• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

I have to echo what enola and danny said...thanks for the listings....it fits well into the spirit of the board and all things Fortean.
:)

Almost all of them are meteors and bolides, or stars and planets, of course; in some cases the newspaper article even mentions this possibility.
Profoundly realised as a, 'sceptical ufologist'!

Dismiss those which seem explicable... what about the rest of them though...?

Well, it leaves "tracks of fire", possibly ionized air. Passes through, then comes back! Then perches on top of cloud --perhaps recharging. Described as being made of metal with gems (lights). Sounds like a saucer to me. Perhaps something like this:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ufos-scotland-john-macdonald_n_56df560fe4b0b25c917ffd55
View attachment 17406
Looks familiar...

Is this possibly related to accompanying photos doing the rounds some years back, which, despite howling protests from devotees, I helped establish were actually photographs of a new disco lightshow, published in a magazine - maybe in Germany?

Guess I'm gonna have to delve into the archives and see what I can still find there...

Looks familiar...

Is this possibly related to accompanying photos doing the rounds some years back, which, despite howling protests from devotees, I helped establish were actually photographs of a new disco lightshow, published in a magazine - maybe in Germany?

Guess I'm gonna have to delve into the archives and see what I can still find there...
I think it is a really good article! From 1902, I found it by trying to think of synonyms or descriptors for a flying saucer back in the 19th century. I tried "crown" and "sky", and... a direct hit! Not seen in any UFO book I am aware of. Leave tracks of ionized air, flys away, and then comes back! And perches on top of a cumulonimbus cloud to recharge; sprites don't do things like that.

Crown1902.PNG

The Scottish UFO:

"Macdonald, 65, estimated the object — displaying several rows of brilliant lights — was less than 100 yards from him, hovered for a few minutes, and then vanished near his Perthshire home around 11 p.m. on Feb. 28.

“I don’t know whether I frightened it or not with the flash of the camera, because in the beat of a heart, it was gone,” Macdonald told The Courier last week.

He claimed the UFO was louder than his Jeep.

“My Jeep is quite noisy, but this sounded like a thousand hoovers,” he said. “When I phoned my friend, who’s a shepherd, he said, ‘Don’t worry about it, we get this up here quite a lot.’”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ufos-scotland-john-macdonald_n_56df560fe4b0b25c917ffd55

56e1fd26150000ad000b1a24.jpg

There is also this, and it reminds me of the 1902 "crown", as it also possibly leaves a track of ionized air:
awamahuailarge.jpg

"2003 - United Arab Emigrates Jan, 11 - Raga St. Alghurair. Mr. Muhaned Awamah, a computer programmer, who lives in Raqa St-Alghurair City Dubai, saw Sat 11, Jan, 2003 at 9:40 PM, a strange object that suddenly appeared from the clouds.
Immediately, he got his camera and took a clear shot of it.

Mr. Muhaned says "I am very lucky to photograph this object, my camera already had film in it." He added, "I believe in intelligent beings in other planets and this picture is solid proof."

He continued: "I was sitting on my apartment balcony when the UFO suddenly appeared. It had bright lights. Then it started moving toward Ghurair only to disappear suddenly, leaving behind bright, fiery light which started disappearing slowly within seconds."

https://www.ufocasebook.com/bestufopictures6.html

Notice the similarity of the lights on the Scottish UFO with the Lubbock Lights.. They are very similar in quality:
56e1fd26150000ad000b1a24.jpg

19510825_lubbock_1.gif

Notice the similarity of the lights on the Scottish UFO with the Lubbock Lights.. They are very similar in quality:
Belter of a UFO report - somehow, oblivious to this beforehand!

So... auld John MacDonald... aye... ye couldnae make this up...

... or could ye...

Instant reaction... that photo apparently does not equate with one taken as a snapshot in the dark of night.

The exposure seems way too sharp under those circumstances - no 'camera shake'/blurring...

However, can't locate, at present, suggestions why he would any incentive to hoax such a thing.

The, 'Lubbock Lights'... OK... how about this as an alternative comparison...

More on this intriguing case, in due course.

2019525_0585533.jpg

Re the, 'Lubbock Lights', maybe worth a look at:

Or, indeed, any of the YouTube videos evidencing and explaining the economics of why birds fly in a, 'V shaped formation and even through the night.

Although we can't say for certain what the, 'Lubbock Lights' were, perhaps safe to conclude that, caught up in the, 'Flying Saucer' hysteria of that time, it was not a squadron from outer space...

I don't think he hoaxed it, he seems like an honest guy. It does look similar to the photo you posted taken during the Hudson Valley wave. You'll notice that the Scottish saucer, seen at an angle from below, is circular and appears as an ellipse from that perspective. Also, notice that it's not a perfect circle, the edges as demarcated by the lights is irregular. I suspect many of these objects don't have rigid hulls and are made of flexible programmable matter.

Last edited:
As far as I know the plover explanation is wrong, and tests were done photographing birds in similar conditions and they failed to create anything like the Lubbock lights, which were seen repeatedly until a picture was finally taken.

As far as I know the plover explanation is wrong, and tests were done photographing birds in similar conditions and they failed to create anything like the Lubbock lights, which were seen repeatedly until a picture was finally taken.
It could, obviously, never be exactly replicated (it could have been one if several bird species).. is this not close enough though, other than an attribution to a fleet of spaceships from elsewhere in the universe?

https://images.app.goo.gl/VE9197dhp7KkbUpG7

From Wikipedia's article on the Lubbock Lights:

"The three professors became determined to view the objects again and perhaps discover their identity. On September 5, 1951, all three men, along with two other professors from Texas Tech, were sitting in Dr. Robinson's frontyard when the lights flew overhead. According to Dr. Grayson Mead the lights "appeared to be about the size of a dinner plate and they were greenish-blue, slightly fluorescent in color. They were smaller than the full moon at the horizon. There were about a dozen to fifteen of these lights... they were absolutely circular... it gave all of us... an extremely eerie feeling." Mead claimed that the lights could not have been birds, but he also stated that they "went over so fast... that we wished we could have had a better look." The professors observed one formation of lights flying above a thin cloud at about 2,000 feet (610 m); this allowed them to calculate that the lights were traveling at over 600 miles per hour (970 km/h) "
In the '40s discs were reported flying in similar formations.

The size of the Lubbock "Lights" was very similar to the size of the discs traveling up the sides of missiles during tests at White Sands, and small dinner plate sized discs have flown around fighter jets, too.

In the '40s discs were reported flying in similar formations.
Were there any reports of, 'flying discs' before Arnold's utterly misconstrued report?

I don't actually know the answer to this and wondered who might...

Hey... you'll do just fine!

Ultimately, it's proverbially trying to extract the, 'wheat from the chaff'.

Doesn't help, of course, when we're having to negotiate all the, 'smoke and mirrors', inevitable from previous conceptions in subsequent years!

That's why these early reports are so invaluable and thanks again for uploading such a, 'treasure trove' of same.

{still haven't got much further than page seven yet...}.

Now what is that reminiscent of... sure it's something I've especially highlighted before... because I'm aware of the background there...
When I first came across this painting, I wrote to the artist asking if he might please explain the background.

Steve (his artwork has featured on the cover of notable science-fiction books some years back) confided - with due permission to publish same - that the painting was commissioned by someone who wanted to document their experience.

Steve further clarified that said person could never go public with this, as they held a senior position in government services. I know what that was - not permitted to disclosure - and makes perfect sense.

Quite a dilemma there.

What would you all do under these circumstances?

Say... you've just been interviewed for that dream job and called back into the stern boardroom. Smiles all round though and you known you're just about to be congratulated.

You're asked, 'Before we continue, anything else you would like to add'?

'Nothing, thank you... although did I mention my recent close encounter with a UFO...'.

Were there any reports of, 'flying discs' before Arnold's utterly misconstrued report?

I don't actually know the answer to this and wondered who might...

Hey... you'll do just fine!

Ultimately, it's proverbially trying to extract the, 'wheat from the chaff'.

Doesn't help, of course, when we're having to negotiate all the, 'smoke and mirrors', inevitable from previous conceptions in subsequent years!

That's why these early reports are so invaluable and thanks again for uploading such a, 'treasure trove' of same.

{still haven't got much further than page seven yet...}.
The Sternenschiff! 1851. Totally forgotten, one of the best historic sightings, is a disc UFO, but can change shape too:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/52797757?searchTerm=sky AND "strange%20metalli%20c"&searchLimits=exactPhrase=strange+metallic|||any%20Words|||notWords|||requestHandler|||dateFrom|||dat%20eTo|||sortby

The. crown from1902 posted earlier could be a disc.

The Sternenschiff! 1851. Totally forgotten, one of the best historic sightings, is a disc UFO, but can change shape too..

The. crown from1902 posted earlier could be a disc.
Fascinating and a new one for myself.

Terrific online resource there.

So a disc-shaped object, which often isn't a disc at all and a 'crown', which isn't really a disc either.

Is that it then?

Pre-Arnold's misconstrued report, where are the hundreds of other comparable sightings?

They don't exist and a blatantly obvious reason why.

That aside, I mentioned some seemingly compelling saucer photos doing the rounds some years back.

Like I said, they were not trustworthy - although still being championed as ultimate proof by some - and here's an excellent article why:

https://rense.com/ufo/hoax4photos.html

Fascinating and a new one for myself.

Terrific online resource there.

So a disc-shaped object, which often isn't a disc at all and a 'crown', which isn't really a disc either.

Is that it then?

Pre-Arnold's misconstrued report, where are the hundreds of other comparable sightings?

They don't exist and a blatantly obvious reason why.

That aside, I mentioned some seemingly compelling saucer photos doing the rounds some years back.

Like I said, they were not trustworthy - although still being championed as ultimate proof by some - and here's an excellent article why:

https://rense.com/ufo/hoax4photos.html
I've seen those pics; I think it is a hoax. It's pretty clear that "saucers" was used as a blanket catch-all descriptor for a variety of objects people were seeing, especially during the wave in the late '40s and '50s. Actual descriptions of structured craft are very similar to the crown (rimmed with lights, dome or convex top, etc.). Silver crescent objects were watched through theodolites at the aerodrome in Australia (see clipping).
This is an excellent article with information from Zelig; note the "stars of the first magnitude" li!e the one over the "crown"

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...RFNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IkgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7098,4541412

Of course Arnold's "discs" werent discs or crescents, either. But, many of these things can change shape; we've tried to mimic it with memory metal, but the real things sometimes are made of programmable matter( almost living machines, imo.

I believe the McMinnville UFO pics, Trudell photos, Heflin photos, are all real and good.

This is a good sighting by a RCMP officer from '78, and a telescope is used:

This is a good sighting by a RCMP officer from '78, and a telescope is used:
Another great thing about this sighting is the movement of the object uo and diwn and from side to side; there are SO many sightings where the objects do that.. One that comes to mind is the UFO over the town where a Plutonium plant was to be built.

There is a lot of really good stuff, here:
https://realtvufos.blogspot.com/2018/12/
The stubby wings are also a feature in many sightings in the articles; the Everest Expedition of '33 objects (posted article earlier "Ghosts of Everest") one of the objects had stubby wings, and pulsated. Even the flying "Spook" of 1913 that was shot at looked similar to a monoplane with no tail section, and was silent. Alien drone.

Back