• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

It goes without saying Hellboy is without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most esoteric comics ever. It is totally awesome. Does anyone know if the new movie will have an occult Nazi storyline as the majority of the comics do or a Lovecraftian one as some of the other stories do-or will it be just esoteric with a mix ?
All I know is Ron Pearlman is perfect, as Toro as a directer-Blade 2 rocked!

Just read (from DVD info) that the guy behind HELLBOY helped make most of the incredibly sickening Japanese GUINEA PIG movies.

Considering that most of these pathetic movies revolve around nothing but pure mutilation of a man or woman for the length of the film, I'm surprised that this new one will actually have a plot.

What's the appeal, please?

Come to think of it, I think the guy behind HELLBABY did the GUINEA PIGS movies. Not HELLBOY. Uh, nevermind.

unlike uncool me who clicked it expecting something on caravans!

education is a life long process....

Kath

I downloaded the high def. version.

Yumm! Great trailer! :yeay:

Hellboy and Bride of American Splendor

1) Anybody interested in Hellboy starring Ron Perlman & directed by Guillermo del Toro?

HELLBOY

2) from Sci Fi.com:

Duo To Reimagine Bride

Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini (American Splendor) are in talks to rewrite and direct a remake of Bride of Frankenstein, Variety reported. Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer will produce for Universal Pictures, the trade paper reported.

Bride would be the duo's first deal since they were Oscar-nominated last week for adapted screenplay for Splendor. Berman and Pulcini join the project with a mandate to re-imagine the 1935 SF horror movie, originally helmed by James Whale and starring Boris Karloff and Elsa Lanchester.

Berman and Pulcini are expected to start from scratch and write a character-driven horror film more akin to Rosemary's Baby, the trade paper reported. Their concept for Bride is set in contemporary New York, centered on a young woman who is haunted by someone else's memories and gradually discovers that she had died and was brought back from the dead.

Bride will have no connection to the studio's upcoming 19th-century-set Van Helsing, due out May 7, which also features the character of Frankenstein's monster.

Link to Story

actually i'm scared of hellboy, starring ron perlman, although he may be perfect for the role, all comic to movies are dissapointing, but some classics in there own right, Hollywood ruins a good story and thats a fact.

"all comic to movies are dissapointing"

Ghost World was pretty good though and I'm told that Road To Perdition 'aint that bad.

naSTEe said:
actually i'm scared of hellboy, starring ron perlman, although he may be perfect for the role, all comic to movies are dissapointing, but some classics in there own right, Hollywood ruins a good story and thats a fact.

Rocketeer being the most well accomplished comic book to movie film there is.

Niles Calder said:
You have that backwards Hook.
I have indeed. sorry, I meant to say UK.

Kinda knew that would happen though. Still, all good things...

Hellboy is supposed to be based on the Seeds of Destruction storyline where he battles occult Nazis and Rasputin.

:cool:

Both trailers I've seen so far have knocked my socks off! (metaphorically speaking).

The Hellboy books themselves look like they've been spirit drawn by, Jack Kirby. No bad thing.

The people in the trailer all seem really cool and look like 'FT', or potential 'FT' readers to me!

Have to say I was a little worried by the last trailer. Hellboy himself looks great as do all the other Hellboy characters, as does the sets but it left me with an empty Hollywood blockbuster feeling-maybe it was just the way the trailer had been edited-but it just looked a little painted by numbers-no real story just lots of predictable set pieces,cliched lines and big SFX explosions. However maybe the trailers aim was to try and appeal to the lowest common denominator, the denominations that haven't really heard of Hellboy. I truly hope so, I intially thought that the combination of the Hellboy mythos, Del toro directing,Mignola on set , great designs,great costumes and Ron Pearlman as an equation that could not possibly fail-I didn't take into account Hollywood. Don't want to sound pious and snobby-I just really love Hellboy comics, in the same way as I used to love Judge Dredd and The Leaque Of Extraodinary Gentleman comics and looked what happened to the movies of them.
I truly hope I'm wrong.......:confused:

September? I don't believe it! That's like another six months!!! More time to get more familiar with Hellboy, I suppose. I just recently got The Seed of Destruction. It's quite good, isn't it?

Here's an in-depth report by someone who's seen a version of the movie (SPOILERS, I guess)
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16778

I found these free online Hellboy comics using a Google search.
http://www.playboy.com/darkhorse/hellboy/index.html
http://www.playboy.com/darkhorse/the_corpse/dh.html

Review from AICN below:

-------------------------------------------
Before I get into the review, I have to give a tad bit of my back history with HELLBOY... or my lack thereof. I've read only two Hellboy graphic novels and both of those were thanks to my good friend, Neil, who also introduced me to the wonders of PREACHER. Neil's as big a Hellboy fanatic as I've ever seen. I found it a little difficult to get into the first book, which if I remember correctly was SEED OF DESTRUCTION, but I went loopy for CONQUEROR WORM with the giant robot apes and floating nazi zombie heads in glass jars...

I also dug the hell out of the online comics I've seen. THE WOLVES OF ST. AUGUST was recommended to me by my buddy, Kraken, and that's by far my favorite Hellboy story so far. Hellboy Vs. Werewolf ghosts (or is it ghost werewolves? hehe)

In other words, I wasn't too firmly attached to the HELLBOY universe. I liked the majority of what I'd seen, but I've only really read a very small selection from the many HELLBOY stories out there.

The film kicks so much ass, guys. Del Toro plays to all the great base geek cornerstones. Tentacled Lovecraftian Gods, hot super-powered chicks, badass butt-kicking anti-hero, evil nazi zombie assassins, supernatural monsters and Baby Ruth addiction! It's all there!

I knew Guillermo could deliver great action. His stuff in BLADE 2 was fantastic comic-book/pound your fist in the air stuff. What came as a pleasant surprise was the character he sneaked into the film. Anyone who has seen his DEVIL'S BACKBONE or CRONOS, knows he can pull some masterful performances and great depth from his characters, even if they're in unbelievable situations.

I was very happy to see him kinda merge the comic-book action with the characterization of his smaller films. You can really feel Hellboy's love for Liz Sherman (played by the amazingly beautiful Selma Blair). You really can feel the love and respect he has for his father figure, played by the great John Hurt. Del Toro doesn't spend too much time centered on these storylines, but he was still able to bring them across and make them something more than just character ideas. He also gave Hellboy a few great human moments, which I won't spoil here, but you'll know 'em when you see 'em.

The trailers and TV spots for this film are great and I believe they will help drive the box office up to huge levels, but they do give away a lot of stuff that I would have preferred to have seen first in the context of the film. Not really that they really give away a lot of the plot, but the visuals. I never really felt that first grand awe of seeing Rick Baker's brilliant work with HELLBOY or Spectral Motion's equally brilliant work on Abe Sapien. Abe Sapien is fucking amazing. Hellboy is amazing looking. The saturation of them kinda lessened the impact of seeing them up on the screen together, but if that means this flick becomes a huge deal and makes bundles of money, then it was worth it.

The CG is good. It looks like CG in some scenes (especially with the baby Hellboy), but it never really bugged me. At the worst it felt comic booky and I was, afterall, watching a comic book movie.

The only thing I didn't love in the film was the score. I liked it. It fit. But I'm just thirsting for a great superhero theme. I would have loved to hear what someone like Basil Poledouris would have done... Think of a ROBOCOP type theme for HELLBOY and CONAN THE BARBARIAN type music during the fights with big tentacle dog thingies. Marco Beltrami (TERMINATOR 3, SCREAM) did the score, which like I said above is good. It's just not really a standout. No one left the theatre humming any music from the film.

Ron Perlman absolutely shines in the flick. He's forever been one of the best character actors around and a vastly underused talent. His raw badassness is unmatched at the moment. He was born to play HELLBOY. He IS HELLBOY!

The whole supporting cast was great... I'm in love with pyro chick, Liz Sherman. I adore Abe Sapien. I even got to like the human agent dude, who I was sure was going to disappear as a character, unable to keep my interest when surrounded by psychic fishmen, good guy hell spawn and giant tentacle monsters. He didn't... But my two favorite characters in the the film... well, they weren't who I expected them to be.

The first is Kroenen, the sweet as hell Nazi assassin who always wears those creepy-ass gasmasks! I want a toy of him from the beginning of the film, when he's decked out in his SS uniform and slick black gasmask! This dude was super fast, super cool and super deadly. Kroenen's the Darth Maul of the film. Sweet looking and cooler than the Fonze in a fridge. But unlike Darth Maul, Kroenen is actually in a good movie!

The second is that cool as shit "Speaker," the corpse that Hellboy raises to help guide him toward the end of the film. Pissed off dead Russian dude with a smart mouth and noose around his neck. My only complaint is that he leaves the film so quickly. I want more!

That's certainly the feeling after seeing the film... "I want more!" Matter of fact, when Guillermo took the stage at the end of the film he was greeted by a fan from the balcony shouting, "Sequel! Sequel!" I can't agree more. The characters are set up. They are super-badass and cool. Bring on the next one! Just make sure you give me my Werewolf Ghosts... or Ghost Werewolves. I'm not picky.

That's it from me, squirts! I better run or I'll miss tonight's screening of John Landis' new flick, the documentary SLASHER... I'll be back with my ongoing coverage of SXSW! 'Til that day, this is Quint bidding you all a fond farewell and adieu.
-----------------------------------------------
:cool:

Guillermo del Toro appears to be a huge fan of comics in general and Mike Mignola in particular. Del Toro and Mignola were guests at 2002 International Comicon in San Diego, and both talked about discovering that their list of literary and artistic influences were a very close match. Del Toro and Mignola would like to work together someday on "the Mountains of Madness", but only if they can find a studio that allows them to do it properly.

That said, I hope the movie doesn't suck.

There were Nazis. There were Lovecraftian creatures. Abe Sapien was great, and Ron Perlman *was* Hellboy. There were, of course, things that were different from the comics, but they worked. I liked it a lot.

One normal and one rocky thumb up

Watched this with no real pre-conception having not read the comics but was pleasantly surprised. Funny, not too much CGI and Perlman was as ever excellent (very underrated actor). An odd mix of occult Nazis and Lovecraft style slithery tentacled beasties it really does bode well for At The Mountains Of Madness movie that Del Toro is doing at the moment. Enjoyed it hugely as it goes.

One thing did strike me has anyone played Bloodrayne the PC game out a wee while ago, it has an almost identical plot to the movie even down to the blades on the arms thing that the clockwork nazi Kroenan (sp) has, even has the big tentacled slimey at the end? If I was Black Horse comics I'd sue! In fact back in Sept 2003 there was talk of a movie based on the game.

I adored it. Brilliant, not remotely disappointing. They crammed so much in.

Back