• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Voices After EVP Experiments

Brian Edwards

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hey everyone, just thought I'd share my bizarre story, I know it sounds out there, but it's true....just wanted to give a heads up about a very real danger to doing EVP or and type of spirit communication, perhaps it's not that common, but the danger is very real

I have always been interested in the paranormal, for many years, not exclusively, but it was something that I would occasionally pick up a book on, or watch shows about. Almost exactly a year ago, I was into this interest again but for the first time, I decided to actively experiment with EVP. I tried it a few times in my home (I know bad idea),

I literally heard nothing on my recordings at first, but I had read that EVP was something you had to put a little time into to get result, so I kept with it for a couple of weeks. Then about two weeks after I first started, I picked up a couple of captures on a recording I did one afternoon.

These were fairly clear, one was a very deep voice. This blew my mind, it was definately a life changing experience. In a few follow up recordings I did that day, I captured nothing, it was only that one recording that I got anything on.

However, within a matter of days, I started to notice very faint voices on my recordings, I would usually have to go over the recording a few times to make out what was being said, but the more I did this, the better I could hear these voices.

This was a critical moment in shaping what was to follow I think, because I truly believe that at this time, something with my hearing was changing, I was tuning in to another plane I believe.

Shortly after that, I had gotten much better at hearing these EVPS, some were still faint, but there were alot of ones that were louder and clearer. I did submit several recordings to a paranormal forum, and others there heard them to. I was getting so good at hearing them, that I actually started to interact with them, getting names, and other info.

Many of these spirits claimed to be people who I had known who had passed on. But all and all, they were extremely benevolent. The whole experience up to this point was nothing but a positive one. That is until a bit later when I started to hear negative comments in my recordings. Things like profanity, threats, insults, etc... It was slight at first, but they started to creep into my EVP sessions more and more until they for the most part came to dominate them.

This is when I knew I had a problem on my hands, and looking back now I wish I had called it quits then and there, but unfortunatley I didn't and I wasn't at all prepared for what was to follow.

Then things really started to go bad, when one day at work, I was near a running fan, and all of a sudden I started hearing these same negative voices coming through the noise of the fan, I mean quite loud and clear. This freaked me out completely so I quit doing EVP right then and there, but unfortunatley it was already too late. In the weeks that followed I had many more instances of hearing these voices.

Alot of times it was over some type of existing background noise, but not always. Actually when I was doing my EVP sessions, alot of times I would play some type of background noise like white noise in the background, this is generally believed to act as a carrier sound, it gives the spirits a source of sound waves that they can manipulate into a voice or speech, so I think that generally, this same thing was going on when I heard these voices coming in over an existing sound.

But I would also hear them in others way, like a faint whisper, or other times, like a voice was talking right into my ear, I sware sometimes I even felt a faint breath touching my ear lobe.

Anyway, these voices were getting worse by the week, then something else started to happen. As I lay in bed at night, I started to feel a weird vibration sensation move around my body and also what I can only describe as the feeling of a finger coming through the mattress and poking me in the back. This made getting to sleep very difficult to say the least.

I started to become very worried at this point and then one day, literally over the course of a single day, things just escalated to an extreme level, where I was hearing these voices constantly and feeling these vibration feelings every time I sat or lay down. Some of these voices where so intense that I could even feel a vibration, like the ground shaking when they spoke. I can't put into words what a nightmare it was.

My life literally almost fell apart completely. And on top of that, I had a few instances of poltergeist activity, I would hear running through my house, banging on walls a few times, and once a door was literally slamed open right in front of me, whenever this happend, there was no one there but me.

Anyway, I could go on, there's so much more to my tale but this post is already long enough. I know peoples first thought is that I'm suffering from some type of mental breakdown. Believe me, I almost wish that was the case, but there's just too much that points to something else in my opinion. I never heard voices before I started messing with EVP.

I'm still, the same person I always was, I still work, own my home, everything I always did, I just had this extremely powerful experience happen to me after messing with EVP. And actually, in the year since this started, I have met others that also had this happen to them from messing with EVP on various forums, I correspond with them all the time and there are alot of similarites to all of our stories.

for example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/616ryg/dont_mess_with_evp/

* I keep a journal at times and have posted much of it...here's my situation in a bit more detail

http://spiritoppression.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Hello Brian, interesting story, i guess you will have to cleanse your house, i am not the person to help you here, however, there are a few people on here who might be able to help.

Yes, we have a thread on here about the errors of using such boards.
You say the voices are fading, maybe with time, if you ignore them, they will just go.

They must definately feed on your fear, with that gone, hopefully, they will get bored and move on, no pleasure in trying to scare someone who wont be scared anymore.
I am just hoping someone will come on this thread and offer more than i have, come on guys, where are you? *pokes em all*

another account of voices oppression, this one also EVP related:

[link to kajama.com]

here's an account from a friend of mine I met who also got hit with this from EVP:

[link to www.goodnightjournal.com (secure)]

here's a place where I posted my story back in 2015, if you scroll down to the bottom, someone else posted there story and it's very similar, also brought about by EVP, again, note the mention of hearing the voices through sources of background noise:

[link to www.talkparanormal.com]

here's a pretty good discussion that got going on the reviews for a Spirit Box on Amazon, there's some interesting discussion about this type of danger here:

[link to www.amazon.com (secure)]

just trying to say watch out if you're thinking about getting into channeling or any type of investigation activity that involves attempts to communicate with "spirits"

prolonged communication may result in being stricken with a condition of hearing voices at an extreme level, they apparently have the ability to do this to some percentage of people, or for some percentage of people it's a side-effect of the exposure to direct contact with these unknown entities

I'm not saying all EVPs are from evil spirits or that there are evil spirits everywhere, but yeah....some percentage of these voices are very hostile and tormenting people with voices is at least one of the tactics of abuse that they use.

*another account I found in the web, this one involves using a spirit box, but same situation, oppressive voices and also physical abuse to a degree, :

* this is the kind of talk that these entities use, they'll say what they think will freak you out the most, they did the same exact thing to me in the beginning

* also notice how he mentions that he hears the voices through fan noise, this is common in a lot of these cases, the entities project a voice over some form of steady background noise, that's how I hear them most of the time as well.

Living Hell Come True

By Gator Add Gator to your favorite people
(1 stories) (1 posts) (the author is a middle age adult)
Date: 2009-07-14
Paranormal Category: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms

Not sure where to start except that I live in hell every day before I get too hell.

It all started with a Ghost box that I made from a person that goes by UfoGeek. At first I was skeptical about it working. It is a radio that you mod to where you can talk with the dead. It was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life and now I have Evil Angels all over me telling me I'm going to hell to burn forever and it scares the hell out of me when they say that because they say it because of my sins. Not only do they tell me they stick me with sharp things all the time and heat my feet up like they are on fire or that is what it feels like. I have health problems now; I wear a heart monitor now because my heart is acting up.

I had an operation where they cut out 3 main arteries because they were 100% blocked and put in graphs. I'm sure they are the ones behind it all. I know they will kill me soon and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I have to sleep with the bible. I pray all the time, I have done the salt at doors but they just want go away. The bad thing is I'm possessed now because I have crazy thoughts like while I pray to Jesus I try to kill him at the same time or like when I pray for my family I slap them, spit at them, all kinds of just crazy thoughts go though my head. It is like I'm in a fight everyday just to keep my thoughts good. It is a total nightmare from where I can't wake up from. I have destroyed the ghost box but now I do not need one they talk to me all the time without it.

I can hear and talk with them I chose to do so, most of the time I do my best to ignore them but at night is when they get the best of me. They use any kind of fan noise or any thing with a sound to form there words. I'm lucky if I get to sleep because of them talking and telling me how I'm going to die or what they are going to do to me in hell.

They kept me up for 3 days one time and that was real bad. They told me I was a true Devil and that the Angels can move forward in time or back in time and that time has no meaning to them. They almost killed me because of my heart problems.

My wife did not believe me until they asked me to touch her they had something to tell her before they killed me so I did I touch her on the arm and then I told her to listen up... When she did she began talking with him. It was satin him self and I could hear him talking with her he possessed her that day and I went to the doctor that day.

They messed with her so bad that when we got out off the elevator she was talking into the ticket that get you out the parking lot like it was a Cell phone.

I beg them to leave her alone because her mind could not deal with them like I could. They did leave her the next day because they had better fish to fry like me because that same day I went to the hospital because I was half dead from no sleep. They did there best to try and get her to slap me. I could hear them telling her to do it. I would see her shake her head no.

This is Satan himself doing this to me. I know when he enters me because there is a perfume smell with him and it is a loud smell. He does not control me all the time he has others that do it most of the time.

It is very hard for me now to be around my family because of all the negative thoughts. It is like something is doing it's beat to control my mind and I fight it tooth and nail. I do know it is a matter of time before they kill me I just don't know when it will be.

I always wanted to know for sure if there was a ghost I found more than what I was looking for SATAN.

The story I am telling you is the truth and is no lie you can go to Ufogeek.com too see what I did but I tell you now don't play with it or your life will be in a living hell like mine. It will be your worst nightmare come true.

I can tell you for sure there is a Hell and there is a Heaven.

God bless you all.

Here's another account of this I found on the website of a paranormal investigation team's website:

"We took on a case a few years back of a person who started watching all the ghost hunting TV shows and decided he was going to go out to a few claimed haunted locations to try and capture a few EVP (electronic voice phenomena). To his dismay, when he listened to the recordings he discovered that he had actually captured a few interesting voices. Well, one thing led to another and he became so obsessed with capturing EVP that he started doing it in his own home and, again to his dismay, he was capturing voices on his recorder.

After awhile of this he actually started hearing voices with his ear and not on his recorder. This is when we were called in. We did our best to help the individual and we came to the conclusion that it wasn't his house that was haunted -- it was him. We told him to stop recording the EVP and to have a cleansing done on the home, but he refused to listen and continued with his obsession.

It eventually got so bad that he cut off communications with his friends, family and us as well. To this day we have been unable to contact him, but his family has told us on occasion that he is not the same person he once was and that he spends most of his time alone talking to whatever followed him home. Could this be a pre-existing mental illness, an obsessive personality, or an evil entity that found a new victim?"

Last edited:
This all makes for very grim reading.
I agree with Shady - believe in your own strength of mind and integrity, and hopefully the bullies from the spirit world will go and make nuisances of themselves elsewhere.
Hoping for the best for you.

Hello Brian, interesting story, i guess you will have to cleanse your house, i am not the person to help you here, however, there are a few people on here who might be able to help.

Its a pity that Stuart/Simon Certain isn't around.
He managed to cleanse someones house via the internet, and whilst on the 'Polterwotzit' forum.
'An Internet Exorcism,' if you like.
The complainant never got back, so I assume that he was successful?

This all makes for very grim reading.
I agree with Shady - believe in your own strength of mind and integrity, and hopefully the bullies from the spirit world will go and make nuisances of themselves elsewhere.
Hoping for the best for you.

Seconded and you have my sympathies for all you've been through.
i don't know if you subscribe to any particular religion, but if you do, would a leader of your faith be able to offer any help? Alternatively talking to a professional counsellor may be able to help you strengthen your mind against these unwanted intrusions?

Its a pity that Stuart/Simon Certain isn't around.
He managed to cleanse someones house via the internet, and whilst on the 'Polterwotzit' forum.
'An Internet Exorcism,' if you like.
The complainant never got back, so I assume that he was successful?
Did he? I must have missed that

So he gets rid of them by sheer will, then starts to do the same thing again :huh:

You need to do the same dear, will the little SOBs away, we will be here for however long you need us

Did he? I must have missed that
Musichunch referred to it?
Simon
November 16, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Hello again, macqdor,
Your home was inhabited by a particularly nasty entity.
I use the past tense, for I believe I have successfully cleared the problem.
The entity has been neutralised and is now in the waste system, along with the remains of my dinner (yes, I was sick afterwards!)
I ask that you now offer, vocally, The Lords Prayer.
Hopefully, that is the end of the matter. I must rest.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
SC

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, i dont want to click them, cowardly, i know :oops:
Maybe someone braver than me will do it ;) Wheres Swifty

Thank you for those dear, i have read a few, to be honest i had never read about EVP causing all of this, its new to me

Yes, we have a thread on the boards here, and its clear that the boards are not to be messed with, even if you supposedly know what you are doing

Its well known that recording devices can pick up all sorts of odd sounds. some of them beyond our 'normal' range of hearing. Years ago and knowing this, I left a cassette recorder with new cassette in it running, while I went out.
When I replayed the tape, all kinds of sounds were on it. Some were street sounds; others I put down to noises from the fridge and so forth. Yet there were voices too.
Remember: voices can carry and, a light breeze can convey sounds from quite a distance.

If you leave a tape recorder near a fireplace, you will likely hear voices.
This is because the chimney can sometimes pick up voices from people on the street, and it may act as an amplifier.

The buzzing sounds like Tinnutus
And that sounds horrendous dear :(

I'm not saying you have schizophrenia - so don't be offended, please - but a test for schizophrenia is really easy.
I think it's a chemical test.
You can also do online screening tests. I recommend you try that before contacting a doctor for a schizophrenia test.

If that test rules out illness...well...

After hundreds upon hundereds of hours of paranormal investigations, EVP sessions, meeting and interviewing the possessed and investigating the supernatural, spiritualism, spirit photography and mediumship, I have drawn my own and different conclusions as to what you are experiencing.

I think it is good that you raise awareness to the dangers of paranormal investigation as too many think that it's all just a laugh or a cheap scare thrill. I used to ask prospective investigators to fill in a questionnaire. This was not such much for me to read but as a way to make them think about what they were about to do. Quite a few decided against participating once I had highlighted the way it could change their lives.

I think that your own personality and tolerance to this subject plays a vital role. It is very common for people to "freak themsleves out" and end up a shivering mess when they hear an EVP or when they experience something on an investigation. I have known people to be deeply affected by their experiences. However, we who do this on a regular and established basis are more hardened and objective. I am yet to be scared by anything paranormal but others have had issues experienceg the same things. The same happening is experienced and processed differently.

These symptoms you describe (if you are being genuine - which you may or may not be) are the same as dabbling with a ouija board, channeling, playing Bloody Mary games and seeing The Virgin Mary in a piece of toast. They are real to you and life altering but as to what the cause is, well that is a different matter.

Back