• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
-
source.gif
Wow couldn't think who that was for a minute. Tony Todd, good actor. Should watch the film.

While tidying out my (massive) attic space two years ago, I realised one of the rooms had a false ceiling ( Victorian - very kindly dated to 1892) looking outside there is a space around 6foot High and 18ft by 12ft in area. I meant to break into it but the pandemic and other things have got in the way. Am hoping for many treasures when I finally do!

While tidying out my (massive) attic space two years ago, I realised one of the rooms had a false ceiling ( Victorian - very kindly dated to 1892) looking outside there is a space around 6foot High and 18ft by 12ft in area. I meant to break into it but the pandemic and other things have got in the way. Am hoping for many treasures when I finally do!

While tidying out my (massive) attic space two years ago, I realised one of the rooms had a false ceiling ( Victorian - very kindly dated to 1892) looking outside there is a space around 6foot High and 18ft by 12ft in area.

Don't forget to put candles in all the windows and see which windows are still dark.... /Glamis

You have to wonder why what looks like a full-sized hidden apartment can exist in a building in New York of all places.
I'd think this was a hoax if I hadn't seen it in the Guardian first.

A New York Renter discovers an entire apartment behind her bathroom mirror of her new apartment. The woman always felt cold air blowing in her room so he tried to find the source of it. And to her surprise she found that the air is coming from the mirror and later the woman discoverd that there is an entire apartment behind the mirror. Watch what's in the room.

Spoiler: there's nothing much in there except a few bags of rubbish.

Do be careful. A false ceiling isn't the same as a floor! o_O
It might not be weight-bearing.

You have to wonder why what looks like a full-sized hidden apartment can exist in a building in New York of all places.

Spoiler: there's nothing much in there except a few bags of rubbish.

The landlord or building owner has some explaining to do.
That looks like it was set up for spying on them. It's even possible that it's a see-through mirror.

Oh! I wish you many adventures.
There'll be adventures!
netflix-to-make-narnia-movies-tv-show.jpg

It's an odd story, to be sure! The Guardian - and many others - picked it up from a series of TikTok videos, posted by the lady herself, on that one-minute video-sharing platform.

Suspense was built into the experience, crafted in one-minute chunks. Coming at a time when many people feel confined . . .

Taken at face value, we are bound to wonder why she did not, quietly, make good use of the unexpected expansion to her flat, once she had shut off the open windows, which seem to have caused the draught?

I like the idea, however. I have recurring dreams of discovering sinister new/old rooms in my house. They never seem useful, either! :(

I like the idea, however. I have recurring dreams of discovering sinister new/old rooms in my house. They never seem useful, either! :(

My recurring dream is of a big empty rambling house that seems to be mine, where I wander around looking through dusty windows and come across various tucked-away stairways and hidden rooms.

Reminds me of the time when I worked for Liberty's of London - decades ago. There was always the rumour that there was a tunnel from the store to the Palladium theatre. Dunno why.
The rumour became an open secret when workmen were doing some building work in one of the basement departments opened a bricked archway ... to see a dusty, rubble-strewn tunnel heading north, towards the theatre. The walls were decorated with blue ceramic tiles, that looked like Wedgewood.
My fiancée at the time was one of the staff who peered into the tunnel.

Reminds me of the time when I worked for Liberty's of London - decades ago. There was always the rumour that there was a tunnel from the store to the Palladium theatre. Dunno why.
The rumour became an open secret when workmen were doing some building work in one of the basement departments opened a bricked archway ... to see a dusty, rubble-strewn tunnel heading north, towards the theatre. The walls were decorated with blue ceramic tiles, that looked like Wedgewood.
My fiancée at the time was one of the staff who peered into the tunnel.
Maybe the founder of Liberty was rather fond of visiting the theatre after work?

My recurring dream is of a big empty rambling house that seems to be mine, where I wander around looking through dusty windows and come across various tucked-away stairways and hidden rooms.

I get these quite a lot. It's always some apartment or another (almost random, though I have had the same/similar apartments in different dreams, to the point where I know which door goes where) and I'll open a closet door to find that there's a huge hidden room behind it. Sometimes it's a closet with a door inside that goes to the hidden room.

Typically I react to this by saying to myself, "Okay, well, I'll sleep in this one and use the other for an office/study."

Then I wake up. :(

Edit: I need a bigger apartment in real life.

It's an odd story, to be sure! The Guardian - and many others - picked it up from a series of TikTok videos, posted by the lady herself, on that one-minute video-sharing platform.

Taken at face value, we are bound to wonder why she did not, quietly, make good use of the unexpected expansion to her flat, once she had shut off the open windows, which seem to have caused the draught?

Yes, certainly is a bit odd, but as she was renting, probably not a good idea to knock a hole in the wall for access - a sure fire way to lose your deposit at least.

If it was part of the flat she's renting, makes you wonder why the owner or leaseholder had blocked it off, decreasing rental value.

My friend lives in a house converted into flats which for some reason has one room below hers not included in the leases of any of them. All the flat owners know about it, the mystery is why.

I think (and I don't know how this works 'cross the pond) that they may not want to pay for taxes on square-footage they're not using. I'm guessing that the cost of upgrading it to livable conditions is more than they would save in taxes for not declaring the extra sq. footage.

I think (and I don't know how this works 'cross the pond) that they may not want to pay for taxes on square-footage they're not using. I'm guessing that the cost of upgrading it to livable conditions is more than they would save in taxes for not declaring the extra sq. footage.

That's similar to what I've been thinking ... It may be that leaving some space undeveloped for residential rentals satisfied some condition or constraint induced by legal or regulatory (as well as tax or accounting) matters. For example, leaving some space undeveloped may allow the building to be categorized as 'mixed use', resulting in some sort of advantage.

In the case of hunck's friend's apartment house (above) one simple explanation would be that the landlord reserved a room for on-site storage or maintenance usage.

I only watched the video one time through, but it seems obvious to me that there was some sort of renovation begun and then abandoned for some reason. It's not unfinished space, but the sort of thing I am used to seeing in insurance jobs and such. Could be the place was trashed by some nitwit tenants or something, and some serious and very expensive-to-fix problem was uncovered. Really it could be lots of things.

It would be interesting to know something more about the building, such as age, how many times it has changed hands, and so on. It's entirely possible the current owner was unaware of the "extra" apartment, dumb as that may seem. Weird story though.

I only watched the video one time through, but it seems obvious to me that there was some sort of renovation begun and then abandoned for some reason. It's not unfinished space, but the sort of thing I am used to seeing in insurance jobs and such.
It may be that leaving some space undeveloped for residential rentals satisfied some condition or constraint induced by legal or regulatory (as well as tax or accounting) matters. For example, leaving some space undeveloped may allow the building to be categorized as 'mixed use', resulting in some sort of advantage.
These ideas make complete sense to me, but at the same time, I have to wonder why in this instance there was a hole in the wall behind the mirror, rather than no hole or some boarded up doorway in a closet or something. The mirror does not look like it's possible to see through from the other side. The hole was obviously not meant as an easy access point!

The un-leased room could just be for the landlord to use as storage.

The surprise beyond the bathroom mirror just reminds me of the old* ad where a man opens his medicine chest, and sees a chubby stranger greet
him from the side of his own medicine chest. "Hi, Guy!"
*1971. By cracky, I'm oldish.

Or in The Monkees' movie Head, where Davy Jones opens his bathroom cabinet to find a huge eye staring at him.

Illinois man finds 19th-century tunnel under his new(ish) home.

"An Illinois couple who moved into their home in December made a surprising discovery while repairing their sidewalk -- a 19th-century tunnel underneath the house.

Gary and Beth Machens said they moved into their Alton home in December and recently decided to repair a section of sidewalk that had started to slope.

Gary Machens said he had to remove part of a stone wall on the sidewalk to make the repairs, and he then discovered the entryway to a tunnel.

"He called me at work and said, 'You better get home; you're not going to believe what I just found,'" Beth Machens told the Alton Telegraph.

The couple said the tunnel is about 9 feet high and at least 60 feet deep.

Local historians estimated the tunnel was created in 1840, 50 years before the house was built, but they do not know the original purpose of the underground structure...
"

From: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-under-house-Gary-Beth-Machens/3851618344924/

Illinois man finds 19th-century tunnel under his new(ish) home.

"An Illinois couple who moved into their home in December made a surprising discovery while repairing their sidewalk -- a 19th-century tunnel underneath the house.

Gary and Beth Machens said they moved into their Alton home in December and recently decided to repair a section of sidewalk that had started to slope.

Gary Machens said he had to remove part of a stone wall on the sidewalk to make the repairs, and he then discovered the entryway to a tunnel.

"He called me at work and said, 'You better get home; you're not going to believe what I just found,'" Beth Machens told the Alton Telegraph.

The couple said the tunnel is about 9 feet high and at least 60 feet deep.

Local historians estimated the tunnel was created in 1840, 50 years before the house was built, but they do not know the original purpose of the underground structure...
"

From: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-under-house-Gary-Beth-Machens/3851618344924/

The walls look remarkably clean.

Back