• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

rynner2 said:
rynner2 said:
Well? (Taps foot impatiently...)

Of course, if multiple threads on exactly the same subject are OK, I'll go and start a few more! We'll swamp the MB with Swine Flu....! :twisted:
They may be ostensibly about the same disease, as a subject, but the two Threads actually address quite different issues. The actual disease itself, as a news issue, in the first and worries concerning the disease, in the other. These may not necessarily be the same thing.

I considered whether to merge the two, the other day, but I decided to leave them as they stood, at least for the present. Best not to be too hasty.

Others may disagree.

P_M :)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
They may be ostensibly about the same disease, as a subject, but the two Threads actually address quite different issues. The actual disease itself, as a news issue, in the first and worries concerning the disease, in the other. These may not necessarily be the same thing.
But people have already discussed their own worries (or dismissed those of other people), in the first thread.

That's how a MB is supposed to work - people post stories, and also post comments about the stories. It seems daft to do this in different threads.

So, I wonder how many new swine flu threads I can start before you catch up with me...? ;)

rynner2 said:

So, I wonder how many new swine flu threads I can start before you catch up with me...? ;)
Of course, as a former Mod yourself, you probably realise that such wilful provocation would quite possibly count as spamming?

;)

Spamming? So is starting new threads on an existing topic, I'd 'a thought...

Perhaps you should have a word with the starter of the second thread, a relative newby, and explain the usual protocol here.

(The second thread has also repeated ideas from the first, an unneccessary redundancy, I feel.)

Indeed! I think I'll start a : Swine Flu and the Irish Question thread.

Oh, thanks, Timble, you beat me to it.

FWIW, I would suggest that yours is the better title for any merged thread!

oddblackmore is spamming the forums.

rynner2 said:
We already have Bees
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26363

and now we have
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38665

(And since both threads start by quoting Einstein, it seems they're singing from the same hymn sheet! 8) )

On reflection, I don't agree: the first thread is a repository for any and all stories concerning bees, while the second specifically addresses their current decline in numbers. If the thread deviates into a general discussion on bees, then I'll split or merge it but until then, I'll leave it be (ho, ho).

rynner2 said:
WhistlingJack said:
rynner2 said:

On reflection, I don't agree: the first thread is a repository for any and all stories concerning bees, while the second specifically addresses their current decline in numbers. If the thread deviates into a general discussion on bees, then I'll split or merge it but until then, I'll leave it be (ho, ho).
"the first thread is a repository for any and all stories concerning bees, while the second specifically addresses their current decline in numbers."
Really? I've just skimmed the first three pages of Bees, and most of the posts are about colony collape and disappearing bees.

A glance at the first page of the 'Bees' thread reveals posts about bees setting off the fire alarm on a plane; the negative effects of phone masts on birds; the infertility of birds and humans; the surprisingly low numbers of squashed insects on car numberplates; and how your former self saw a hedgehog for the first time in years - hardly the focused discussion the newer thread has the potential to be...

Some interesting points made in this post, but not sure it merits a new thread, when there's Dawkins chat a-plenty elsewhere.

theyithian said:
Candidate for a move to chat:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 103#909103

Unless the PC-Police get there first.

Done
_police__revamp_by_humpy77.gif

Back