• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Got A Double?

My mother and her older sister were often mistaken for identical twins. There was sixteen months between them in age, but they were very similar physically. I couldn't see the resemblance myself, until I looked at a picture of my mum and her two sisters together sitting on a bench at a family gathering, when they were all quite elderly. We joked about it being the 'three crones', but yes, my mother was a dead ringer for her sister (or vice versa).

Many years ago we went out for a Sunday drive with a view to having Sunday Lunch somewhere in a pub. We finally landed on the outskirts of Merthyr Tydfil and stopped at a pub called The Great Escape which closed some years back. As we got out of the car a bloke started calling me across the car park yelling "ALISON!!!" I just glanced at him and walked off with Hubby to the pub. He kept yelling but I took no notice. We had a lovely lunch and when we left he was still outside with another bloke - both looked dodgy. He started yelling across the car park "ALISON!!!" "WHY WONT YOU TALK TO ME ALISON?!!!". We rushed to the car, got in and drove off. He was still yelling and gesticulating as we drove away. Funny old world. Who ALISON was is anyones guess.

I dressed as a witch (like the wicked witch of the west) for Halloween one year and had covered my entire face in green makeup. Someone took a pic of me and when I saw it, I looked exactly like my youngest brother, so much so, that I knew if anyone else who knew us looked at the pic, they would think it was him. I destroyed the pic lol. We get along but being female, I did not find it a flattering resemblance.:vulc:

Last night we went out to dinner with family and the young ones had an ap on their phones to change your picture to the opposite sex, and I thought mine looked rather like my cousin.
Granddaughter's boyfriend put his on Instagram and got 75 likes in 10 minutes.

I dressed as a witch (like the wicked witch of the west) for Halloween one year and had covered my entire face in green makeup. Someone took a pic of me and when I saw it, I looked exactly like my youngest brother, so much so, that I knew if anyone else who knew us looked at the pic, they would think it was him. I destroyed the pic lol. We get along but being female, I did not find it a flattering resemblance.:vulc:

My younger son and daughter look very alike on photos. They sometimes ask each other for their face back, please.

Another Leeds one here. In the "Doppelgänger" thread, I wrote about my double, who (according to recent sightings) must still live not too far away, over 30 years later. Apparently he still dresses believably like me. Can a scruffy inability to dress stylishly be inherited, like looks can (imagining that we are somehow related) ?

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelgänger.4461/page-6#post-1615604
or
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelgänger.4461/post-1615604

My ability to converse in British SIgn Language is waning due to infrequent practice (I'm learning Dutch instead nowadays) but it should be just good enough to quiz "him" when that fabled day eventually arrives, the day I eventually meet him again.

My younger son and daughter look very alike on photos. They sometimes ask each other for their face back, please.
I have 2 photos that are amazing in comparison. My Dad, in about 1950, and my brother (his eldest son) in about 1972. They are each standing in front of a brick wall, wearing school uniforms, which are identical due to going to the same school a generation apart (I also went there but uniforms had been abolished). The two photos are very obviously the same person to anyone who sees them, there being no discernable difference whatsoever. Only the era-appropriate family dog (with which they are each posing) allows the two pics to be told apart, plus the fact that one pic is black-and-white and the other is colour.
A photo of me at a similar age looks only vaguely similar. Instead, I look like my mum and sister a bit more.

These days when I get the 'you look like a celebrity' it usually means Mrs Slocombe. Life sucks.
Over the years I've been accused of looking like Greg Rusedski (tennis player), Nicholas cage (actor), Dr Evil from Austin Powers and Uncle Fester from the Addams family. (I'm hoping the last two were only due to the fact I started losing my hair and were mainly a p**** -take by my girlfriend.)

A few family ones...there was a (mysteriously missing and unfindable) photo of my grandfather in the 20s or 30s in a football team line up in which he was the absolute double of my now late brother. The likeness was extraordinary, though there is no other evidence for it in any other photo.

No one would say my sister's now grown son dramatically resembles her...adulthood has altered his appearance. But as a small child comparitive photos/film of his mum at the same age are ridiculous. She basically was him in a wig.

My elder daughter at age six was the spitting image of her maternal grandmother at the same age. It's her maternal grandfather who is Vietnamese, so you might not expect such a close similarity to someone with no Vietnamese heritage at all.

I can never see myself in my elder daughter - she has, fortunately for her, taken after her mother. But I can see myself more in my younger daughter. Yet now, when I look back over old photos showing one or the other of them, I often have to take time to think about which one of them it is - there's six years between them, and often it is only working out that we were in place [x] in year [y] that tells me the answer.

I used to see a woman who looked a hell of a lot like me, she must have worked near my old place of work as I'd only see her in that area and I've not seen her since leaving that job. The odd thing was we'd always state at each other because, she obviously saw the similarity too

A lot of people say that I’m a spit for the actor John Alford, so when I was in my mid to late teens, I’d get “are you Robby from Grange Hill” quite a bit, mostly from teenage girls.

Then when he got the part in London Burning I’d get are you “Billy Ray from London’s burning” again mostly by teenage girls - thankfully however, I was never approached by fake Arab Princes to supply them with drugs lol.

I once gave my eldest a photo of my mother with her mother because my mother and daughter looked so similar.
When she took it home her daughter asked who the strange woman with her was.

Yes, I suppose it's inevitable that relatives are lookalikes, but my youngest does look exactly like his grandad - who was born in the 1920s. Youngest is 16. And when I see photos of my dad as a kid, at every age and stage so far, you'd think it was the same child (same with me and my mum). It's a little creepy as there is dad in his 1930s' clothes but it's also, simultaneously, just like seeing my son (but in black and white).

The stranger thing is, my dad died when son was about 3 and son has no memory of him, but in photos he is often pulling the same face or has exactly the same mannerisms, as my dad. And that is more disconcerting than the fact they look so similar! Somewhere I have a photo of my dad being 'silly' for the camera and found a photo of my son being daft pulling precisely the same face but have seen it over a lot of other photos. Photos seem to capture it more than real life, somehow. I look at son all the time and think how like dad he looks, but you don't spot it in the facial expressions or body language IRL as much as in a photo.

I have 4 other sons and none of the ones who look less like my dad have my dad's mannerisms. Just his doppelganger. I suppose occasionally we get a DNA based doppelganger where resemblence is so strong it carries across more than just how someone looks. If that makes sense.

I always ask for a double when I get a pour of Bourbon......er...wait a minute...wrong thread.
;)
1559666333661.png

I look very similar to this guy...my pic is in the pic thread at any rate...but is this thread about 'true doubles' or clones or what..?

I always ask for a double when I get a pour of Bourbon......er...wait a minute...wrong thread.
;)
View attachment 17835
I look very similar to this guy...my pic is in the pic thread at any rate...but is this thread about 'true doubles' or clones or what..?
Possible doppelgängers:)

I have a friend who says she has a lookalike that people come up to her all the time to chat and she doesn't know them. She's known of this person for several years but has never seen her. She even knows the person's name.

My friend is not someone who could resemble many people. She has cerebral palsy and walks with a distinct limp, wears thick lensed glasses, has very straight shoulder length hair. All of these features that apparently the other person has.

I have never seen her double.

Possible doppelgängers:)

I have a friend who says she has a lookalike that people come up to her all the time to chat and she doesn't know them. She's known of this person for several years but has never seen her. She even knows the person's name.

My friend is not someone who could resemble many people. She has cerebral palsy and walks with a distinct limp, wears thick lensed glasses, has very straight shoulder length hair. All of these features that apparently the other person has.

I have never seen her double.
I honestly have no idea if I have a 'doppleganger'......does that have any paranormal aspects?
No one has told me locally I look like someone though several people years ago said I looked like Lee Greenwood..a country singer...and I do look quite a bit like Wilson in that photo I posted.

I'm told I have a double, though I have never seen them.

Way back in 2002-3 a friend told me he had seen, several times, an 'older, angrier' version of me walking around his neighbourhood.

Fast-forward 5-6 years and one divorce later, there was indeed an older and if not angrier, certainly grumpier version of me living in that neighbourhood - the genuine article, this time!

A couple of years ago a colleague said she had seen me on her bus in to work one Monday morning, and had been about to nudge me on her way past and say hello, but saw the moody, angry look on this fellows face and impassive look when he looked in her direction and decided it couldn't be me, however much it looked like me.

I had taken that day off to go up to the hospital for an appointment, and it turns out at the time of her sighting I would have been in the waiting room, anxiously awaiting my scan and subsequent 'not quiet all clear, but nothing life-threatening' result.

On my way home about a couple of hours later, I did indeed ride that number of bus back into town so I could make my way back home!

Curious.

It seems that there are also doubles of my parents, and they appear to be a couple, in my adopted home city - they actually live in the town (technically also a city, but meh) of my birth, about 100 miles away.

I've seen dad's 'doppleganger' about half a dozen times over the past decade or so, the first time I very nearly approached with "wtf are you doing here?", but I noticed the minor differences as I drew nearer and decided it wasn't him.

Just last week walking through the city centre I came up behind a couple and found myself thinking 'if I didn't know better I'd think that was my parents! Wait... I wonder..." Sure enough, when they turned to cross the road, it was indeed my fathers double, and a lady who looks remarkably like my mother!

I do hope 'angry me' isn't related to them. Or maybe I do! Conflicted ;D

I'm fascinated reading this thread. My eldest daughter was a mix of my looks and her dads, but when I had her brother 19 months later, he was like a small replica of me! His dad's genes seemed to have bypassed him completely. I have a photo of him aged 7 and one of myself at the same age, and I look like my son in a dress! As he's grown he has become the image of my father at the same age. It's strange sometimes to look back on photos of older relatives and see them in their children and grandchildren. I did have a double when I was in my late teens. We were both very slim with very short hair and the same basic face shape. She was much prettier than me but I did used to get people shouting 'Sue!' at me across pubs. We got to know each other through mutual friends and would always exchange a smile and and a quick chat about our resemblance.

The family has photos of my father holding me at about 4 months old and him holding my son at the same age, some 30 years later. He looks exactly, and I do mean exactly, the same in both photos. Almost like a doppleganger or some sort of time slip. Very weird.

My youngest son, the one with hair, sent this photo last night of a guy he and his pals met in some bar in Spain. They all swear he is my doppelgänger but personally I don’t see the resemblance, apart from the beer belly.View attachment 19208

What you haven't got that lovely smile? I expect he resembled you in mannerisms and sense of humour, things that wouldn't show in a photo! Anyway I'm going to take your sons word for it and update my mental imagery of you. :) Oh and I hadn't noticed the beer gut until you mentioned it!

Sollywos x

What you haven't got that lovely smile? I expect he resembled you in mannerisms and sense of humour, things that wouldn't show in a photo! Anyway I'm going to take your sons word for it and update my mental imagery of you. :) Oh and I hadn't noticed the beer gut until you mentioned it!

Sollywos x
He also has more chins than me!

About 10 or so years ago there was someone who was often out and about in the local town who apparently looked exactly like me. A few people said they had seen me there when I was at home, and even my brother asked me what I was doing in town when he came home from a night out with his friends. I had been sitting at home with our parents so it certainly wasn't me! I never got many details - doubt he'd remember now - but I assumed he'd seen this person from a distance rather than close up or I hope he's know the difference.
Think this lasted a few months - I always kept a look out when I was out but never saw anyone. Kinda wish I had though to be honest!

I saw a young woman today with botox lips, and honestly, to me personally, she looked like an idiot. i cannot understand why they think it looks great or the men who agree. Maybe i'm just old and curmudgeonly.
It's not a good look. You might get stuck that way forever too.

I saw a young woman today with botox lips
I think it's collagen in lips and botox in the forehead (to eliminate wrinkles). Botox paralyses flesh, collagen plumps it up.
Alas, many people don't have any idea what they really look like, and will follow any fad as long as they associate with some kind of social status they admire. It's like wearing a certain brand of clothing whether it looks any good on them or not.
Others, like anorexics, have other issues.

An old classmate told me on FB that he'd just encountered my double in Kos. Not sure if she was the double of the teenage me he knew, or the middle-aged me I have become!

I once met up with some people from a different website at a pub. Later one of them apologized if he and his sister had been staring at me, as apparently I was the doppelganger of their brother.

Back