• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help Identifying Weird Short Story About Impossible House

Well, I started the plunge and began House of Leaves again after several years. I'm up to page 50 with 600+ pages to go, but I was hooked by page 8. Much of the book is dedicated to describing what the protagonists are catching on video tape; certainly there are overtones of Ringu movies and Blair Witch. I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to recreate the tapes, professionally or fannishly.

I find all the comments and references and footnotes fascinating, but I've always tried to draw maps of HPL's Dream-World and write encyclopedias of Andre Norton's and Manly W. Wellman's fiction. I can see how the casual writer would become frustrated with it. (I've been getting tired myself of the narrations wrapped around other narrations, truth to tell.) But I intend to slog on!

I wasn't crazy about HotB, liked the first half where it's Fantasy/Action/Horror but found the later stages where the protagonists is having visions or travelling through time or whatever interminable, the latter parts of some Lovecraft is similar.
The OP sounded a bit like Lovecraft to me as well.

got to admit, i was thikning "He Built A Crooked house", but the description didn't quite fit...

Well, I started the plunge and began House of Leaves again after several years. I'm up to page 50 with 600+ pages to go, but I was hooked by page 8.

I#ve gone through the whole thing a handful of times. I was lost in it first time through, the nightmare quality was vividly experienced! Something, many things, come out for me on each rereading :)

Inspired by this thread I got hold of House of Leaves.

Got to page 100 and started skimming.

Got half way through and i climbed through the cellar door, into my attic and shot myself in the head, screaming No, No, No...

I considered reviewing it on goodreads using the following three words self-indulgent, masturbatory, and crepuscular.
I imagined putting the three words into code. Perhaps base 64, or pigpen. Or maybe a vignere with the phrase 'blindmencantwatchfilms' as the key.

But then I didn't.

ɥsıuıℲ ʇ,upıᗡ : ƃuo˥ oo⊥

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread I got hold of House of Leaves.

Got to page 100 and started skimming.

Got half way through and i climbed through the cellar door, into my attic and shot myself in the head, screaming No, No, No...

I considered reviewing it on goodreads using the following three words self-indulgent, masturbatory, and crepuscular.
I imagined putting the three words into code. Perhaps base 64, or pigpen. Or maybe a vignere with the phrase 'blindmencantwatchfilms' as the key.

But then I didn't.
I notice that you tend to hold back. That's not good for you. Please, tell us how you really feel.

Are you all ready? Mr Banana once more!! :dbana:

How I really felt?
Lol.
That I was too old and that my life wasn't going to be long enough.

But that was too depressing, so I thought I'd write something amusing instead.

Or this.

:bs:

But other people like it, so that's ok.

Back