• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Your Name Called

I have only ever had this happen once and although the accompanying feeling that went with it made me believe it to be very real, it may quite likely have been a dream. I was about 26years old when my nan died. That night i had gone to sleep when I heard her shout my name. Although I woke up I refused to open my eyes as I felt sure she would be there beside the bed looking at me. It hasnt happened again since that night.

The eldest has heard his name being spoken/shouted both at home and in work since he was mid teens until early 20's. The voice is always the same, yet he cant quite work out if it is a young female or a young male ( mid-teens) voice.

I had someone call my name earlier. I was alone in the house, other than the dogs, and quite clearly heard a male voice close by say my name. Got into a bit of a panic cos my husband was then VERY late home, and I convinced myself something had happened to him. Of course, he turned up....

I have heard voices/single words before in the past...many times..sometimes my name other times other words but I think there is an explanation for that phenom.....just can't recall the scientific term.

I have heard voices/single words before in the past...many times..sometimes my name other times other words but I think there is an explanation for that phenom.....just can't recall the scientific term.

Paracusia, which can be either misinterpreting actual noises (like an auditory pareidolia), or hearing a noise without any stimulus at all.

I suppose there is the cocktail party effect, where if someone mentions your name in bitchy (or otherwise) conversation on the far side of the room, you somehow hear it and even in context, as though your brain is monitoring everything going on, but lots of filters take out the confusion before the information gets to your conscious mind.

So if your brain is constantly monitoring everything for things of importance, your name would certainly be one of those, and if there was a noise even a tiny bit like your name you'd tend to interpret it as such, just in case, hence the paracusia Dr Baltar mentions (a new word for me, excellent).

A bit like when you're expecting someone to visit and you keep hearing the doorbell in the sound of the water of the washing up / the toilet flushing etc and dash forth but no-one's actually there.

But having said that I'm sure people would say the voice is a Voice and of a different sound quality. And presumably it is of a different quality to when you hear voices in your head? ie you can tell it's outside yourself?

Paracusia, which can be either misinterpreting actual noises (like an auditory pareidolia), or hearing a noise without any stimulus at all.
I swore last night, after everyone had gone to bed (the Mrs and the neighbours both sides) that I heard about 8 seconds of someone playing an acoustic guitar .. I was standing in our back doorway so it's very possible someone did bust a few chords and it travelled to my ears although no one out of all of us plays the guitar, the sound was sharp and crisp .. I put it down to my painkillers, tiredness and all, it's not the first time I've had auditory hallucinations although never voices or my name. It's quite pleasant in fact although I'm aware that it's not 'normal' so keep that in mind and have mentioned it to consultants in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_hallucination

Last edited:
Maybe it's more normal than you think (not that I'm trying to foist Normality on you :)
It's just that most people probably shrug weirdness off? or don't want to mention it much in case other people think they're not normal!

I swore last night, after everyone had gone to bed (the Mrs and the neighbours both sides) that I heard about 8 seconds of someone playing an acoustic guitar .. I was standing in our back doorway so it's very possible someone did bust a few chords and it travelled to my ears although no one out of all of us plays the guitar, the sound was sharp and crisp .. I put it down to my painkillers, tiredness and all, it's not the first time I've had auditory hallucinations although never voices or my name. It's quite pleasant in fact although I'm aware that it's not 'normal' so keep that in mind and have mentioned it to consultants in the past.

You also have to bear in mind, we live in a world where almost every conceivable sound in the world has been turned into a ringtone.

There ya go.....I knew there was an actual term...just too lazy to look for it. :)

I posted on another thread that I think my earliest Fortean experience is of being 2 or 3 and walking into the livingroom and hearing my voice said out loud very distinctly. I have the impression it was a male voice and there was nobody else in the house except my mum who was in the kitchen. To my knowledge this never happened again. I seem to remember reading this is actually a fairly common experience that happens to people when they are quite young.
I myself have had it happen well into my adult life well past my 20's until now in my mid 30's, usually happens at night before falling asleep.

Isn't one explanation of it that it's the primitive part of the brain talking to us? I'm sure somebody else here knows more about this than me!
I myself put it down to the demonic entities that were behind my episodes of sleep paralysis, though I appreciate that won't be any use to you if your aren't coming from a religo/spiritual slant.

Isn't one explanation of it that it's the primitive part of the brain talking to us? I'm sure somebody else here knows more about this than me!

Look up 'Hatman' 'Old Hag' 'Incubus/Succubus' 'Sleep Paralysis' 'Astral Projection' 'Night Terrors' 'demonic attacks'

Any or all of those may not be applicable to you, but the hearing your name thing you mentioned is tied in with the early stages of all of the above.

Look up 'Hatman' 'Old Hag' 'Incubus/Succubus' 'Sleep Paralysis' 'Astral Projection' 'Night Terrors' 'demonic attacks'

Any or all of those may not be applicable to you, but the hearing your name thing you mentioned is tied in with the early stages of all of the above.

Well, I will say I certainly experienced astral projection when young - as I have said in another thread. Only once, much later, did I experience sleep paralysis, though in my case I found it quite a positive thing as I visualised a huge beautiful multicoloured butterfly flying across the ceiling! Also, as I had already read up on the subject, I immediately knew what was happening so I was in no way disturbed. I do find any take on dreams/sleeping etc, very interesting as most of my Fortean experiences seem to revolve around it.

Well, I will say I certainly experienced astral projection when young - as I have said in another thread. Only once, much later, did I experience sleep paralysis, though in my case I found it quite a positive thing as I visualised a huge beautiful multicoloured butterfly flying across the ceiling! Also, as I had already read up on the subject, I immediately knew what was happening so I was in no way disturbed. I do find any take on dreams/sleeping etc, very interesting as most of my Fortean experiences seem to revolve around it.

I'm glad to hear that your experiences with astral projection were overwhelmingly positive, the only advice I would give is always try to be aware of your silver cord which connects your astral body to your physical body sleeping wherever your physical body may lie, if that cord gets severed you will not make it back to your body and be lost in the astral realm, this happens I will suggest to many who suddenly 'die in their sleep' from so called 'natural causes' and if you found out that the positive experiences you had were merely a ruse where your mind was manipulated to experience positive experiences and you wake up in an eternal nightmare that you can never wake up from, well it doesn't bare thinking about and is the main reason why I myself have never messed with the astral realm, I've had many sleep paralysis episodes where it would have been very easy to induce astral travel but I have always resisted this, basically the way I see it, anything that comes in the night uninvited and puts you in a state of terror that you have no control over, where you have no control over the mechanical movements of your own body, well it is not to be trusted and I wouldn't trust it as a trustworthy tour guide of any kind ! Those images you saw, the whole astral landscape/dreamscape are images feelings and sensations implanted into your mind by extremely malevolent beings, some myself included call these demonic spirits, the astral realm is the lower fourth dimension where all kinds of evil entities reside and is what Christians call hell. Even Hollywood is starting to reveal the evil truth about astral projection in films like the 'Insidious' franchise, lots of truths are presented as so called 'fiction' in movies and the entertainment industry as a whole, it's their way of getting it out there without admitting that there is a realistic basis behind it.

A little strangeness from my mother. A few months ago my mother was hurrying around her local shops running errands. Shes usually very careful crossing one particular road, where you have to step into the road to see if any vehicles are coming, but on this particular Saturday she was in a rush and didnt think about checking if there were oncoming cars. Just as she was about to step into the road she heard someone call her name. To my mother it sounded like her mother calling her. She spun around, amazed to hear her mothers voice.
Just as she had turned around, a car whizzed past her, going well over the speed limit for that road, and, had she stepped out, she would have been very badly hurt, if not killed. Of course, once she'd turned around to see who had called, no one was there. Her mother died in 1994, and she has heard her voice several times over the years, usually when shes in some sort of danger.
This experience shook my mother, but other than that she's fine.

if that cord gets severed you will not make it back to your body and be lost in the astral realm, this happens I will suggest to many who suddenly 'die in their sleep' from so called 'natural causes'
Hello Indrid, I am fascinated by the night hag /sleep paralysis and I read a very interesting (serious) book recently on people's experiences
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/081221305X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am intrigued though as to what your reasoning is behind the quote above - don't people who 'astral travel' usually have to work quite hard at it (unless they have one spontaneously after taking drugs or being in a life-threatening situation)? Isn't it unlikely that Uncle Bob (previously uninterested in hallucinogenics and OOBEs) would suddenly have an experience and on this first experience somehow break the cord and die? (hence your natural death theory)

Besides, if the cord breaking means that people die - how would one even surmise that much, if no-one ever comes back from such an accident? Wouldn't it mean that people who regularly induce OOBEs would be more likely to die in their sleep? It's not something I'm aware of. But then such statistics wouldn't really get counted, so who knows. But then if they're not - where do you get the idea from that cord-breaking does kill you? Is it in some religious text?

(sorry if this is a bit off topic of name-calling)

Probably someone browsing Facebook and one of those annoying videos on there auto-played. The person then muted the sound but not before you'd heard it.

Probably someone browsing Facebook and one of those annoying videos on there auto-played. The person then muted the sound but not before you'd heard it.
That's possible, yeah ..

Hello Indrid, I am fascinated by the night hag /sleep paralysis and I read a very interesting (serious) book recently on people's experiences
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/081221305X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am intrigued though as to what your reasoning is behind the quote above - don't people who 'astral travel' usually have to work quite hard at it (unless they have one spontaneously after taking drugs or being in a life-threatening situation)? Isn't it unlikely that Uncle Bob (previously uninterested in hallucinogenics and OOBEs) would suddenly have an experience and on this first experience somehow break the cord and die? (hence your natural death theory)

Besides, if the cord breaking means that people die - how would one even surmise that much, if no-one ever comes back from such an accident? Wouldn't it mean that people who regularly induce OOBEs would be more likely to die in their sleep? It's not something I'm aware of. But then such statistics wouldn't really get counted, so who knows. But then if they're not - where do you get the idea from that cord-breaking does kill you? Is it in some religious text?

(sorry if this is a bit off topic of name-calling)

Hi Eponastill thanks for your reply, your right it is a very fascinating subject ! My first ever experience of the silver chord was as a baby, it is my earliest memory and my only memory as a baby, but I remember it with such clarity that it could just as well have happened yesterday, my next earliest memory came a few years later when I was a toddler. Anyway I was on the stairs of my house where we lived at the time, I was literally floating on the stairs and remember the rays of sunlight coming through the blinds, it was absolutely blissfull and I was completely at peace with my surroundings taking it all in as a new and curious being would, I clearly remember a string attached to the top of my head, it was more like spider silk than the 'silver' I mentioned earlier, however that is how I have heard it mentioned by others who I've read talk of it, in a book by somebody claiming to be Aleister Crowley's son 'Armado Crowley' he speaks of this silver chord and it being the connection for the soul between the
physical and the astral, and also of the consequences of it becoming severed, now I don't just take one persons account as Gospel truth, first of all I only pay it any heed if it fits in with MY OWN experience, and many more have mentioned it, I suggest a Google search, in fact I will run one myself to jog my own memory. Even in religious traditions including the Judeo/Christian speak of this chord, hope that helps :plane:

Omg - That happens to me still. Usually it's my moms voice. I'm keeping her at bay and contact is just through the phone but yeah . . . I hear sometimes ppl call me a lot and I can assure you, not many ppl have my name :)

Hi Eponastill thanks for your reply, your right it is a very fascinating subject ! My first ever experience of the silver chord was as a baby, it is my earliest memory and my only memory as a baby, but I remember it with such clarity that it could just as well have happened yesterday, my next earliest memory came a few years later when I was a toddler. Anyway I was on the stairs of my house where we lived at the time, I was literally floating on the stairs and remember the rays of sunlight coming through the blinds, it was absolutely blissfull and I was completely at peace with my surroundings taking it all in as a new and curious being would, I clearly remember a string attached to the top of my head, it was more like spider silk than the 'silver' I mentioned earlier, however that is how I have heard it mentioned by others who I've read talk of it, in a book by somebody claiming to be Aleister Crowley's son 'Armado Crowley' he speaks of this silver chord and it being the connection for the soul between the
physical and the astral, and also of the consequences of it becoming severed, now I don't just take one persons account as Gospel truth, first of all I only pay it any heed if it fits in with MY OWN experience, and many more have mentioned it, I suggest a Google search, in fact I will run one myself to jog my own memory. Even in religious traditions including the Judeo/Christian speak of this chord, hope that helps :plane:

I'm more wondering how you could see a string if it was attached to the top of your head?

In my teenage years, I was in my room listening to music one day when I heard my mum calling me- I went into the kitchen to see what she wanted, but she was puzzled as she explained she hadn't shouted.

This happened several more times, always I heard her call my name, already she said she hadn't.

One day, when I was alone in the house, I heard it again- this is when I realised that a certain song had a tiny sound in the background that, to my ears, sounded like my mum's voice saying my name! Just a small piece of background vocal, it's only an 'ooh' type of noise, rather than a word, but my brain clearly interpreted it as my name.

25 years later, and it still works- I played the song a few weeks ago and 'heard my name' again!

(If anyone wants to know, the song is Armageddon It by Def Leppard).

I'm more wondering how you could see a string if it was attached to the top of your head?
When you are outside of your body (get it ? 'Outside' your body') you see everything around you, inside our bodies we are looking from the inside out through our eyes and so wouldn't be able to see a chord emanating from the top of your head, outside of your body you are looking at yourself from a different view point/perspective, that's the best way I can put it.

Had this yesterday.

After a slightly fraught cat-related incident* I was backing my car off the drive, a bit miffed because the car of the neighbour opposite was in the way so it was a little tricky.

As I moved along slowly, looking all round for passing pedestrians/cyclists/pets, I distinctly heard my name called urgently from my right, like Scargy!!

Sounded like a young man or youth. I thought 'Oh no, cat's out again! and stopped and looked; nobody in sight.
Techy was upstairs so I looked at his window in case he was calling me - no sign. My passenger didn't hear it and she didn't think the song on t'car radio sounded like it. Nuts. Stress?

*Was driving a friend home and spotted my oldest cat wandering along the street past my house. This cat is is over 20 and deaf, and is also quite senile, so I don't like her going out the front. However, as she has little catty mates to visit she sneaks out when she can and is perfectly agile enough to get back over the fence without my knowing she's done one unless I spot her.

So yesterday I turned the car round, parked up, jumped out and ran after the cat, who'd eyeballed me and was already on way home smartish.
Caught her up nearly on the doorstep, grabbed her, chucked her in through the front door and went back to the car. Drove it forwards up the drive to turn round, started backing up and heard the voice.

Had this yesterday.

After a slightly fraught cat-related incident* I was backing my car off the drive, a bit miffed because the car of the neighbour opposite was in the way so it was a little tricky.

As I moved along slowly, looking all round for passing pedestrians/cyclists/pets, I distinctly heard my name called urgently from my right, like Scargy!!

Sounded like a young man or youth. I thought 'Oh no, cat's out again! and stopped and looked; nobody in sight.
Techy was upstairs so I looked at his window in case he was calling me - no sign. My passenger didn't hear it and she didn't think the song on t'car radio sounded like it. Nuts. Stress?

*Was driving a friend home and spotted my oldest cat wandering along the street past my house. This cat is is over 20 and deaf, and is also quite senile, so I don't like her going out the front. However, as she has little catty mates to visit she sneaks out when she can and is perfectly agile enough to get back over the fence without my knowing she's done one unless I spot her.

So yesterday I turned the car round, parked up, jumped out and ran after the cat, who'd eyeballed me and was already on way home smartish.
Caught her up nearly on the doorstep, grabbed her, chucked her in through the front door and went back to the car. Drove it forwards up the drive to turn round, started backing up and heard the voice.
Is the voice actually saying 'Scargy' rather than your real name? It could be a deceased board member haunting you.

Is the voice actually saying 'Scargy' rather than your real name? It could be a deceased board member haunting you.
Now that WOULD have been weird! :omg:

Though it would be an honour to be haunted by any of our dear late posters.

Back