• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historical Recipes

Cooking with Radiation.

'Radiation' in this sense being a brand of gas cooker from the 1920's and their recipe book offers the classic " Surprise Potatoes"

Surprise Potatoes
"Regulo" Setting Mark 7
Time 1 Hour
Ingredients -
6 potatoes.
¼ lbs. cooked sausage.
Method
Wash and roast the potatoes, in their skins, for one hour with the "Regulo" at mark 7, placing them on a grid shelf. After roasting, cut the end off each potato, scoop out the centre, fill with cooked sausage, replace the end, and serve.

http://www.itssolastcentury.co.uk/kitchen/Radiation_Cookery_Book.php

Cooking with Radiation.

'Radiation' in this sense being a brand of gas cooker from the 1920's and their recipe book offers the classic " Surprise Potatoes"

Surprise Potatoes
"Regulo" Setting Mark 7
Time 1 Hour
Ingredients -
6 potatoes.
¼ lbs. cooked sausage.
Method
Wash and roast the potatoes, in their skins, for one hour with the "Regulo" at mark 7, placing them on a grid shelf. After roasting, cut the end off each potato, scoop out the centre, fill with cooked sausage, replace the end, and serve.

http://www.itssolastcentury.co.uk/kitchen/Radiation_Cookery_Book.php
Excellent as a surprise for vegetarian guests!

The 45th edition of the Radiation Cookery Book, printed in 1955. Surprise Potatoes have been renamed Stuffed Potatoes, with a wider selection of fillings.

(1) Cooked chopped meat, sausages or sausagemeat mixed with the potato centre.
(2) Grated cheese mixed with the potato centre.
(3) Cooked diced vegetables mixed with the potato centre.
(4) Flaked cooked fish mixed with the potato centre.
(5) Slide a whole raw egg into the potato cases. Mash the potato centres with a little milk and pipe round the edges of the cases.

cookbook.jpg

The 45th edition of the Radiation Cookery Book, printed in 1955. Surprise Potatoes have been renamed Stuffed Potatoes, with a wider selection of fillings.

(5) Slide a whole raw egg into the potato cases. Mash the potato centres with a little milk and pipe round the edges of the cases.

View attachment 28756
My Mum has old books that mention 'Regulo' - which I took to be an old gas measurement. Didn't know it was a brand of cooker.

The introduction says "The name Regulo New World applies to All New World cookers fitted with the Regulo oven heat control whether the door panel is marked New World or Regulo New World."
The recipes quote oven settings as Regulo Mark n, which appears to be the origin of the modern gas mark settings according to Wikipedia.

The presenter of these videos about historical recipes is a bit irritating for my taste :mcoat: but they are well produced and interesting.

Has anybody tried out this sort of thing for themselves?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaGKqPZnGp_7N80hcHySGQ
I love this sort of thing. I still lament the demise of the lovely magazine Home Farmer which often had historical recipes or old fashioned ingredients. It did a whole series on wartime recipes once. I tried a few of them but I have still not got round to making mock orange marmalade yet or "orange juice" from squeezed neeps. I pulled out most of the recipes and have them in folders.

I am not a stranger to new and trendy foods by the way but I am a big fan of old recipes. Simple, cheap, tasty, filling stuff. Just what I need. I am a latecomer to semolina pudding but it is the greatest thing ever IMO.

View attachment 28756
They've ruined it for me.

I have a copy of Hannah Glasse's "The Art of Cooking", which is a good read but I've never tried to cook anything from it!

I've often wanted to cook out of those 'enquire within upon everything' books (late victorian household manuals). The whole approach to cooking is so different - when making pickles, you take about a year and you make them in serious bulk: enough to last ten years or so.

We've posted on here before about medieval recipes - the ones I've tried are really spice-heavy and in those days no one seemed concerned about mixing salt and "sweet salt" - rich is an understatement.

And if you need something to display your cocktail stick nibbles, just butter-ice a gourd.

Cocktail_0778.jpg

can't remember it involved a lot of mace.

Is that mace the outside of the nutmeg or mace the actual herb?

I've got some mace (herb) growing outside and I've no idea what to cook it with!

Is that mace the outside of the nutmeg or mace the actual herb?

I've got some mace (herb) growing outside and I've no idea what to cook it with!

isn't mace the outside webbing on a nutmeg?
:confused:

Back