• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Your Name Called

Lots more name-calling fun on this thread.

Probably an earlier one too. :)

edited by TheQuixote: disabled link as threads now merged

thanks for the link, another thing I've just remembered is I was listening to an audio of a west end show that someone recorded a couple of years ago, and I can hear in one of the songs my brother calling out my name, I'm not crazy I tells ya :p

Yesterday afternoon both myself and my husband heard someone outside calling to my other half. His name was said three or four times, When we went and had a look there was nobody about. Could have been a coincidence, but odd none the less.

I heard somewhere once before that when you hear your name called or at the point you wake up in a dream, 'the powers that be' are trying to call your attention to something.
For instance if you're dreaming and wake up while you can still remember what's happening in the dream, you should think carefully about the message that dream is trying to tell you.
Perhaps hearing your name called is a sign to pay extra special attention to what you're thinking about at that time or what is happening around you. (A bit like the poster who was outside a shop they would've forgotten to go in otherwise but also on a more 'spiritual' level)
Hope that makes sense

I've heard my name or someone saying 'hey', 'look' or 'over here' just as I'm about to fall asleep, it wakes me up with a jolt. Sometimes I'll hear it in different ears, my name in my left ear and then someone/thing saying 'look' or 'hey' in my right.

Most of the replies seem to be that its happend 3/4 times. I have to say it happens quite abit to me , not just when I'm on my own either it happend a few times with a witness present.
My son often comes down foul mood(but there again he is 14 and my house is like a Kevin and Perry sketch. :) ) saying "For Gods sake what?" And gets very cross that I won't admit to calling him.

Hi guys I am almost sure there was another topic somewhere about something similar but hell I cannot find it!!! Let me get to the point as my mum is becoming a bit annoyed about this!!
Basically on a number of occasions this year My mother has heard someone call her name three or four times!!
The first three occasions the voice has been female and my mum has been at work or at home on one of these she is almost 100% sure it was her mother who passed away a few years ago.
The latest happened the other morning when she was getting outta bed and she heard a Male Voice Call her name about 3 times "mary, Mary Mary".. not loud as if someone was trying to waken her!! She stresses she was awake and contemplating getting up for work!! as i have asked the usual are u sure you werent asleep stuff! She turned around and no-one there but she swore to me that it felt as if there was someone at the edge of her bed beside the window. She confided in me that the other three occasions it did not annoy her but this one has and not that it sounded sinister or anything but that the voice has changed! I have posted on this site before as my mum has had a number of paranormal experiences but another thing i have found curious is that she has had about six lightbulbs blow on her in the last week!!
Any thoughts guys and gals.

I'm kinda going through the same thing. I have a very boisterous three month old kitten who only stops when he drops. :lol: Bless. As I've explained before I have a kitchen come frontroom, and a bedroom ajacant (spl?) to it. At night I've been leaving the frontoom light on the lowest setting and my bedroom door slightly ajar for him to wander about, see his food, and my hand for sharpening his teeth on. Ouch. lol He only wakes me up to do this. However, a few nights ago I awoke myself (around 4.00 am) to find him at the bottom of the bed sat staring with his eyes wide. Not the kind of wide when they are going to pounce, but wide, 'WTF is that, do I run?' I called him but he wouldn't move. I clambered to the bottom of the bed too and saw he was staring straight at the seat of an apparently empty arm chair. He wouldn't budge and just kept watching this spot. I started to get a little freaked but decided to go and investigate.
Now normally he's shooting round playing with his toys everywhere, and my feet. Well, he can't reach my hands when I'm standing. ;) It took a lot of coaxing to move him and then he'd only go as far as the door of my bedroom. His eyes still wide and fixed. I went over to the chair and had a good look, nothing. If it was a mouse (Which I luckily don't suffer from or have any evidence to show that I do.) or bug he would have had it, trust me. He seemed to get a bit worried. He moved in that way they do that they 'reflex' to get up but fight against it, like when you train a dog to sit if you know what I mean. I waved my arms around the chair to show him there was nothing there and he just stared in disbelief from the same spot on the chair, to me, and back to the chair a few times.
Normally I'm freaked out by these kind of things but I decided not to (Very unusual!) worry and go sit on the sofa to see what happened next. He still woulndn't come in the room and sat transfixed. I laughed and said, "It's ok, it's probibly just my nan or Sunny" (Another cat who passed away at the begining of the year.) A few moments later I heard someone say my name. Again, I didn't freak out (!) I just smiled and listened in case there was more. Well, we both sat in our respective spots for an hour and I got tierd again so decided to give him his breakfast and go back to bed. Well, you know what cats are like with food, but this time he darted across the other side of the room (To the armchair) and hid under the kitchen table.
I went back to bed but I was telling someone about it the next day over the 'phone when some newspapers slid off the kitchen table and onto the sofa. There was no breeze or draught, they weren't on the edge of the table or unbalanced in some way.??
I've tried 'talking' to who it is, asking things like, if this is you, could you moved that orniment, ect. Yes, I have noticed them in different positions but like a few days later so can not discount that I maybe brushed past them or something?
Sorry I haven't got any advice for your mum except try asking the same questions?
Do keep us updated. :)

Cheers for the heads up rynner i actually found it not ten mins after posting

maximusotter said:
cookemeister said:
...the other morning when she was getting outta bed...

"Hypnopompic state:

The hypnopompic state is the transition state of semiconsciousness between sleeping and waking. For some people, this is a time of visual and auditory hallucination."

http://skepdic.com/hypnopompic.html

maximus otter

I have offered this explanation already of course but it does not readily explain the "daytime " and at work Callings!!

I have vague childhood memories of hearing my name called by a 'phantom voice' - especially when drifting off to sleep, and at least once when sitting upright in a sort of bored reverie.

The single most striking (to me) instance occurred when I was approximately 21 years old in my college dormitory room. My roommate was gone, and I'd just gotten into bed. Having been working long hours, I was 'wired' and having trouble drifting off.

I was lying on my side, facing the wall my bed abutted and with my back to the open center area of the relatively large room.

I heard a female voice (woman; circa 20's to 40's in age; no specific similarity to any familiar voice) call my name 3 times with 2 to 5 second intervals between each call - each time with a bit more emphasis or urgency. It sounded exactly like a woman trying to wake me up. I got up, checked the room and the hallway outside, only to find nothing.

I lay back down ... I was awake now, fretting about how 'wired' I really was, still lying on my side facing the wall. I'd assumed this first voice event was a 'near-sleep auditory hallucination', but it still bothered me to the point of knowing I wasn't going to drift off to sleep anytime soon ...

Once again, from behind me (apparently a few feet - out in the center of the room) the same voice called my name 3 times with increasing emphasis / urgency. This time I had no doubt I'd been wide awake (I distinctly recalled having been staring at the wall in the moment....). I got up quickly from the bed, checked the hallway first, then minutely examined the room - including looking for a hidden walkie-talkie or some other prank apparatus... Nothing ...

Back to bed ... Back to staring at the wall ... Then a third time the voice called my name. *This* time, however, it called only twice. At the moment the prior pattern indicated the third call should have come, I felt a hand gently grasp my shoulder and give it a shake. My eyes were wide awake at the time, and I was far from sleep. I distinctly felt the individual fingers' pressure points on the back of my shoulder ...

This time I literally sprang out of bed ... Another thorough search showed no one around and no sign of pranking ... Needless to say, I didn't go to sleep for a looooooooong time after that ... ;)

On a not-totally-tangential note ... I've known many people who report perceiving a bright flash of light at the point they 'slide off the edge' into sleep - the same point at which a bedmate typically notices a single 'spasm' or 'jerk'. With me, it's a loud percussive *sound* - never a light. I've compared it to (e.g.) someone dropping a massive book on a marble floor or the 'cannon boom' accent sound in Simon and Garfunkel's _The Boxer_. I've never found anyone else who claimed to experience a sound rather than a light ... I wonder if I'm somehow 'more auditory' at the edge of sleep, and hence more prone to hearing phantom voices ...

This happened to me a lot as a child, and still does if I'm going through a period of depression. There is something otherworldy about the sound, almost as if it's a memory from long ago. However, I knew this wasn't the case, because I would hear my nick-name called as a child, but my real name called as an adult.
Anyway, I discussed this with a couple of doctors. one told me that it was a very mild, and common, version of "hearing voices". The other disagreed and felt that it was the result of an atypical connection between the limbic system and the temporal lobe of the brain. But I have synesthesia, which is what led him to that conclusion - so that may not be typical.
Though if there are more synesthetes on this thread, it might be worth studying.

there was no mistaking this, i was settling into bed, not asleep, had just switched off the tv and snuggling in, i heard my name called from out in the hall, very loud, very determined and very clear. it was my cousin's voice. he died last december. there was a multilayered aspect to it, if i can describe it, as if i could discern different emotional meanings in the one short word. it just shocked me so much, my heart was pounding. i jumped up and went to look in the stable to see if the critters were ok (coyote problems in past) and shined a flashlight around but all was well as far as i could see. i walked around the house, sent a text message to someone out of town to check up on them. i thought it was a warning, but whatever it was it made a mighty big impression. it was loud, clear and in the quiet hallway of my own home. i couldn't shake the actual physical feeling of shock i felt in my heart for a couple of days.
one other time i was also in the quiet of my room and settling in, my dog came in and jumped up on the bed. i said goodnight and patted her and just then we both heard a loud "AHHHH" from the middle of the room, up near the ceiling. the dog just stared at the ceiling for quite awhile before settling back down. i judged by her reaction that it really had happened. what was creepy to me was that the noise was up near the ceiling. for some reason that made it seem worse.

One morning a little over a year ago, I was awakened from a sound sleep by my sister's voice very loudy calling my name directly in my ear. As I lay in bed wide awake and feeling extremely startled and a bit worried since we live miles apart, I then heard her voice again loudly calling out "I'm here!" from downstairs as if she'd just walked in my house.

It sounded so real I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to, of course, nothing. I immediately called her and she was at her own home and as mystified by this occurrence as I was.

Just hearing my name called would be freaky enough, but I could chalk it up to a hypnogogic episode even though I had been asleep all night when I heard it; but since it woke me up and I KNOW I was awake when I heard her call me again, how could that be explained?

Before anybody asks, I live in a townhouse with houses on either side of me; but my next door neighbors on either side were both at work when this happened and in any case our houses are solidly enough built that I cannot hear any voices coming from their houses even when they have company.

When I had a bad cold last week I confined myself to the spare room so I could surround myself with tissues and snore away without being told to shut up every 5 minutes.
Early Wednesday morning I woke up with a start as I had heard my name being called downstairs in the hall...by me! :shock:
It freaked me out for a bit, I put it down to being groggy and in a dreamlike state.

crowwaddle said:
One time I came back in the house after being in the garden for a few minutes, and found my young daughter looking quite worried. She asked me where I had been. After I explained, she said that she had heard a voice asking 'who are you?'. She did an impression of an old gravelly voice, which sent a shiver down my spine. I told her not to worry about it and changed the subject. She seemed to forget about it quite quickly, and never mentioned it again.

It's amazing, I've been reading FTMB for years, and did I take a note of the time, date and circumstances for future reference? No! It's like when something weird happens your brian goes into 'move along now nothing more to see' mode. ;)

I think i may have posted this before elsewhere on the site but here goes. I was helping some of my friends move house whilst at university in London. I was left alone in the house while everyone else went on a trip to the new house. I was sorting out some things in one of the bedrooms and i heard a voice right in my ear say "Get out!". It was said with A LOT of feeling and i swear i could feel the movement of air like when someone really speaks really close into your ear.
I was freaked. Needless to say when everyone else got back i was waiting for themoutside the flat. :oops:

This has happened to me as well, although not recently. It most often happens when I am listening to music. I guess you could make a case that I'm just hearing my name because I'm always listening for it on some level. It also happen when things are very quiet, either indoors or out. I suppose I may just be hearing things then as well. I don't think my name is said nearly as distinctly as some others have heard in this thread.

My 'hearing voices' story, FWIW. (Bear with me, as I always tend to give more details than really necessary.)

A few years ago I worked in a very small department in a local college. When I say 'very small,' I mean as in there were two of us, myself and my boss. Given our office was open to students dropping in, we staggered our breaks so someone would always be in the office. As we had sensitive files in the office and had to lock it if both of us were out of it for any reason, we also developed the habit of announcing our comings and goings to each other quite loudly. My boss had her own office, and I worked in the very small reception area just off it. She had to pass through that area, right by my desk to get between her office and the hall.

One morning, my boss was on her coffee break and I was happily absorbed in doing something on the computer. I heard her announce, quite cheerily, 'I'm back!' Being rather absorbed in what I was doing, I mumbled something to the effect of 'I'll take my break in a few' without looking up.

A few moments passed, and I paused in what I was doing (I honestly can't remember what it was, other than the fact it was something I was whole-heartedly and rather cheerfully absorbed in) and glanced at the time. I realized she had returned very early. I then realized I couldn't hear her at all. She left the adjoining door between our offices open except when a student came to consult her, and I was accustomed to hearing her type, shuffle papers, play music on her DVD player, etc. There was only silence. When I finally stood up and peeked in her office, there was no one there.

At first I was confused, and then I was really shaken by the fact I seemed to be imagining things. As I thought back, I realized that although the voice had sounded exactly like her, right down to the cheery tone, it had sounded like it was right in my ear (which she certainly wouldn't have been), and I didn't remember hearing footsteps or any sound of anyone passing me.

She returned a few minutes later, just as normal. I never mentioned the incident to her, because I was too embarrassed (and, hey, no one wants to admit to hearing voices to their boss, no matter how nice they are.) To this day, I can't make any sense of it. I was happy, well-rested and well-caffeinated; I was very content and not anxious for my break; I have never experienced any hallucinations, auditory or otherwise, and although, strictly speaking it's not impossible she may have returned and then snuck back out through the 'panic door' in her office, I can think of no reason why she would do so and not mention it to me, especially as she'd know I'd be going on my break directly and the office would have to be locked up if she wasn't there. (Yes, there was a back door in her office. It was meant as an escape in case she was shut in there with a belligerent student. It was not a convenient route because it led directly into someone else's office, and the only time it was ever opened, to my knowledge, while I was there, was when she showed it to me.) Looking back, I remember three things: how happy I was working away at the computer, how convinced I was the voice was genuine, and how shaken I was when I realized it wasn't.

Not quite "hearing your name called," but recently I was walking from class to the commuter train, through a residential area, and encountered a man I'm pretty sure I've never met before who seemed to be puttering about on his property. As I always do when I encounter someone, I smiled and said "hello." I could swear he responded, "Hello, <my name>."

Now, I'm not terribly good with names and faces, so it's quite possible I've met him somewhere before and he has an amazing memory for faces and names, but then I would've expected more than a matter-of-fact sounding "Hello, <my name>" - something more like, "Hi, remember me?..."

I suppose, given the brain's tendency to actively interpret data (and not being able to make out a word or two could easily produce some kind of aural simulacrum), a number of one- or two- syllable words he might have added to "hello" (e.g., "hello there") might have been misconstrued by my mind to sound like my name. So I probably just mis-heard him, but it freaked me out a little.

I've had this phenomenon happen to me recently - within the last 4 weeks. I'm not far off 40 yrs old, and had just been made redundant and was slightly anxious about the future and what I'd be doing (all turned out fine, as I knew it would) but for 2 nights in succession (and never before or since) I heard my name called just as I had gone to bed and switched off the light. Each time was a different voice and not one that was known to me. I live alone, so it wasn't someone else in the house. The first time I heard the voice it was a male and the second time a female. There was no urgency to the voices, they seemed quite relaxed. I may be proved wrong, but I felt it was something outside of myself and not coming from within. I wasn't frightened by the phenomena and just took it as a sign that everything was going to be OK. I'd also been seeing a lot of white feathers around (have been told this is a sign of angels being present) but as I have no experiences that i can relate to 'angels' I'm slightly sceptical of this - although pretty open minded to the possibilities in the Universe - it's a very strange place!

Last edited:
My friend was a bit disturbed having this happen to her...she was feeding her newborn son, in bed in the early hours of the morning alone (hubby gone to work on nights).

Desperately tired (as most new mums are) she fell asleep sitting up with baby at her breast when she heard a loud shout "CLAIRE"! she jumped awake to find baby nearly sliding off the bed!!

She cannot explain it - she was alone in the house! She feels it may have been someone watching over her which is a nice thought.

Like Shazzles, I've heard my name called a couple of times from outside me, seemed to be about four foot away, shortley after getting into bed. Thing is, I live in a shared house, so each time, I've got up and trotted downstairs to ask who had called. Each time, there has been someone else awake downstairs, but they are adamant that they haven't called me. To be fair, I never thought they had, as I said, the voice seems to be in my room, close by, but the obvious answer is that it's one of the other house mates.

A while ago I would often hear my name being called in stores, although my name is easily confused with many words...it stopped recently.

Wednesday afternoon had just gone to the bathroom when I heard my name called and "Are you there? Are you there?" This is the way my cousin's wife speaks and I thought she had come to visit. I raced to the front door but noone in sight. I then went to the back door to see if it was the lady from over the back fence but noone in sight there either.
I went back inside and rang my cousin to see if he was ok and he said he had been unwell over the weekend but was ok now.
Just another mystery I suppose.

Cavynaut said:
Isis177 said:
I heard a man's Irish voice in my ear saying my name and " It's for the Dagda" which I didn't quite understand, but he repeated it.

The Dagda is an ancient Irish god, but I don't know what he has to do with 'Riverdance'.

dance can be a form of worship.

I've experienced this just once in my life.
I was alone downstairs (kids asleep upstairs) and fell asleep in front of the tv.
I woke up convinced that my next door neighbour had touched my arm and softly called my name (as you would, if you were trying to gently wake someone).
I was so convinced that she was there, that when I opened my eyes and there was no-one I was really confused :?

Voices called

Two IT trainers (completely unrelated and weeks apart) have both heard their names being called at an IT training centre that I run in the West Midlands. They both recalled that they were the only people in the centre at the time and I can back this up due to managing the schedule. There was no other way of noise from outside either as it occurs only on the 2nd floor and this is far too high above the street.

Both trainers are over 40, experienced and professional but were both reluctant to inform me of their experiences. They only divulged when I mentioned several strange things happening in the centre that I have experienced. The building was constructed around 1850 and was a victorian eye hospital if the logs are correct.

It did make me think that these people were extraordinarily busy people and were working on their own in the building and were possibly in a rush to leave. They may have imagined someone calling their name as a stress related experience?

A couple of weeks after my last post I was a friend's house when my cousin's wife rang on my mobile and spoke just the way I had heard. She was at work and in a panic as she had had a call from their doctor saying her husband( my cousin) had been sent to hospital from the surgery for tests as he'd had severe pain. She couldn't contact him and I told her to ring the hospital.
A lot of ringing back and forth but it turned out to be stones and he just had to drink lots of water to pass them. Scary though because in the past couple of years he's had esophageal cancer and a broken neck.

Back