Hoaxes & Pranks

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
l want to be a standup comic wherever they are. lt doesn’t take much to get them convulsing with laughter.

maximus otter
From the accents, it could be the Netherlands (but I'm just guessing). At first, I thought it was Turkey.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
French Scientist's Photo of ‘Distant Star’ Was Actually Chorizo

Étienne Klein’s tweet was liked and retweeted thousands of times before he revealed he was trolling and the photo showed a slice of sausage, not Proxima Centauri.

1659697288207-chorizo-james-webb-space-telescope.jpeg

Images from the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope, a collaboration between NASA and Canada and Europe’s space agencies, went viral throughout July as its first images were released to the public. But a few days later, Klein revealed that the photo he tweeted was not the work of the world’s most powerful space telescope, as he had in fact tweeted a slice of chorizo sausage.

Klein told French news outlet Le Point that his intention had been to educate people about fake news online, adding that “I also think that if I hadn't said it was a James Webb photo, it wouldn't have been so successful.”
https://www.vice.com/en/article/akeemk/chorizo-james-webb-space-telescope

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This offer of a free haunted refrigerator in the London area is believed to be a hoax. Here's the poster that was circulated to advertise it:

FREEHauntedFridgePoster-2208.jpg
Owner is trying to give away ‘cursed fridge’ that ‘houses’ stepmother’s soul

It’s chilling . . . in more ways than one.

A “free fridge” offer comes with a catch: The kitchen appliance is likely haunted, the owner warns.

“My stepmother had a heart attack on our kitchen floor in the middle of an electrical storm, and her soul was transferred into the computer unit of our smart fridge,” says the poster, which was distributed around London.

And apparently the stepmother “talks” to them.

“She has been subtly undermining me ever since, commenting on how many slices of cheese I’ve eaten, or whether I’ve properly put the lid back on something,” they claim.

The owner held out for a while and then decided they had had enough, according to South West News Service.

“I’m starting to feel it is completely unreasonable that she’s decided to live in our fridge, judging me on my culinary decisions,” according to the poster. “She has to go.” ...

FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/owner-is-trying-to-give-away-cursed-fridge-that-is-haunted/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
An old hoax.

Why do people keep falling for hoaxes?

Moreover, what is it about certain hoaxes that maintain an iron hold on public imagination, long after their con is exposed? The Roger Dodsworth hoax of 1826 managed to fool so many people and remain in so many memories that a short story about it, published nearly forty years later, still seemed relevant to readers, writes English literature scholar Charles E. Robinson.

Great Britain suffered through an usually hot summer in 1826, and the popular press took full advantage of it, banking on the unusual and “chilling” tale of the so-called Roger Dodsworth to sell copies. According to newspapers in Lyons, Rouen, and Paris, Dodsworth was the thirty-year-old son of the sixteenth-century English antiquarian Roger Dodsworth. As the story went, Dodsworth the younger had been frozen in ice for 166 years, having been trapped under a avalanche while on expedition at Mount St. Gothard in the Alps in 1660. The story was picked up in London; the most popular publications of the day sensationalized an already sensational tale. Even the conservative weekly John Bull published letters supposedly penned by the remarkable survivor. The public, fully under sway of the imagination and emotion that shaped the age of Romanticism, was enthralled and seduced by the story as it passed from page to page in the London papers.

The popularity of the tall, cold tale had risen and fallen in the span of a year.

Eventually, readers generally accepted that the Dodsworth revivification was false—common sense apparently triumphed in people’s overactive minds—and the story ceased circulating in early November 1826; the popularity of the tall, cold tale had risen and fallen in the span of a year. The fate of the actual (possibly French) claimant remains unknown; it seems that after their fifteen minutes of fame, they simply vanished in obscurity.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-hoax-that-inspired-mary-shelley/