• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help Requested

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
*drum roll* LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! ... OK, I'll cut the crap and get to the point ..

A good friend of mine has just asked my opinion on his new website .. he's a working magician, I've been on ghost investigations with him and he wants to sex up his site (my opinion, not his, he asked my honest opinion and I think it needs more excitement, mystery, magic image wise ) .. a magician's website should pop and sparkle and should not have dark green IMO .. does anyone reading feel like helping out and pimping his site? .. you'd be doing it for personal satisfaction and for free? (until he's a millionaire that is, he's not David Blaine rich yet) .. he's wicked at card tricks btw .. (please send me a pm)

https://robert-rathbone-magician.ma...Ie28LLd5Zt7xoQ1RUgNVvOS0DUV5vLj6Z7Azb5ajFV6gE

A suggestion is two or three short videos of him performing tricks.
Between 20 seconds and 1 minutes running time each.

For the sake of data protection etc probably best if it is just him performing to camera, wearing his suit and bow tie.

Otherwise looks a clear easy to navigate website, but he has spelled "cater" wrongly.

In general I think the website covers all the basics well enough, though not in a spectacular fashion. Here are some review comments (which are all I can offer, FWIW) ...

MAIN / HOME PAGE:

The main title should include his name (Robert Rathbone).

I agree about the "cater" misspelling.

The "Special Offer" bit seems to be a year out of date.

The "Contact Robert" bit on the main / home page needs to be reformatted so as to prevent the URL from wrapping onto multiple lines.

I find it curious that the topmost photo on his home page shows him holding up a Canadian flag. Would some visitors misinterpret this to mean he's in Canada?

SERVICES PAGE:

I'd crop the photo used at the top to eliminate the apparently bored woman in the red dress.

Under "Birthday Party Entertainment" the first sentence is confusing as a question.

All four subsections should be formatted like the first one (a blank line between the two sentences).

I'd shrink all the photos and the font sizes.

I'd use a better photo alongside the Paul Daniels Magic Lecture section - one that shows Robert speaking (e.g., see photo on the Home Page) rather than gaping, and one that shows him with eyeglasses like all the other pics.

TESTIMONIALS PAGE:

Top (header) photo is too big.

I'd lose the Facebook hot-link on the "Marie Hutchins" entry. If you want to link to her (?) on Facebook, use a text hot-link that explains where it's leading you.

CONTACT PAGE:

I'm not sure this page is necessary at all. There are Contact buttons at the top and bottom of all other pages, and all of them lead to the resident email app.

The phrasing and coherent formatting of the "Contact Us" bit would work well on the Home Page.

ALL PAGES:

Generally speaking, all the text and photos could be reduced in size to make a more compact and professional-looking website.

The photos within the main body of the webpages could be as small as the ones in the "Gallery" section on the main page, but no smaller.

The header / masthead graphic (stage with red curtain) could stand to be reduced in size as well.

I'd suggest swapping the green background for either a darker shade or simply black. I'd go with black, so as to avoid any clashing with the diversity of colors in the photos.

The "Contact" button inside the main masthead picture(on 3 pages) is redundant. There's an identical button in the header above the picture. I'd delete the one within the picture (all pages).

The "Follow Robert" bit in the footer of every page:

"Stay up to date with what Robert is up to search for:"

... is ungrammatical and needs to be rephrased. Visitors aren't being advised to search; they're being provided two specific / direct URLs.

The Facebook and Instagram URLs in the footer should be hot-linked so visitors can simply click on them to visit those outboard pages.

Hope this is helpful ....

Last edited:
In general I think the website covers all the basics well enough, though not in a spectacular fashion. Here are some review comments (which are all I can offer, FWIW) ...

MAIN / HOME PAGE:

The main title should include his name (Robert Rathbone).

I agree about the "cater" misspelling.

The "Special Offer" bit seems to be a year out of date.

The "Contact Robert" bit on the main / home page needs to be reformatted so as to prevent the URL from wrapping onto multiple lines.

I find it curious that the topmost photo on his home page shows him holding up a Canadian flag. Would some visitors misinterpret this to mean he's in Canada?

SERVICES PAGE:

I'd crop the photo used at the top to eliminate the apparently bored woman in the red dress.

Under "Birthday Party Entertainment" the first sentence is confusing as a question.

All four subsections should be formatted like the first one (a blank line between the two sentences).

I'd shrink all the photos and the font sizes.

I'd use a better photo alongside the Paul Daniels Magic Lecture section - one that shows Robert speaking (e.g., see photo on the Home Page) rather than gaping, and one that shows him with eyeglasses like all the other pics.

TESTIMONIALS PAGE:

Top (header) photo is too big.

I'd lose the Facebook hot-link on the "Marie Hutchins" entryt. If you want to link to her (?) on Facebook, use a text hot-link that explains where it's leading you.

CONTACT PAGE:

I'm not sure this page is necessary at all. There are Contact buttons at the top and bottom of all other pages, and all of them lead to the resident email app.

The phrasing and coherent formatting of the "Contact Us" bit would work well on the Home Page.

ALL PAGES:

Generally speaking, all the text and photos could be reduced in size to make a more compact and professional-looking website.

The photos within the main body of the webpages could be as small as the ones in the "Gallery" section on the main page, but no smaller.

The header / masthead graphic (stage with red curtain) could stand to be reduced in size as well.

I'd suggest swapping the green background for either a darker shade or simply black. I'd go with black, so as to avoid any clashing with the diversity of colors in the photos.

The "Contact" button inside the main masthead picture(on 3 pages) is redundant. There's an identical button in the header above the picture. I'd delete the one within the picture (all pages).

The "Follow Robert" bit in the footer of every page:

"Stay up to date with what Robert is up to search for:"

... is ungrammatical and needs to be rephrased. Visitors aren't being advised to search; they're being provided two specific / direct URLs.

The Facebook and Instagram URLs in the footer should be hot-linked so visitors can simply click on them to visit those outboard pages.

Hope this is helpful ....
Thanks Enola .. I've sent him the link to this thread so he can check people's suggestions, we identified that date discrepancy last night, your other observations and suggestions are gratefully received mate, thank you very much.

A suggestion is two or three short videos of him performing tricks.
Between 20 seconds and 1 minutes running time each.

For the sake of data protection etc probably best if it is just him performing to camera, wearing his suit and bow tie.

Otherwise looks a clear easy to navigate website, but he has spelled "cater" wrongly.
Thank you Victory, I've let him know about your feedback.

It's a perfectly adequate website. I'd second Victory's comments about adding short videos.

My suggestion would be to spend a few dollars and buy an actual domain name. It's far more professional than using a Mailchimp sub domain.
I'm sure there would be a way to point an actual domain to the already created website.
Alternatively, take a look at other web builder type services which offer a drop & drag option. A quick look at Wix for example shows me that they even have a Magicians template ready to go which looks pretty good. A little tinkering and it'd look great:

https://www.wix.com/website-template/view/html/1438

Last edited:
Back