seems a double of me had seen the doctor on the previous appointment to mine. It just happens that one of the surgery receptionist is a personal friend and she verified my identity. Stange world.

Kind regards all.

My mum was in hospital last month; I visited most days as she was having a rough time. She told me that she woke up one night and saw me walking round checking each patient. Same blue Rab jacket and jeans, same straggly scruffy pony tail (her words not mine), same build, everything. Mum said ‘Hello, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at home?’ Apparently I laughed and said hello. She then said ‘But you’re not qualified to do any of this!’ I apparently laughed again and told her that when they get desperate they ask me to come in and help’ and left the ward. She’s still convinced it was me - although it must be noted she had been administered a large amount of morphine in the few days prior to this encounter, so who knows what was going on in that mind of hers…..

My friend and her husband said they had seen me in a picture of a garage sale posted online.
I had briefly visited it but the owner hadn't taken any photos while we chatted.
Anyway my daughter found it and it didn't look like me at all, different clothes taste, maybe similar build and glasses
but definitely not me.

I bet I’ve got an anti double- I reckon he’s rich, happy and successful ... Bastard.

Recently I was on the internet and came across a photo of a woman and did a double-take, I felt like I was looking at myself, it was really creepy, what an odd feeling. Turns out she has done some acting, not a great success or anything, and I didn't even recognize her name. We have similar eyes, nose, smile and even the fat cheeks, very strange. The good thing is I immediately started doing a makeover on myself, now that I can see what I look like to others! LOL

I never ever thought my sister and I were alike. Then I wore a long dark wig to a fancy dress party. I couldn't believe how alike we were when I looked in a mirror and couldn't stop looking. She is 8 years younger than me though.
I have two younger brothers. If I wear a hat and look in the mirror I see one brother and when I've had my hair cut with a fringe I've seen the other. Scary.

I used to work with identical twins. They went out shopping together and got separated, and one walked up to a full length mirror saying ‘There you are, I wondered where you’d gone’
:rollingw:

I get told fairly regularly that I look a lot like Alec Baldwin which was quite flattering until I realised how old, fat and grey he is now.

Years ago I'd just gotten a new company car (black ford sierra with electric windows, I was the envy of everyone I tell you) and driving down the A3. A car overtook me and I glanced to the right and the guy driving was the spitting image of me, same hairstyle, identical coloured shirt. We both looked a bit startled and he pulled ahead the car was exactly the same model as mine and the registration was one number out (mine was K931 and his was K932). I saw him pull into a petrol station ahead so followed him in and once we got out of the cars we weren't actually that similar looking (vaguely but he was a bit older, I was taller etc) and we had a laugh about it. But was very odd for that split second, especially the number plate

We are planning a trip to the States and herself is watching endless youtube video describing Disneyworld etc etc. One one such video evening I heard her and the kids laughing uproariously and they dragged me in to watch just some footage of crowds on Main st USA and there I was in the backround with same backpack, very similar clothing to my preferrred style, balding, moustache, build, face. I was quite taken aback by how similar the man in the video looked to me even when seen from side view before after about 10 secords he disappears from view. I found myself looking at it a few times as its the closest to a double ive ever seen.

Almost - very like me. . . he was the son of my Scottish villages pretty-well-off old Solicitor, he also became a young solicitor, taking over from his father, and now ~ thinking about it, thinking back ~ he's probably quite an old and fairly well off Solicitor!

Last edited:
Back