• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Headless Wasp

A

Anonymous

When I was about 11 or 12 I found a drowsey wasp on my living room floor.

It seemed like a ordinary wasp but when I went to touched it to see if it was alive its head popped off

Then the body of the wasp keep trying to put the head back on.It tried for a long while.It keep trying to push the head back on.

I watched it for at least two hours and tried to find a place to keep it to see how long it would live without its head but as I was so young I couldent find anything to put it in or anywhere I could put it where it wouldent be disturbed eventally I lost it.

I have never heard of a wasp that has its head pop off.Ive never seen any insect live that long without a head.

The head was completely off and seperate.I even tried to push it back on myself

Has anyone heard or seen anything like this?

Pehaps the wasp had a strong will to live.

Some ants suffer from a parasite which makes their heads drop off. I don't see why wasps shouldn't have similar problems. Bees also suffer from mites which weaken them until they can't fly any more.

its possible. Insects have a completely different nervous system compared to us. they can live without their head until they starve/dehydrate. not much of a life, but roaches can go for a day or two without their heads.

nervous systems

Completely different nervous system than in higher animals.

I broiled a lobster the other day. Even after it was cut completely in half lengthwise, limbs and tail moved for several minutes.

Rube:
Thanks for that wonderful mental image! :(

Personal anecdote:
When I was but a tad, my family took a summer camping trip to the Maine woods. One day we went down to some local shop and bought these enormous giant BUGS!!!!! :eek:

We went back to the campsite, and I ran off and played in the woods, forgetting all about the BUGS:eek: . Then my mother found me and told me it was time for dinner -- we were going to eat the BUGS!!!!!:eek: (And of course, being a youngster, I had no choice, my parents would insist that I eat the BUGS!!!!!:eek: )

Needless to say, I found the prospect quite alarming, and ran off in such a tizzy that I didn't watch where I was going. There's a lot of trees in them Maine woods. I should know, I ran smack right into one of them!!!

My parents decided that I didn't really have to 'at least try' the bugs if I felt that strongly about them.

[edit for clarity]:
These kind of bugs...

I saw a book in a second hand shop all about eating insects and recipes and stuff.

Autonomic reflexes can occur well after death. Cats can semi-meow and humans can sit up on the autopsy table. Humans can also at least move their mouths for a noticeable amount of time after decapitation.

I don't think the wasp was deliberately trying to reattach its head, but I don't doubt there was some degree of "lifelike" movement, especially in an insect. Which, coincidentally, could have looked like deliberate action.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go I want to go simultaneouly - I don't want bits of me wandering around zombie fashion after the rest of me is dead.

I might draw the line at transplant organs though. :err:

When I was about 11 or 12 I found a drowsey wasp on my living room floor.

It seemed like a ordinary wasp but when I went to touched it to see if it was alive its head popped off

Then the body of the wasp keep trying to put the head back on.It tried for a long while.It keep trying to push the head back on.

I watched it for at least two hours and tried to find a place to keep it to see how long it would live without its head but as I was so young I couldent find anything to put it in or anywhere I could put it where it wouldent be disturbed eventally I lost it.

I have never heard of a wasp that has its head pop off.Ive never seen any insect live that long without a head.

The head was completely off and seperate.I even tried to push it back on myself

Has anyone heard or seen anything like this?

Pehaps the wasp had a strong will to live.
Swatted a wasp on the Porch yesterday afternoon, knocking off his head. HesH now on the Patio, walking and flapping his wings, and spends a lot of time on his back.

Swatted a wasp on the Porch yesterday afternoon, knocking off his head. HesH now on the Patio, walking and flapping his wings, and spends a lot of time on his back.
Cool .. can you film it and post it here?

Back