• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

This is precisely the point I have long attempted to illustrate re our triangular-shaped UFOs.

Time after time, we have accounts of similar experiences, where the objects act like wasps - they seem to actually show a interest in the observer and come closer for another go!
Those are great triangle cases you've posted! I'll bet you also have Marler's book, too. I have that at my work and I did look through it, but it has been a while.
41lBSCl2lcL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'll bet you also have bet you also have Marler's book, too.
I wasn't even aware of it.

So it's not just me then? :twothumbs: Fantastic, I am naturally following this up - that's a revelation and will be a fascinating read.

The point I was simply trying to emphasise is how many 'arguably somewhat similar' accounts we have and they date back mid 1960s.

These are only newspaper reports found under a brief, speculative, search for 'triangular ufo' up until early 1980s - no search for articles containing ''triangular shaped', or 'triangle shaped', etc.

Also, only of course accounts which made the newspapers and added together with the reasonably considerable - in my opinion - other testimonials, perhaps indicative of a genuine, 'relatively consistent ' enigma.

They are all, of course, open to interpretation and hence the necessary single quotation marks.

Before leaving this tangent, there is one other newspaper report under 'triangular ufo', which caught my attention, as there seemed to be corroborated radar tracking of an unidentified flying object.

It's from the 'Sandusky Register', March 28, 1966:

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_601.jpg

[Edit: I have replaced the above with a more legible copy of essentially the same report, as published by the 'Redlands Daily Facts']

Last edited:
^ Wow! This looks good --he is going to bring out a witness!!
And he is comparing them to the 1561 events in Nuremburg! As I have too.
Wow. Great presentation. I think the larger saucer objects in formation in the photo are releasinns thg the smaller objects and those perhaps formed the formations that were seen.

Last edited:
This article was posted by Karl 12 (very knowledgeable) over at alienexpanse. VERY interesting in light of the situation today, and Keyhoe's claims, etc. Crazy stuff.

fe600d5a0b (1).png

Roscoe_H._Hillenkoetter_%281957%29.jpg

1st Director of the CIA (1947-1950)
"It is time for the truth to be brought out....Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officials are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe the unknown flying objects are nonsense....I urge immediate Congressional action to reduce the dangers from secrecy about Unidentified Flying Objects."
Hillenkoetter, Roscoe; "Aliens from Space", Major Donald E. Keyhoe, 1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_H._Hillenkoetter
Roscoe Henry Hillenkoetter (May 8, 1897 – June 18, 1982) was the third director of the post–World War II United States Central Intelligence Group (CIG), the third Director of Central Intelligence (DCI), and the first director of the Central Intelligence Agency created by the National Security Act of 1947. He served as DCI and director of the CIG and the CIA from May 1, 1947, to October 7, 1950, and, after his retirement from the United States Navy, was a member of the board of governors of National Investigations Committee On Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) from 1957 to 1962.

Overton_Brooks.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_Brooks#1950
Brooks served on the U.S. House Committee on Armed Services from 1947 to 1958, and he then became the first chairman of the newly formed House Space Committee (later Science and Astronautics), reportedly because his seniority entitled him to a more important post on Armed Services than he was considered capable of handling. He was reappointed in 1961. It was Brooks who proposed a civilian, rather than military, space program. On May 4, 1961, his committee sent a memo to then Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson on this subject. U.S. President John F. Kennedy's speech which prompted the development of the Apollo program was delivered a few weeks later.

Last edited:
Here is Marler presenting about the Farmington event:
It really is a good presentation and the Farmington sightings are intriguing. The "formation" photo looks like a poor mock up. If it was meant
to lend credence to the Farmington cases it does the opposite in my opinion. The most obvious thing in the light appears to be coming from different directions on the objects - as if someone has cut and pasted them onto the background of the clouds, but not taken that into account.

An interesting thing about the photo is that if you adjust the contrast, you can see more spherical objects hidden in the clouds, that are masked by them and hard to see. So apparently there were at least two photos taken, and the objects have moved and clouds changed slightly in the second. I always thought that perhaps the photo survived because it was sent abroad and perhaps escaped confiscation and was published before much could be done.

From Felix Zigel:

"These UFOs have been seen all over the USSR; the craft of every possible shape, small, large, flattened, spherical. They are able to remain stationary in the atmosphere or shoot along at 100,000 kilometers per hour. They move without producing the slightest sound, by creating around themselves a pneumatic vacuum that protects them from burning up in our stratosphere. Their craft have the mysterious capacity to vanish and reappear at will. Besides, they are able to affect our power resources, putting to a halt our electricity-generating plants, our radio stations, and our engines, without, however, leaving any permanent damage. So refined a technology can only be the fruit of an intelligence that is indeed far superior to ours.[1]"

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...RFNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IkgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7098,4541412

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Ziegel

1965:
The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search
"viewed through 8-power binoculars, the star appeared as a small flat spot"
"Sometimes the crescent is preceded and flanked by what appear to be first-magnitude stars which keep a constant distance from the crescent"

1902:
Richmond dispatch. (Richmond, Va.) 1884-1903, August 19, 1902, Page 1, Image 1
"was only a shapeless spot of light"
"crown of gold over which twinkled a star of unusual proportions"

Yep.
Gimme an "A"!...Gimme an "L"!... :-D
DwOWRO3emz-11.png

https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2013/12-9/DwOWRO3emz-11.png

A case maybe some have heard mention of and this seems to be an original report, from the 'Tucson Citizen', 14 March, 1981:

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_901.jpg
Great article!! And UFOs apparently scanning smelters and hanging around mines is also a "Thing"
Here is the illustration of the UFO in that article you posted (see below). The white light at the front is where the beam came from, I think. The red lights on the "wings"; one of those took off and came back; similar things have also been reported from police on the ground during the triangle sighting wave in Belgium.

Here is the APRO Bulletin with an article on it. Amazing:
http://ufohistoryfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/306C.pdf

Excerpt:

"On the evening of October 23rd, 1980, one of the most well-witnessed UFO sightings in history took place in the little mining town of Morenci, Arizona . Located on US 666, it is about 20 miles northeast of Safford, Arizona, which is. on Interstate 10 in southeastern Arizona. Morenci is a typical Arizona copper mining town and the site of two huge copper smelters which are owned and operated by Phelps-Dodge Corporation. APRO's investigator on this case was Jim McCoy who did in-depth interviews with five of the witnesses. There were a host of other witnesses and hopefully they can be interviewed at a later date . However, inasmuch as the five men observed the object at relatively close range, their testimony is central to the facts in the case. Randell Rogers and Larry Mortensen, both employees at Phelps-Dodge, left their work area at 8:55 p.m. to proceed to the lunch area for the evening "break." They entered an open type of vehicle (no cab) and enroute to the lunch area they stopped and picked up Joe Nevarez , Kent David and James Best. (Please see illustrations which accompany theis text.) After starting the vehicle up again, they noticed an object approaching from the north at an altitude of approximately 1500 to 2000 feet and Nevarez exclaimed, " Hey, you guys, look at the flying saucer!" One or two of the others remarked that " it" was just an airplane and laughed. Nevarez then demanded that the vehicle be stopped so that he could get a better look at the object. When the vehicle was brought to a stop and the men looked up, they were amazed to see a boomerangshaped object approaching the north smoke stack of the smelter area at a very low speed which they later told Mr. McCoy that they estimated to be about five miles per hour. When it arrived at a position directly over the north stack, it stopped and hovered for a minute or so, then came straight down vertically to an estimated altitude of about 700 to 1,000 feet , not far above the stack. After a brief period of time a brillant light erupted from the forward apex of the boomerang configuration and shone directly down into the interior of the north smelter stack. The witnesses described this light as brighter than a search light or that of an arc light...."

Smelterpic1.jpg

And another smelter case:
Chanute Weekly Tribune
(Chanute, Kansas)
27 Apr 1917, Fri • Page 1

smelter2article.jpg

Over a mine in Africa, 1957:

1957mineafrica.jpg

Last edited:
A case near a copper mine in Chile:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-report-UFO-spotted-remote-copper-mine.html

"The Committee for the Studies of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena (CEFAA), part of Chile's Ministerial Department of Civil Aeronautics, studied photographs of the object after it was spotted by four engineers above a remote copper mine.
According to the report, the engineers described the object as 'a flattened disc of brilliant colour with a diameter of 5 to 10 metres [16 to 32 feet]. It performed ascending, descending and horizontal movements in short lengths, about 600 meters above the ground."

article-2684713-1F79ADB200000578-798_634x477.jpg

article-2684713-1F79AD4400000578-167_634x411.jpg

Last edited:
And UFOs apparently scanning smelters and hanging around mines is also a "Thing"...
That's awesome thread material... Never thought about this aspect before.

Guess there should also be reports about UFOs over nuclear facilities?

Hang on, that rings a bell...

:rup:

There a couple of articles in this thread including declassified material from the CIA, iirc, that states that they have been over every military base and installation in the country. The monitoring of nuclear testing at White Sands and monitoring of missile installations, and nuclear-armed ships is a large part of the surveillance.

Back