• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Seen Jack In The Green?

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
With his long tail hanging down?

Anyone got any good online sources for stories about this mysterious mythological being?

Isn't jack in the green the same as the green man :?:

Strangely enough, Yes I've seen Jack in the Green, in the wood, by the brook, in the stream, in my dreams him and Selene.

Isn't jack in the green the same as the green man :?:

There are similarities, and some folks treat them as if they were two versions of the same entity. I think they're more reasonably construed as distinct figures. Jack in the Green only dates back to the 18th century, and is specifically associated with a particular type of foliage-covered costume used in May Day celebrations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_in_the_Green

yeppers :) lots of things conflated under one label!

I'm surprised no one posted the Tull song...so here it is..

I'm currently reading Bryant and May...On the Loose....and it has many references to mythical figures like Jack In The Green....being referenced as hanging out in the Kings Cross/Battlebridge area of London which apparently was wild and forested in the old days with tales of jack In The Green ,etc.

I'm also interested in novels on similar topics....I enjoyed the Mythago Wood series and have read a few others in that vein like The Little Country by De Lint.

Weird police procedurals - I recommend Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series :)

I have the new Ben Aaronovitch book 'Lies Sleeping' on the couch next me, I've just put it aside to have a quick browse on here

Sounds like the Peter Grant series by Aaronovitch is right up my alley...but I'm only half way through the Bryant and May series....too many books and not enough time.
;)

Back