• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

High Beech

Dick Turpin

Justified & Ancient
There is a place on the outskirts of the eastern side of London called High Beech, it’s the only settlement inside Epping Forest and despite the area being only 11 miles or so from central London, it is very rural.

It’s well known to the people of East London and south west Essex, for ancient legends, folk stories and tales of witchcraft, it also has a reputation for the burials of gangland murders.

There is the famous Hangman’s hill, in which if you park your car at the bottom of the hill, switch off the engine and take off the handbrake, the car will roll upwards to the top of the hill, where a gallows tree was said to have once stood - I have personal experience of this and it does work, it’s quite good fun, however if you get out of the car and walk up the hill, you can feel your legs walking down, so it’s an optical illusion sadly.

Anyway, I once knew a guy who told me a story about High Beech, which he swore was true, and that happened to his sister and brother in law, although I always thought there was an U/L ring to the tale.

Many years ago, the Sister and brother in law were driving through the back country lanes of High Beech, on their way home from somewhere or other, it was a weekend afternoon and bright and sunny.

In the vicinity of the rural parish Church, they both felt and heard the car hitting something quite large and solid, although nothing was seen by either. Of course the Brother in Law gets out and checks, but could see nothing under the car, nor in the undergrowth by the sides of the road.

They are both certain they had hit something, and something larger than a forest animal, so when they get home the BIL decides to call the local police station to where the incident occurred, he gets through and is told by the desk Sargent that that’s the third report this month, of cars hitting unseen objects on that stretch of road, and when the passengers get out to check they can find nothing.

In fact reading that back, that sounds like a big time U/L

A few miles from here there's a stretch of 'haunted road' where people run 'something' over.

A bloke who had this happen to him told me that he and his friends ran over a man walking a dog on that road. He stopped and they all jumped out and searched for the bodies - no trace.

They carried on, a bit spooked, and when on way back they again ran over the identical dog walker and pet in the same spot they sped up and carried on home.

That’s very Interesting Escargot, and where would that road be..? ( so I can I’ll always give it a wide berth if ever in the area )

That’s very Interesting Escargot, and where would that road be..? ( so I can I’ll always give it a wide berth if ever in the area )
It's north of Winsford in Cheshire.

Back