• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historical Recipes

A piece here about some antique cookbooks going to auction.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...istorical-cookbooks-reveal-surprising-recipes

Some examples
Published in 1677, The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digby Kt also contains at least 50 recipes for making metheglin, a type of mead made with herbs and spices, as well as ones for stepony, a raisin wine; bragot, an ale flavoured with honey and spices; and a somewhat less tempting tea made with eggs.

and the even more catchy

The Cook Not Mad, or Rational Cookery; Being a Collection of Original and Selected Receipts, Embracing not only the Art of Curing Various Kinds of Meats and Vegetables for Future Use, but of Cooking, in its General Acceptation, to the Taste, Habits, and Degrees of Luxury, Prevalent with the American Publick, in Town and Country ... together with Sundry Miscellaneous Kinds of Information, of Importance to Housekeepers in General.

or how about

a gammon of roasted badger and a viper soup featuring in one 18th-century book, while a 1653 collection of medical recipes recommends that convulsions are to be treated with the dung of a peacock, and jaundice with powdered earthworms.

I think a lot of my recipes are old without me knowing (or caring)

Mrs Beeton has taken a lot of time from her evidently very busy schedule to help me in my kitchen, -how she would be horrified if she could see it!

I have a reprint of `Food Facts From the Kitchen Front` a lot of good recipes there involving simple ingredients, the sort you might find in the village store and so not have to drive miles to the supermarket, -very convenient.

But the writer has seeminly not heard of microwaves...

This is not a particularly ancient nor historic recipe, but it may be one that haunts the youth of some of us here today.

Behold the candle salad...

Do you want to recreate the old, historical recipes? I would like to recreate the old orange sauce recipe my granny used to cook when I was 4 years old. I can tell that recreation of old recipes is a fun and educational activity for many people. Additionally, it can be a way to connect with one's heritage or cultural traditions and learn about the cuisine and culinary techniques of the past from other perspectives. Many historical recipe books and manuscripts have been digitized and are available online, making it easier for people to access and try out these recipes in their own kitchens.

Last edited:
This is not a particularly ancient nor historic recipe, but it may be one that haunts the youth of some of us here today.

Behold the candle salad...

I bet that'd go down well in Florida. :nods:

Attachments

• KW.jpg
    KW.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2
Back