• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Highgate Cemetery

I love Highgate Cemetery.
My dad took my mum there to see Karl Marx's tomb , before they were married. (No, she wasn't impressed, it wasn't her idea of a date!)

I went about ten years ago with my son and loved it -I'd like my ashes to be buried there when I die, if there's still room and if it's not prohibitively expensive.

I love Highgate Cemetery.
My dad took my mum there to see Karl Marx's tomb , before they were married. (No, she wasn't impressed, it wasn't her idea of a date!)

I went about ten years ago with my son and loved it -I'd like my ashes to be buried there when I die, if there's still room and if it's not prohibitively expensive.

It's worth mentioning - because looking back through to the start of the thread I think there might be some confusion, and in my recent posts, I didn't make clear what side I was talking about - that the cemetery is effectively split into two sections by Swain's Lane, both of which sections are kind of self-contained.

My trip was to the western section. I'm pretty sure that - back before it was effectively rescued - the east was always more accessible and easier to visit than the west (which was effectively shut down for a long while - with access heavily monitored, at least to start with, once it finally did reopen). They are both very much worth visiting, but the western side is the more dramatic - and the one to which most of the woo seems to be associated.

If you go there, DON'T mention ghosts - the curators and staff take a very dim view of spooks and don't allow ghost hunts in there...

I'm sure that ghost hunts will still be a no-no, but I overheard one official guide telling her party about the vampire thing - so I'm guessing they are less po-faced about the general subject these days.

I’ve always been interested in the way our direct physical environment might affect our psychology, and the possibility that concrete realities may act on us in such a way as to create a sense of the weird and the eerie, possibly thereby making us more susceptible to the suggestion of supernatural agency.

As I said in the last post – Highgate Cemetery seems very atmospheric to me, but maybe no more inherently weird than any other place we dispose of our dead. Oddly, it’s Swain’s Lane - the public road running up the east side of the western section – that pushes my weird buttons.

For London at least, it’s really quite steep. It’s also narrow, and the cemetery wall abuts directly the road edge, there being no path on that side, which, again ‘feels’ kind of odd, and a maybe a little bit oppressive; it’s quite easy – walking up the lane towards Highgate - to find yourself thinking it might have been designed to keep something in, rather than keep the wanderer out.

It strikes me that Swain’s Lane itself – the actual road, rather than the general area - is also the actual locus of several sightings that are attributed to Highgate Cemetery – and it makes me wonder if the lane had a haunted reputation before the cemetery, or even if the lane itself has been the haunted place all along, and the burial ground just stole its thunder.

The cemetery is built on the grounds of the old Ashurst House, and I think - from checking out a couple of old maps - the line of the wall has been around since that time. And possibly even parts of the original wall remain.

Swains Lane.jpg

Even if you took the site away from the context of its famous neighbour - the steepness, the narrowness, that close set high wall - I wonder if that all might trigger some sort of atavistic response in the night-time traveller that makes them prone to having the wits scared out of them.

Back