• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

The Missoulian (Missoula, Montana), 20 Jan 1979:
Malmstrom.jpg

I felt compelled to rejoin newpapers.com again and ran into this.
I LOVE it. Excellent UFO sighting from 1898. AMAZING.
Spokane Chronicle (Spokane, Washington) 08 Oct 1898, Sat. Page 2
'Twas a Sternenschiff! :pipe: Substitute "UFO" for "Air-ship". Same thing.

AWasitanAirship.jpg

Last edited:
The Park City Daily News (Bowling Green, Kentucky) 30 Oct 1944, Mon

ABlackBalls.jpg

This is most likely a mentally ill individual, but I include it because of the "dark objects" and it just bizarre anyway:
St Louis Globe Democrat Sun May 3, 1903:

DarkObjectsReligious.jpg

Jets left in the dust.. by... Pie Plates!
Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, New Mexico)03 Aug 1952, Sunday:

pieplates.jpg

More planes being left in dust by objects that go straight up into space:
Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, New Mexico)03 Aug 1952, Sunday:
Jetsdust.jpg

crowded1.jpg

crowded2.jpg

Last edited:
There are so many amazing things in this article that I had to post it whole. Small Triangles too. Amazing.
Rushville Republican (Rushville, Indiana) 02 Oct 1968, Wednesday:

areasightings1.jpg

area2.jpg

area3.jpg

area4.jpg

area5.jpg
area6.jpg

area7.jpg

Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York)25 Jul 1965, Sunday

SomethingNunda.jpg

The Courier-Tribune (Callaway, Nebraska)10 Mar 1905, Friday.
I think this lady got a look at an "airship":

canoeUFO.jpg

Fun!
Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California)17 Jan 1957, Thursday:

MissileChief.jpg

Hartford Courant (Hartford, Connecticut)17 Jan 1967, Tuesday, Page 46
A really good one. Multiple witnesses. Hanging out by lines like Woonsocket craft. How many of these sightings are there?! It seem to never end; it feels like I am flogging the dead horse's skeleton to dust, these days.

UFOGranbyPowerLines.jpg

The Dispatch (Moline, Illinois)11 Sep 1951, Tuesday
Just wow.
I actually think that I have seen a civilian report of this chase! I will look for it..

Sandyhook1.jpg

Here is the Sandy Hook event I was thinking of. TRIANGLES actually, but the year before. Same thing with the jets though..

Occurred : 10/15/1950 15:00 (Entered as : 10/?/50 15:00)
Reported: 8/22/2006 7:39:35 AM 07:39
Posted: 10/30/2006
Shape: Triangle
Duration:5 minutes
Triangles over New York Harbor 1950
http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/052/S52110.html

My grand mother had taken me to Atlantic Highlands over looking Sandy Hook and New York Harbor. It was cold that day, I was 8 years old at the time.

We had stopped at a little snack bar about half way up the road and she got a cup of coffee, I don't remeber what I had.

We drove to the top and parked on the overlook. She was still driving her green 47 Chevy, she left the engine running and the heater on.

We noticed two triangle shaped objects comming down the Hudson from the direction of the George Washington Bridge they seemed to be at an altitude lower than us. They came very close, perhaps 1/4 mile or closer. We were looking down on them they were above the water perhaps 300-400 feet. As they passed the Chevy stalled and the Heater blower also stopped. The Blower started running when they were some distance out to sea. About two minutes later two aircraft that I think they were F-80's they had wing tanks.

Shortly there after the two objects flew past and up the Harbor toward the George Whashington Bridge at a high rate of speed the two F-80 were close behind. The objects appeared to be playing with the jets. They slowed down and sped up a couple of times turned sharply and headed out to sea over Coney Island.

My Grandmother died in 1966, I am now 63 years old I know what we saw was real.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. We have assigned an arbitrary date in October 1950. PD))

Jets are silly things...

Tucson Citizen (Tucson, Arizona)03 Oct 1957, Thursday

JetsRoundObject.jpg

Poughkeepsie Journal (Poughkeepsie, New York)10 Sep 1957, Tuesday
Ground Observer possibly sees angel hair falling.

GroundObserverUFO.jpg

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, Missouri)24 Jul 1952, Thursday

JetshydroformingUFO.jpg

I think this is the famous "Snippy" case.
The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Washington)06 Oct 1967, Friday

Snippy.jpg

What the?.. :oops:
Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas)23 May 1955, Monday

Wreckage.jpg

The writer of the story died mysteriously:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Kilgallen#Death

"In some cases, he must speculate about the document itself. Such was the case with the Speriglio document, originating not from FOIPA but with the author of The Marilyn Conspiracy and Crypt 33: The Saga of Marilyn Monroe. The Speriglio document holds forth that newspaper columnist Dorothy Kilgallen received word that JFK took Marilyn Monroe to a desert base "for the purpose of inspecting things from outer space."

Redfern:
http://www.umsl.edu/~thomaskp/offline3.htm

Last edited:
Some things never really change. Fully 70 years later the same questions are being asked. I am sure the answer is known by now.

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Thursday 28 December 1950, page 6
where1.jpg

where2.jpg

where3.jpg

where4.jpg

Attachments

• where5.jpg
    where5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 13
On left: Police officer's photo of UFO, taken in WI in 1978, just flipped horizontally:
Police officer observes and photographs disc in Colfax, Wisconsin

On Right: Photo of one of the objects over the stadium in Florence, taken in 1954:
The day UFOs stopped play

Freaking Identical.

Colfax.jpg
florencethumbnail.jpg

I've compared these two images online with this tool, and 10% "fuzz":
https://online-image-comparison.com/
The red area is the area where there is no similarity. The white areas are where there is a similarity. It picked out the outline of the objects as identical:
comparison.jpg

Last edited:
On left: Police officer's photo of UFO, taken in WI in 1978, just flipped horizontally:
Police officer observes and photographs disc in Colfax, Wisconsin

On Right: Photo of one of the objects over the stadium in Florence, taken in 1954:
The day UFOs stopped play

Freaking Identical.

View attachment 37271View attachment 37272

I've compared these two images online with this tool, and 10% "fuzz":
https://online-image-comparison.com/
The red area is the area where there is no similarity. The white areas are where there is a similarity. It picked out the outline of the objects as identical:
View attachment 37273
That photo if real, is very good. I'm pretty sure the Florence photo is real. They actually match the descriptions of 19th century airships as well --like compact dirigibles with no baskets, as was seen by the farmers in the old article when they got a good glimpse of one in the daylight, too. Also an exact match for the Sternenschiff.

This is a very interesting article about the airships in Australia and New Zealand. And, there is even a school visitation where kids are asked to do drawings of what they saw (in 1909!) Just Like Westall, which is directly across the Tasmanian sea from the event mentioned below:

Daily Post (Hobart, Tas. : 1908 - 1918), Saturday 14 August 1909, page 6:

Here is the text extracted:

MYSTERIOUS LIGHTS IN THE AIR.
What is called in New Zealand the airship craze has developed almost simultaneously in various parts of the world. It was first heard of in England, where mysterious lights, supposed to be those of an airship, were seen from various parts of the country, and with much detail of circumstance accounts were given of the rapidity with which they moved, and the course taken. Then similar lights were seen in Australia and New Zealand, as if there were a sudden mania for experimenting with aeroplanes and dirigibles at night time. Most of the observers had no doubt that the lights they saw were, attached to airships, and would accept no other explanation. That they were subjects of hallucination was a suggestion scouted as impossible. Yet when the evidence, such as it is, is sifted. It is impossible to come to any other conclusion than that these people had been deceived. A case in point is reported from a school near Invercargill, New Zealand, where 23 children saw. not lights, but an airship in full flight in the day time. There could be no conspiracy of lying here, and, the reasonable explanation is that the children were deceived by a large bird or rapidly drifting cloud, and juvenile credulity will readily account for the rest. When the children were asked to draw the airship, a thing very simple in form, no two of the diagrams had even a remote resemblance one to the other. There are many ways in which observers might be deceived. Mars, now rapidly approaching the earth, is becoming a brilliant object in the eastern sky. and two other planets, in conjunction a few days ago, were conspicuous beyond all others. But the general explanation is to be found much closer to hand, and would be more often forthcoming if observers were less impressionable and of a practical turn of mind. At the end of last month Greymouth, New Zealand, was thrown into a state of some excitement by the report that an airship, or rather the light of one, could be seen rapidly approaching the harbor from the sea. Finally the object veered and disappeared in the north. The reports were remarkably circumstantial, but they were soon shattered by Captain Tait, harbormaster at Timaru, where the airship, or another,
appeared the same night. Captain Tait said that the light was nothing but that form of electricity known to sailors as Jack o' Lantern, a frequent accompaniment to foggy weather. And this is probably the explanation of most of the airship lights that have been seen in New Zealand and other places. Our Sydney correspondent, referring to this subject jn his letter this morning, suggests that the lamps of a buggy on a distant hillside will explain the appearance between Moss Vale and Goulburn. On marshy lands the will o' the wisp would also deceive people who gave no second thought to the light about them. It is a little surprising in these days, when most people have at least a smattering of elementary scientific knowledge, that there should be so much readiness to believe the airship story. It is, however, but another instance of the well-known fact that example has a powerful influence on human beings. The people who saw these lights would certainly deny that they ascribed them to an airship because they had read or heard of such a thing somewhere else. But in what other way were the people of New Zealand, where these lights were most frequently seen, deceived? Without saying that there may be any connection between the two things. It may be remarked in passing that these mysterious appearances have been more common in the prohibition districts than in other parts of the Dominion. Were it the other way about the moralist might perhaps ascribe another cause than those given here. The craze will have its day, but before it is over we are like to hear more of monoplanes and what not, maneuvering in mid-air at night time. Some people take the thing very seriously, and several English papers have published diagrams of the course taken by those mysterious navigators, and have even given illustrations of the airships as seen by keen-eyed observers with the aid of the light the vessels carried. Truly the influence of example is great, and the credulity of many people in no way less.

LikeWestall.jpg

Last edited:
Back