• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Whatever happened to the Brontosaurus, when i was a kid the two big plant eating dinos were the Diplodocus and the Brontosausus, now it seems to be called Brachiosaurus, i looked it up and its aparently down to genus of dinosaur vs genus of lizard, but you never hear the name Brontsaurus in relation to dinos these days only in relation to the extendable platforms the fire brigade use.

Whatever happened to the Brontosaurus, when i was a kid the two big plant eating dinos were the Diplodocus and the Brontosausus, now it seems to be called Brachiosaurus, i looked it up and its aparently down to genus of dinosaur vs genus of lizard, but you never hear the name Brontsaurus in relation to dinos these days only in relation to the extendable platforms the fire brigade use.
I grew up learning in school about the Brontosaurus as well .. is this one for the Manella effect thread or is it that they've been re classified?

edit: the Brontosaurus is still alive on wikipedia .. Brontosaurus - Wikipedia

I grew up learning in school about the Brontosaurus as well .. is this one for the Manella effect thread or is it that they've been re classified?
All i know is what i read about the genus classifications.

"The main difference between Brachiosaurus and Brontosaurus is that the Brachiosaurus is a genus of dinosaur and Brontosaurus is a genus of reptiles (fossil)."

https://www.askdifference.com/brachiosaurus-vs-brontosaurus/

As to whether there was a memo sent out to professionals some time in the late 80's early 90's telling them to only refer to the beast as Brachiosaurus from nowon i cant say, but i havent heard Brontosaurus used in relation to the big small headed dino for a long time.

The greatest trick the Dinosaura pulled was in making palaeontologists believe the were dead.

You're opening a can of worms with both of these dinosaurs. If I remember correctly, most depictions of brachiosaurus are based on a close relative, although I can't remember why. Brontosaurus became famous, then became an invalid taxon because (I think) it was actually the previously described apatosaurus, but now it's been separated again. Both these stories are complicated and I lack the time to do a deep dive.

or is it that they've been re classified?
edit: the Brontosaurus is still alive on wikipedia .. Brontosaurus - Wikipedia
It seems they are actually cousins according to this (also on Wikipedia). Brontosauruses are a type of Apatosaurus. And Brontosauruses and Brachiosaurus (sauri?) are both 'Neosauropods'.
Cute illustrations.
So many sauropods. My five year old brain would have loved this. I kind of wish I'd never drifted away from dinosaurs. It's a mystery in itself really where all that young dinosaur-obsession goes?! I suppose dinosaur-related career options are quite thin on the ground. But it's not like you're worrying about that when you're seven
1616334742318.png

I remember "brachiosaurus" from books I was reading in the 1970s. It's a different beast. There were several species of dinosaur of the same general shape.

At first sight, the brachiosaurus looks like a typical sauropod dinosaur: large body, 4 legs, long tail, long neck, small head — very much the same sort of thing as a diplodocus or brontosaurus. Fred Flintstone might have used it as a crane.

However, the brachiosaurus was unusual in having front legs that were longer than its back legs. Hence it's name translates as "arm lizard". The other sauropods had long back legs, short front legs.

I double checked this today before writing this but I had remembered this correctly.

Brontosaurus ("thunder lizard") has at various times over the last few decades been classified as an "apatosaurus". It is a member of the family Diplodocidae which also includes diplodocus itself.

Bear in mind that there is only limited fossil evidence of any of these. We are lucky to have a few complete or nearly complete skeletons, but these are not always enough to give us a clear idea of populations and species relationships. In some cases, whole species are inferred from a few isolated bones. As more evidence comes to light, species are sometimes reclassified.

A favourite of mine as a kid was the bipedal dinosaur that was proposed as having a single horn on its nose. Later investigation concluded that this was the only remaining thumb from the skeleton that was being reconstructed. As there was only one part of that shape, they assumed it went along the central axis, and a horn on the nose seemed the obvious answer.

A quick search today reminds me it was the Iguanodon

A favourite of mine as a kid was the bipedal dinosaur that was proposed as having a single horn on its nose. Later investigation concluded that this was the only remaining thumb from the skeleton that was being reconstructed. As there was only one part of that shape, they assumed it went along the central axis, and a horn on the nose seemed the obvious answer.

A quick search today reminds me it was the Iguanodon
That was the inspiration for the Iguanadon sculptures in Hyde Park
seen here:

8CCBA9A5-B333-4848-A84142F096BB9142_source.jpg

Edit: as @Bad Bungle pointed out, they are at Crystal Palace not Hyde Park :)

Last edited:
Escaped from Crystal Palace.
Wasn't there some debate on the threads about whether a Dinner in the Iguanodon mould actully took place in1853 ?
Sorry i was working from my bad memory rather than checking, Crystal Palace it is :)

I believe there was a story that a meal was eaten inside a mammoth of dinosaur which ultimately turned out to be in one ot the statues, i cant remember which thread but i remember commenting on it, might have been the 'eating mammoth' thread.

It wasn't a coincidence ... I was locating and delving into earlier discussions touching on the dinner inside the iguanodon and updating them (as appropriate) while backtracking to this thread. You noted what I'd been doing before I'd had the chance to update this one (which would have been the last one modified or posted to).

As I mentioned in another thread, the brontosaurus was one of my favorite dinosaurs when I was young. To many Americans of my age, it's closely linked to the Sinclair Oil Corporation, who had a station near my home.

Sinclair_Oil_logo.svg.png

Sinclair sponsored dinosaur exhibits - with life-size models - at both New York World's Fairs.

These made a big impression on me as a child, although I have no clear recollection of when I first saw one or how long they've been in use in England.

View attachment 64243View attachment 64242

Well, at the danger of veering off-topic (though not as badly as I usually do), I'm British, have lived here for all of my half-century-plus, and until today had never seen or heard the name Brontosaurus in connection with heavy lifting equipment.

As per the start of this thread, Brontosaurus is merely the name of a dinosaur which was commonly-used when I was little, but seems to have been superseded by Diplodocus et al.

Now I think about, when I was small, most of my friends and acquaintances would have only been able to name a couple of dinos, this one and the Tyrannosaurus Rex. Velociraptors weren't invented yet!

In my psyche a Brontosaurus might inadvertently squash you.

But a T Rex would chase you and eat you.

Did Tyrannosaurus Ever Battle Triceratops? - Smithsonian Magazine

"The fossil was dotted with at least 58 punctures that were mostly likely created by an adult Tyrannosaurus. These were not injuries caused during predation, but they record the feeding behavior of a tyrannosaur as it ripped the hips off the Triceratops and defleshed that mass of meat and bone as best it could."

So Brontosaurus was easier on the eye.
A friendly dinosaur.

I had this book.

dino.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, at the danger of veering off-topic (though not as badly as I usually do), I'm British, have lived here for all of my half-century-plus, and until today had never seen or heard the name Brontosaurus in connection with heavy lifting equipment.

As per the start of this thread, Brontosaurus is merely the name of a dinosaur which was commonly-used when I was little, but seems to have been superseded by Diplodocus et al.

Now I think about, when I was small, most of my friends and acquaintances would have only been able to name a couple of dinos, this one and the Tyrannosaurus Rex. Velociraptors weren't invented yet!
Last year we had an exhibition of fossils, lost of small children know an awful lot about dinosaurs and are very keen to share that information with you.

I think it may be on the national curriculum

Back