• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help Requested

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I am currently improving my photography skills.

Eventually I am considering setting up a portfolio of photographs via Photoshop of a paranormal / haunted / Fortean theme. If nothing ever sells that wouldn't be a problem as I would love what I am photographing anyway. But it would be lovely if something did sell.

I am looking for advice and sources as to how I would go about looking into this further for future reference. I reckon that this could be a good place to ask.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

You may also need to do a bit of picture framing if you sell anything.
I've done a bit of that in the past (I used to paint a bit). Any questions, just ask.

Selling online or thinking of doing exhibitions? My other half is a professional photographer so I have some experience with helping merchandise photos but in a different field.

You may also need to do a bit of picture framing if you sell anything.
I've done a bit of that in the past (I used to paint a bit). Any questions, just ask.

Not OP but did you use glazing points Myth or did you use pins?

Not OP but did you use glazing points Myth or did you use pins?
Started out with panel pins but found the glazing points to be very useful. I even got some aluminium sheet and cut it into triangles, then used them to hold the picture in place. I've also done some small pictures by taping the backing sheet without pins or glazing points.

Yes, I prefer the glazing points too.

I am in the middle of restoring an old American-made glazing point driver which I picked up for virtually nothing. It was probably because there were a number of points stuck inside but I removed them in less than 5 minutes and it now works fine. But I don't have any spare points for it. I guess from your reference to making some from aluminium sheet you had a similar problem, but I wondered if you knew a good supplier. I have looked online but they tend to be rather large quantities.

Yes, I prefer the glazing points too.

I am in the middle of restoring an old American-made glazing point driver which I picked up for virtually nothing. It was probably because there were a number of points stuck inside but I removed them in less than 5 minutes and it now works fine. But I don't have any spare points for it. I guess from your reference to making some from aluminium sheet you had a similar problem, but I wondered if you knew a good supplier. I have looked online but they tend to be rather large quantities.
Amazon sell them or you can get them at some DIY places.
Hobbycraft sells a pack of 85 for £3.80.
I don't know if they're suitable for use with your glazing point driver. Is it a Pushmaster? I have a V-nail joiner made by them.

Thank you for your kind responses.

My initial thought was to sell the rights to use images, but am not adverse to the idea of selling physical prints.

My first action is to improve my photography skills. there are specific techniques that I want to improve upon. the beauty is that I would be doing something that I love. And if it didn't make any money I would stil lenhoy doing it.

Physical prints may be the way to go. People seem to value a real item they can hold more than a digital good. However if you are looking at licensing the photos then you will probably be looking at working with larger entities on a commercial basis rather than small sites like blogs as it will be difficult to get them to pay. That kind of commercial licensing is difficult and has small margins. Selling unusual prints may prove more profitable.

Can't help with photography, it's not my strong suit, but in terms of preparing images for print make sure you make them big, use a CMYK colour profile when editing and exporting (if using colour - it's designed for printing inks rather than screen display and has a different gamut. I.e. there are colours on your screen it's not possible to printed), and export them at high resolution (at least 300dpi) so they don't come out pixelated.

I'm lucky in that I am using a Fuji X100F as we like to travel. Although a fixed lens it has a one inch CMOS sensor and is 24.6 megapixels. I always save my images in raw format.

Back