• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help Identifying Young Adult/Horror Novel

Ogdred Weary

ᛟᛒᛊᛏᛁᚾᚨᛏᛖ ᚲᛁᛗᚱᛁᚲ
Inspired by the "chased by skeletons" thread, as a young teen in the early 90s I read part of a book in class, I think we had to sit and silently read, unusual for secondary school but they did happen occasionally in my first year or two. The book was likely published in the 80s, possibly 70s, it wasn't "new" at the time. I can only recall one thing which deeply spooked me: the protagonist, who is a teen/older child staying somewhere in the country - either with a relative or they are possibly a war evacuee, witnesses a local woman who has the reputation for being a witch, reanimating the corpse of a horse. I think it's skeletal, or at least the skull is exposed, and the thing that got under my skin: it stood on its hindlegs. I think this must happen early on in the novel, as I just read a chunk of a book briefly in class, it's possible it was a short story too. I think the child runs away, I don't recall anything after. I didn't ever return to the book but that image or moment has stayed with me.

Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Inspired by the "chased by skeletons" thread, as a young teen in the early 90s I read part of a book in class, I think we had to sit and silently read, unusual for secondary school but they did happen occasionally in my first year or two. The book was likely published in the 80s, possibly 70s, it wasn't "new" at the time. I can only recall one thing which deeply spooked me: the protagonist, who is a teen/older child staying somewhere in the country - either with a relative or they are possibly a war evacuee, witnesses a local woman who has the reputation for being a witch, reanimating the corpse of a horse. I think it's skeletal, or at least the skull is exposed, and the thing that got under my skin: it stood on its hindlegs. I think this must happen early on in the novel, as I just read a chunk of a book briefly in class, it's possible it was a short story too. I think the child runs away, I don't recall anything after. I didn't ever return to the book but that image or moment has stayed with me.

Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Yes, it was called WitchyPoo and Skelly the Horse.

Sorry no, I've never read it.

Back