• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help me find this picture, please

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
I remember seeing this picture, many years ago, on a calendar. Unfortunately, I never saw the name of the artist or the picture.

Quite simply, it's a ghost ship. It's quite a dark painting. There is a 'normal' ship on the left hand side of the picture. There is a monumental storm blowing, with lots of mist, fog and clouds; and out of the clouds, and partially of the clouds, is a ghost ship, veryFlying Dutchman.

Except any Flying Dutchman painting I Google for isn't the one I have in mind.

The reason for the request is that I'd very much like a framed copy of this picture above the mantlepiece in my library in my new house.

Can anyone find the picture I'm talking about, please?

Hmm - such a shame you asked this after the film Ghost Ship came out - makes the google search so much harder :)

Gordon

Tell me about it. :roll:

It must be an oil painting. I actually saw it in an old calendar, I think of ships, when I was about 12. I think the calendar was out of date even then.

None of which helps narrow the search down.

I've spent pretty much ALL of today trawling the internet for it. I should have been reading instead, but no - I kept thinking, "Oh I'll try one more search...." :roll:

Might it have been an illustration of The Ancient Marriner? The crew of the Marriner's ship encounter the phantom ship of the Nightmare Life-in-Death. Mind you, the arrival of that ship breaks a becalmed spell - it is not heralded by a storm.

Was it an oil painting or an engraving? There were lots of 19th Century steel engravings to illustrate the Ballad, many of them dark.

Illustrations of the Flying Dutchman tend to feature the phantom ship in harbour more often than not. :D

It may have been. When I saw it, it was definitely in a calendar, though. I even cut the picture out and kept it, although I have no idea what happened to it since then.

If I find it, and it's not as good as I remembered, I am going to be soooooo disappointed.....

Nope. Nice picture, but no.

This was definitely in colour, and had that sort of oil painting look - depth of colours and whatnot. Even though it was a storm scene, so mainly blues, greys and greens.

It was the sort of picture where, a quick glance you would only see the 'normal' ship on the left hand side. The ghost ship would form out of the clouds, fog and mist, and loom[/i]

Who would have thought a picture would be so difficult to find? I've been looking pretty solidly since about 11am today. :(

Have you tried googling in other European languages? Der Fliegende Holländer in Google Images brings up 2,150 results.

is it a painting by turner, by any chance? like the slave ship or something?

I thought it was Turner's Slave Ship, but nope - it isn't.

Have you tried googling in other European languages? Der Fliegende Holländer in Google Images brings up 2,150 results.

Most of them Wagnerian, I expect ;)

I'm beginning to think I've dreamed the whole thing. But I'm absolutely certain the damned thing exists. Most frustrating.

Thanks Rave I now have something to occupy me at work :D I can spend my day looking for ships on Google.

Now you've got me looking as well.
Have you tried searching for types of ship?

I know where it'll be...on the same page as the Thunderbird picture....

MrRING said:

That's a good one. But, no - not the one I'm thinking of. :oops:

Sorry, peeps. I didn't mean to pass on my obsession :oops: Thanks ever so.

I promise I didn't imagine it.....at least....I really hope I didn't...... :?

hokum6 said:
Now you've got me looking as well.
Have you tried searching for types of ship?

Sorry :oops:

I don't think type of ships would help. The ghost ship as I remember was a galleon. The other ship could have been just about anything.....

I'm.....not helping much, am I?

Mr Ring, that first picture you posted is amazing, do you have any info on the artist / when it was painted?

Oops, I meant the one after it...
I can see why the surrealists liked it, Max Ernst was definitely coming from the same angle with some of his landscapes and frottage forests.

I can't access the last link you provided, Mr. RING, but I'm pretty sure it's not that one either. :(

sigh I guess I'll have to rely on the Cosmic Joker to throw it in my path at the least likely moment.

Thanks for looking.

I'm not getting my hopes up but I may have found it - problem is I have no link and no name.

It's on Karl Shuker's The UneXplained page 99.

There is a large rowing boat in the middle right of the picture with a large wave middle left and above the wave emerging from the cloud is a phantom ship.

It is given as being taken from the Mansell Collection but that doesn't throw up any extra information. I'll try and scan the picture in but it isn't that clear. :(

As the Mansell collection is now apparently owned by TimeLife, I had a look through their site and found two pictures (P.11, 53373461 & 53373505) which could be the ones you're after...

WhistlingJack said:
As the Mansell collection is now apparently owned by TimeLife, I had a look through their site and found two pictures (53373461 & 53373505) which could be the ones you're after...

Good call. Unfortunately neither of those are the piccie.

I should get off my arse (techncially stay on my arse) and scan this in ;)

OK here it is - I've scanned it in big and hopefully haven't lost too much image quality.

Now is the time someone points out that one has been suggested earlier :(

Anyway that's my best shot.

Nope, nope, and once again nope. :oops:

I'm really sorry. It's excruciatingly embarrasing having caused people to go to all this trouble. :oops:

It is, however, very very much appreciated.

Sorry, Emps.

I just wish I could find the damn thing. Or that somebody would find the damned thing. Rest assured, once found, there will be links and posts as quickly as humanly possible.

Back