Hedgehogs Need Your Help

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Winter is approaching fast, and our little spikey chums need your assistance. If they don't attain enough weight before the cold weather, they'll starve to death or die of cold.

It needn't be difficult or expensive. As a minimum, just put out a couple of dishes with clean drinking water and food.

The gold standard would be to provide a feeding station that deters other animals from stealing the piggies' food. Simple instructions here:

Our feeding station in use

Food can be as simple as cheap, chicken-based puppy food. Don't put out bread and milk, please: it's actively harmful to hogs. Mealworms also are on the no-no list.

Spike's hedgehog biscuits are the ideal solution, and are available from Amazon; or most pet shops and garden centres.

If you really want to help, a hogitat - either home-made or bought - makes a welcome addition to any garden. (Your garden will also benefit from the bug removal service that piggies offer).

If you're planning a bonfire for Hallowe'en or November 5th, please, please ensure that piggies can't burrow into the pile and use it as a nest. Fence it off, or - at the very least - just light one side to allow them to escape before it's too late.

More info, hints and tips:

https://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/

maximus otter

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Winter is approaching fast, and our little spikey chums need your assistance. If they don't attain enough weight before the cold weather, they'll starve to death or die of cold.

It needn't be difficult or expensive. As a minimum, just put out a couple of dishes with clean drinking water and food.

The gold standard would be to provide a feeding station that deters other animals from stealing the piggies' food. Simple instructions here:

Our feeding station in use

Food can be as simple as cheap, chicken-based puppy food. Don't put out bread and milk, please: it's actively harmful to hogs. Mealworms also are on the no-no list.

Spike's hedgehog biscuits are the ideal solution, and are available from Amazon; or most pet shops and garden centres.

If you really want to help, a hogitat - either home-made or bought - makes a welcome addition to any garden. (Your garden will also benefit from the bug removal service that piggies offer).

If you're planning a bonfire for Hallowe'en or November 5th, please, please ensure that piggies can't burrow into the pile and use it as a nest. Fence it off, or - at the very least - just light one side to allow them to escape before it's too late.

More info, hints and tips:

https://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/

maximus otter
I wish we had them here to save , but that station would be a great squirrel feeder in my neighborhood.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I saw the first dead one in the road for years last Sunday. Hopefully this means they are making a bit of a comeback.

I'm not sure if the poor creature was dead when I saw it - it might just have been curled up, but it was a busy A road and not practical to stop the traffic and rescue it as I have done on urban back roads. (A long time ago when they were seen commonly)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I read this and went out to leave food in a know HH path.

Do I get a gold star? In addition to having a heart attack when I get back late, caused by something snuffling and huffing in the bushes......

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
We have just housed two hedgehogs in our garden.

The first is a tiny little girl called Tammy (not our naming...):

Tammy was found by somebody else in their garden, weighing only about 200g. Our local hedgehog helper has fed her up to about 350g, and asked us to house her in our garden. We were only too delighted to be able to assist.

The second is this gargantuan critter whom we found at Christmas and christened Noel (see what we did there?). Noel only weighed about 350g when we found him, so we passed him on to our helper, and he now weighs an enormous 1,200g!

(Sorry: My wife set her iPhone camera to "Portrait" mode, so it locked in on the human face, not the interesting bit).

Our helper was - until a big release yesterday - looking after no fewer than 32 piggies, so sending some of her charges back out into the wild has been a major de-stressor for her.

My wife had bought another hogitat for us, so we now have four in our 40' x 40' suburban garden. We were delighted when our helper told us that our estate was a hotspot for piggies, due perhaps in some small way to the efforts of my wife and I. Preen, preen.

Here's a poor iPhone grab shot of wee Tammy being installed into her brand new hogitat with plenty of fresh pet hay for her to make a bed to her spec:

I would urge my fellow FTMB-ers to do their bit to help our hedgehogs, even if only by putting out a shallow dish of tap water during the warm months. If you really want to see results, leave out an old dish with some cheap Tesco chicken-flavoured kitten biscuits under an improvised feeding station:

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
We have an occasional hedgehog in our garden. One night at some point in the early hours I was astonished to see him racing up the front path at quite a pelt, looking for all the world like he had just walked in through the garden gate. Never knew they could move quite so fast.

We've seen him a couple of times in the back garden at night :) Maybe we should construct a house and feeding station for him?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, why not put out some food & water? I'd love to have a hog in my garden.

I'm not sure whether hogs use a regular 'home' they come back to post hibernation or are wanderers who find a different spot each night. Max will put us straight.

That should probably be day seeing as they're largely nocturnal.

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
We shall have to find somewhere 'dog proof' for the food, otherwise Mrs Tiggywinkle will not have a hope of getting any of it. Hopefully hedgehogs have a good nose for food so that if we place it out of dog reach (and therefore some distance from where we have ever seen the creature) it will still find it.

:D

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether hogs use a regular 'home' they come back to post hibernation or are wanderers who find a different spot each night..
Piggies will always return to a nest at daybreak. If you see a piggy out in the daytime, especially if it's feeding, it's a sign that something is wrong.

They can, however, have several nests; and may use one for a time, then transfer to another, then back to the first again etc. Several hedgehogs can "take it in turns" to use one nest.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I say Sir! Noel is a freat big fuck off hedgehog isn't he?

:twothumbs:
He certainly is. Oddly, hedgehogs are very much like humans in one respect: they love fatty, sugary food, and are prone to obesity and heart disease! Our helper was even a little concerned that Noel was a wee bit too "thriving", so a return to nature and reality will probably do the porky little bugger the power of good.

If only I could do the same...

maximus otter

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Less traffic on the roads is going to be a good thing as far as hedgehogs are concerned.
Do hedgehogs have the same road death rate as 30-40 years ago, or have they got better at surviving?

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
I wonder if our Mrs Tiggywinkle was out and about in the garden last night. Mr Zebra was letting the dogs out for the last time before bed and he came back in and said he could hear a noise in the garden. So we put the dogs to their bed and went outside... Mr Zebra jiggled about in front of the security light to keep in on whilst I wandered down garden a bit trying to listen...

... there was a sort of rustling noise but we couldn't see anything... well, I could see one thing; Mr Zebra's shadow moving across me as he jiggled in front of the light, which kept making me think someone was walking behind me, so that got my nerves on edge and I ended up abandoning my search and heading for the safety of the house.

Fun times.