• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

I, for one, happen to find it rather charming to hear that our Queer Heavenly Visitors are traversing the galaxies in what appear to be flying railway carriages or single-decker buses.

And I am extremely disappointed to have missed (regardless of how long ago it may have happened...) that violet glow at 6.55 pm, followed by a bright orange glow at 7.10 pm.

I, for one, happen to find it rather charming to hear that our Queer Heavenly Visitors are traversing the galaxies in what appear to be flying railway carriages or single-decker buses.

And I am extremely disappointed to have missed (regardless of how long ago it may have happened...) that violet glow at 6.55 pm, followed by a bright orange glow at 7.10 pm.
Amazing stuff was happening down under -at the same time as the UFO waves were happening elsewhere. I would imagine there are some very old Australians who remember some of it, or heard stories from parents; I run into amazing people like that, here in the US.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XLII, Number 85, 8 February 1916
WITNESSES TELL OF MYSTERY 1 CRAFT

LAH19160208.2.218-a1-321w.jpg

LAH19160208.2.218-a2-331w.jpg

This might well be one of the modules from the Woonsocket saucers.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nsocket-rhode-island-1967.65798/#post-1856145

Last edited:
This is great:

San Francisco Call, Volume 80, Number 179, 26 November 1896:
ALL SACRAMENTO AGAPE:

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a1-436w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a2-440w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a3-355w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a4-440w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a5-444w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a6-440w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a7-449w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a8-437w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a9-440w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a10-442w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a11-438w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a12-440w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a13-441w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a14-442w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a15-442w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a16-441w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a17-442w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a18-441w.jpg

SFC18961126.2.2.7-a19-448w.jpg

Continued, below.

Attachments

• SFC18961126.2.2.7-a20-440w.jpg
    SFC18961126.2.2.7-a20-440w.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 17
1897. Cigar-shaped UFO "Airship".
Salt Lake herald. (Salt Lake City [Utah) 1870-1909, November 15, 1897, Page 7

View attachment 17380
[...] the tailor saw a bright light in the heavens, which looked to be just over the asylum.:lolling:

in its flight this strange aerial creature seemed to be under perfect control [...]

Gee, I like that almost as much as Queer Heavenly Visitor! I modify my previously announced deviation from the UFO and UAP appellations to embrace both Strange Aerial Creature and Queer Heavenly Visitor (SAC/QHV), as well as any possible mashups thereof.

I did a search for the UFO reported at Sheffield Lake, Ohio in 1958, and came up with nothing, although I don't rule out the possibility that it could have been discussed on this forum, and I just didn't word my search right.

But, in case i has not been discussed here, and no one else remembers it, this sighting is worth remembering, because it stirred up much controversy at the time it happened.

Here's a link to a very long and detailed report on the sighting:

http://ufohistoryfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/73C.pdf

Thanks for doing that, Mr. Staff member. I think this UFO sighting is such a vast subject, that it does need its own thread.

Now that I am stuck at home, I am going to create a PDF of a number of the articles sorted by date, and cataloged with some search terms, too. A number of people have been asking repeatedly for it --gotta do it. I'll work on it now and again some evenings. Hope you have all been well during the sudden craziness.

I don't know if I posted this one here before. I love it.

Project Blue Book unknown?

August 29, 1952, 10:50 a.m.

West of U.S. Airbase, Thule, Greenland, 80 miles from North Pole

"Flying at 10,000 feet in the arctic while monitoring a Skyhook balloon doing cosmic ray research at 90,000 feet, the crew of the four-engine "Privateer" (P4Y-2) saw "three bright silver discs" attached to the top of the instrument pod hanging under the balloon. The "saucer-shaped" objects had appeared suddenly, not having been there when the balloon was previously viewed. After watching them through binoculars for several minutes, the discs detached themselves from the tail of the balloon, formed up into a compact V, executed a sharp vertical bank to the left, estimated at 100 g's, then accelerated upward at blinding speed taking them out of sight in 3 seconds (estimated speed in the tens of thousands of miles an hour). The pilot, Lt. John C. Callahan, reported the incident upon the plane's return to his officer in charge, Commander Edward P. Stafford. Stafford first publicly reported it in the October 2004 issue of [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]Naval History Magazine in an article titled "Cosmic Curiosity-- 'Three bright silver discs' seen over Greenland have never been explained." Besides Callahan, the incident was also witnessed by copilot Lt. (jg) Bill O'Flaherty and the plane's captain, identified only as "Merchant." Stafford said Callahan immediately wrote out a full report, which was forwarded to the Office of Naval Intelligence and Air Force authorities in Thule. There was never an explanation or even an acknowledgement of the report. (However, the case is apparently listed in Project Blue Book files.) Stafford wrote that Callahan was normally a very steady professional pilot, but was badly shaken by this incident."

I don't know if I posted this one here before. I love it.

Project Blue Book unknown?

August 29, 1952, 10:50 a.m.

West of U.S. Airbase, Thule, Greenland, 80 miles from North Pole

"Flying at 10,000 feet in the arctic while monitoring a Skyhook balloon doing cosmic ray research at 90,000 feet, the crew of the four-engine "Privateer" (P4Y-2) saw "three bright silver discs" attached to the top of the instrument pod hanging under the balloon. The "saucer-shaped" objects had appeared suddenly, not having been there when the balloon was previously viewed. After watching them through binoculars for several minutes, the discs detached themselves from the tail of the balloon, formed up into a compact V, executed a sharp vertical bank to the left, estimated at 100 g's, then accelerated upward at blinding speed taking them out of sight in 3 seconds (estimated speed in the tens of thousands of miles an hour). The pilot, Lt. John C. Callahan, reported the incident upon the plane's return to his officer in charge, Commander Edward P. Stafford. Stafford first publicly reported it in the October 2004 issue of [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]Naval History Magazine in an article titled "Cosmic Curiosity-- 'Three bright silver discs' seen over Greenland have never been explained." Besides Callahan, the incident was also witnessed by copilot Lt. (jg) Bill O'Flaherty and the plane's captain, identified only as "Merchant." Stafford said Callahan immediately wrote out a full report, which was forwarded to the Office of Naval Intelligence and Air Force authorities in Thule. There was never an explanation or even an acknowledgement of the report. (However, the case is apparently listed in Project Blue Book files.) Stafford wrote that Callahan was normally a very steady professional pilot, but was badly shaken by this incident."
These small devices are just like the small discs flying around missiles at White Sands.

Now I'm finding little goodies over at Historum I forgot about. This is fun:

I love this statement from Hillenkoetter from 1960 in a letter to Congress, as reported in The New York Times:

"Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe the unknown flying objects are nonsense."

220px-Roscoe_H._Hillenkoetter_%281957%29.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_H._Hillenkoetter

Some things never change.

Last edited:
I think I'll try to get in touch with Aubeck and direct him to our newspapers thread --there might be some things in there he hasn't seen, like "Strange Crown". He would love it.

With regards to the American Airship stories, just how many of them were actually true?

With regards to the American Airship stories, just how many of them were actually true?

As far as I know, nobody knows ...

I don't recall anyone ever finding evidence of a viable heavier-than-air craft associated with a specific "airship" sighting.

Lighter-than-air craft were certainly available in the mystery airship heyday period (waning years of the 19th century). However, I don't recall any follow-up documentation demonstrating a given sighting had been determined to involve (e.g.) a known balloon or dirigible X.

It's worth noting that the same period was also the heyday of newspapers' taking liberties in printing homegrown fiction as entertainment or simple column-filler - especially during the annual "silly season" (mid to late summer).

As far as I know, nobody knows ...

I don't recall anyone ever finding evidence of a viable heavier-than-air craft associated with a specific "airship" sighting.

Lighter-than-air craft were certainly available in the mystery airship heyday period (waning years of the 19th century). However, I don't recall any follow-up documentation demonstrating a given sighting had been determined to involve (e.g.) a known balloon or dirigible X.

It's worth noting that the same period was also the heyday of newspapers' taking liberties in printing homegrown fiction as entertainment or simple column-filler - especially during the annual "silly season" (mid to late summer).
There was an individual who claimed to be able to tie all of them to known experiments with lighter-than air-craft --it didn't really work.. At the time there were editorials describing how ridiculous the idea was that they were dirigibles or made by us, given the perfect control, speed and maneuvers,, etc. During same time --some were seen in daylight --no people on board or place for people, not balloons. A bit earlier right before period the Sternenschiff was sighted, during that time, the "Strange Crown" was see. All in Historic Newspapers thread.

Back