• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help Finding a Story

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Morning.

I used to be a member of these boards, many moons ago, and thought that it's current members might be able to help me with a small problem I have. (I decided to put it here as it's just a general query).

Years ago I remember reading a story about a guy who, whilst walking along the beachfront with his wife/girlfriend, spies a flight of steps and has an epiphany about the banking system and how it's flawed (for reasons I can't recall). He retreats from view and writes a book or report about the banking system and presents it to his bank. The manager is appalled that such a loophole (that is never explained) has never been spotted before, and the unnamed guy is given a reward of unrevealed size.

Does anyone know of this story? By story, I don't mean fictional story, but more like an urban legend, word of mouth about someone who knew someone who used to work with a guy, sort of thing. Along the lines of Tom Slemen's stuff.

I was reading a lot of Tom's stuff at the time, but I don't think it was anything to do with him as I've been looking for months to no avail. Any amount of googling the terms 'bank', 'system', 'steps' produces nothing more than tips on the recession and how to combat it.

Any ideas? I seem to recall it also had a tale about a car that ran on water that was chock full of levers, that wound up being sold , surprise surprise, to some oil company or other.

This isn't the UL about the workers somewhere in the London Sewers, or tube system, finding a secret underground entrance into the vaults of the Bank of England, is it?

Afternoon Pietro, thanks for the reply.

No, this wasn't anything to do with those ULs. This was more of a recounted tale rather than an urban legend; it didn't have the following or notoriety for an urban legend. It had more of an "Here's something interesting I heard....." quality. The 'loophole' or technique that the man supposedly discovered would have crashed the entire banking system and rendered it impotent, apparently, and would have only taken a few pence to acheive.

Tom Slemen gathers stories from around Liverpool about supposedly true strange occurences and ghost stories (http://www.slemen.com) and this had a similar feel, though wasn't necessarily from Liverpool.

It's driving me nuts because I felt sure it was one of his stories, yet I'm drawing a complete blank.

Back