Help Identifying Weird Short Story About Impossible House

amarok2005

Ephemeral Spectre
Well, I started the plunge and began House of Leaves again after several years. I'm up to page 50 with 600+ pages to go, but I was hooked by page 8. Much of the book is dedicated to describing what the protagonists are catching on video tape; certainly there are overtones of Ringu movies and Blair Witch. I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to recreate the tapes, professionally or fannishly.

I find all the comments and references and footnotes fascinating, but I've always tried to draw maps of HPL's Dream-World and write encyclopedias of Andre Norton's and Manly W. Wellman's fiction. I can see how the casual writer would become frustrated with it. (I've been getting tired myself of the narrations wrapped around other narrations, truth to tell.) But I intend to slog on!

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
I wasn't crazy about HotB, liked the first half where it's Fantasy/Action/Horror but found the later stages where the protagonists is having visions or travelling through time or whatever interminable, the latter parts of some Lovecraft is similar.
The OP sounded a bit like Lovecraft to me as well.

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
got to admit, i was thikning "He Built A Crooked house", but the description didn't quite fit...

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
Well, I started the plunge and began House of Leaves again after several years. I'm up to page 50 with 600+ pages to go, but I was hooked by page 8.
I#ve gone through the whole thing a handful of times. I was lost in it first time through, the nightmare quality was vividly experienced! Something, many things, come out for me on each rereading :)