• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

History And Distribution Of Asparagus

A

Anonymous

Here

asparagus.jpg

The Emperor Augustus used to have a saying-
'as quick as boiled asparagus!'

as in
'Strike off his head- as quick as boiled asparagus.'
He was a benevolent ruler, for the most part,
but obsessed by vegetables.

Apsapragus doesn't half make your wee smell. :blah:

My Father in law had asparagus for the first time about 2 months ago. My Wife rang him one day and he sounded worried -she asked what was wrong and he said that he'd made an appointment to see go and see his doctor, because he thought he had prostate cancer due to the stench that issued when he went for a tinkle.
How we laughed. :laughing:

Do you know, I've never, ever, tasted asparagus, am I missing anything?

Carole

It makes your wee smell nice. But yes you can definitely detect it 30 minutes later.

Carole - you are missing out. Asparagus is wonderful. But make sure that you learn how to cook it. Not difficult. Even wild asparagus is good - excellent in an omelette.

And it isn't really a posh dish - despite all the nonsense talked, these days.

My father was a Lancashire man. They used collect it on the beaches.

Public Service Announcement: Asparagus makes your other body fluid nasty too. Breath can be adversely affected as can...er...other body fluids...oh never mind....

:blush:

"Do you know, I've never, ever, tasted asparagus, am I missing anything?"
In my book, no. It tastes like canned (tin) peas, which are awful. Asparagus is only palatable when drowned in Hollandais. In fact, forget the asparagus, mop up the Hollandais with bread or whatever.

'Tis the start of the euro season. Just bought and ate 3 decent packs for 4 Euro in the supermarket here. Was fantastic with melted butter, sea salt and pepper. And my wee smells already!

I can only assume that the people who don't like it just don't know how to eat it. Fu**ing fantastic. Summer is nearly here.

Tomorrow I'm off to my land to look for the ancient wild thin stuff which grows there and which is great in an omlette.

Back