• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch Played a 15-Year-Long Prank on Ad-Rock

:)

(I briefly worked for a mate who did security/roadie work for bands, we ended up getting a night's work that I was hugely excited about, to be part of a large roadie team for The Beastie Boys at the NEC in Birmingham as part of their Intergalactic Planetary Tour (I'd been a fan since the Licensed To Ill Tour and saw them at Bradford with Run DMC in the mid 80's) .. so anyway, we all got there, walked across the centre towards the stage area and through some blokes who were playing basketball because we didn't want to be late, we got swore at so we swore back at them and they started laughing .. then we realised three of them were The Beastie Boys. I've still got my orange crew T Shirt.)

Band goes on tour, band members begin to wonder why there is nobody there when they are playing, venue operators wonder where all the people they supposedly sold tickets to are, then they realise the band leader has been buying attention online to make it look as if the band has an audience, when it doesn't:
https://news.avclub.com/not-even-the-members-of-threatin-realized-that-their-ba-1830420149

The thought processes that make someone think this is a good idea are beyond my ken, certainly.

RE: the above, the frontman breaks his silence to say "Aaah - I meant to do that!"
Excuses link

Nobody is convinced. I hope he hasn't spent too much money on looking like a prannet.

Fans of the UK's most popular tonic wine were left disappointed after discovering that the Buckfast Truck Christmas Tour isn't actually a real event. A page recently set up on Facebook said the festive themed truck would be arriving in Glasgow on the 19th December, along with other dates in Aberdeen, Livingston, Edinburgh, Fife, Paisley and Ayr. The tour would also be taking in places in Northern Ireland. The Glasgow event page, which even featured a mock up of the Buckfast truck – a riff on the popular Coca-Cola Christmas vehicle – posted: “The World Famous Bucky Truck is bringing a Buckfast swigging Santa Claus to all corners of the UK and Ireland this Christmas.”
The page generated a lot of interest, with over 2,000 people saying they were going to attend the Glasgow event alone. However, with more and more people signaling their intention to attend, the organisers were forced to post that it was indeed a joke and not an actual event.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/d...c-truck-christmas-tour-isnt-actually-a-thing/

At face value this is an entertaining hoax illustrating how vacuous the fashion industry can be. On the other hand, I have to take it with a grain of salt because the perpetrators got exactly what they wanted (recorded content for use in advertising), and the whole thing may have been a staged 'set-up'.

(Payless is an American shoe store chain specializing in inexpensive footwear.)

Payless opens hoax upscale store, sells $20 shoes for hundreds
Payless Shoesource filled a fake luxury store with its discount footwear and sold to "fashion influencers" for hyper-inflated prices.

The chain said it took over the former Armani store in Santa Monica and labeled it "Palessi" before filling it with Payless shoes with inflated price tags and inviting social media fashion influencers to a party at the store.

Partygoers shelled out hundreds of dollars for shoes that normally retail for between $20 and $40 at Payless.

Payless shared video of the party-goers reacting to being told the shoes they had just splurged on were actually discount stock.

The store said it was aiming to show its products are more fashionable than their regular prices might indicate. The "Palessi" customers were refunded for their purchases, while their testimonials are being used for online and TV advertisements.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/1...re-sells-20-shoes-for-hundreds/4131543592474/

At face value this is an entertaining hoax illustrating how vacuous the fashion industry can be. On the other hand, I have to take it with a grain of salt because the perpetrators got exactly what they wanted (recorded content for use in advertising), and the whole thing may have been a staged 'set-up'.

(Payless is an American shoe store chain specializing in inexpensive footwear.)

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/1...re-sells-20-shoes-for-hundreds/4131543592474/
If I'd have thought of it, I'd have done it...

A YouTuber was shot dead by unknown men during a tussle which ensued from a prank being filmed for social media, according to a TV report.

According to details, the trio behind Lahori Vines, including Rana Zuhair, Hasnat Ali and Abdul Saboor, was filming a video in which they were pranking people by scaring them while pretending to be a ghost.

However, things took a turn for the worse when they tried to prank a family in a park near Lytton Road. The men of the family did not find the prank funny and opened fire on Zuhaib, killing him instantly.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...n-lahore-after-social-media-prank-goes-wrong/

Three hours in the freezing cold for nothing. Surprised they didn't riot.

A Ukrainian prankster thought it would be a laugh to see how many people would turn up for a fake election rally on the promise of cash, and was surprised by the scale of the response.

Oleksiy Utkin used social media to offer 1,000 hryvnyas (£28; $37) of "easy money" to anyone willing to turn out in freezing conditions for three hours in support of Serhiy Filatov's bid to become president of Ukraine. They would get a bit more if they brought a friend, 1+1 TV reports. But the catch was that there was no candidate Filatov.

More than 200 people turned up on Kiev's popular Andriyivskyy Uzviz street, chanting pro-Filatov slogans on cue, unaware they they were being broadcast on the internet via Mr Uktin's web camera - and equally unaware that they were not going to be paid for their trouble. ...

The crowds dispersed without incident as night fell and no money appeared, so Oleksiy Utkin decided it was time to end the Filatov campaign. He rounded off the prank by announcing online that Serhiy Filatov had fallen down a drain and died, so the second round of rallies would be replaced by a wake. He received some commiserations on social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47215200

Could the "attack" have been a hoax/publicity stunt?

Chicago police have arrested two brothers in connection with the alleged attack on Empire actor Jussie Smollett.

The US TV star needed hospital treatment last month after a suspected racist and homophobic attack.

Police said on Friday they were questioning two Nigerian brothers for a second day. The men had worked as Empire extras, sometimes going to the gym with the actor, their lawyer said. Jussie Smollett said he'd been "forever changed" by the alleged attack.

The 36-year-old actor has said two white men hurling racial and homophobic insults punched him, poured a chemical substance over him, and put a rope around his neck on 29 January.

Earlier, police had dismissed local media reports that the alleged attack was a hoax, and said Mr Smollett continued to be treated as a victim, not a suspect.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47258348

Another vintage quality prank call from Tom Emeny .. NSFW for the F word being used a lot

Could the "attack" have been a hoax/publicity stunt?

Chicago police have arrested two brothers in connection with the alleged attack on Empire actor Jussie Smollett.

Earlier, police had dismissed local media reports that the alleged attack was a hoax, and said Mr Smollett continued to be treated as a victim, not a suspect.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47258348

Yeah, about that.

"Empire" star Jussie Smollett's bail was set at $100,000 Thursday, hours after the actor turned himself in to police on a felony charge of disorderly conduct in filing a false police report.

Police said in a press conference hours later that Smollett sent a "false letter that relied on racial, homophobic and political language" to himself and staged a hate crime attack in Chicago because he was "dissatisfied with his salary."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...ged-filing-false-police-report-506146501.html

Thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/did-actor-stage-his-own-racist-attack.65426/

Imagine my blushes as I innocently searched for a business address in our second city only to be confronted with this filth (NSFW):

FuckArchBrum_FTMB.png

As you can see from the photo at top left, the place is more traditionally known as Archway Academy ... presumably a disgruntled pupil or employee has been doing things they didn't oughta on the googles :)

A member of a conservative US group has been fired after projecting a doctored version of the presidential seal at an event featuring President Donald Trump.
A representative for the group, Turning Point USA, told the Washington Post that the fake seal was a mistake, the result of a rushed online search.
But while the group called the slip-up "unacceptable", they maintained there was no "malicious intent".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49116539

(Surrrrrre.)

A member of a conservative US group has been fired after projecting a doctored version of the presidential seal at an event featuring President Donald Trump.
A representative for the group, Turning Point USA, told the Washington Post that the fake seal was a mistake, the result of a rushed online search.
But while the group called the slip-up "unacceptable", they maintained there was no "malicious intent".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49116539

(Surrrrrre.)
The doctored one has 2 heads and is carrying golf clubs!

Rape suspect accused of faking his own death in the US is arrested

A Scottish father accused of faking his own death in the US to escape rape charges at home has been arrested, police have said.

Kim Avis, who is facing charges of alleged rape and a string of sexual assault offences, was captured by US marshals more than 1,000 miles from the spot of his supposed disappearance.

The 55-year-old busker was arrested on Friday morning in Colorado Springs five months after police were told by his 17-year-old son that he had failed to return from a swim at a beach on the Californian coast.

But no trace was found of Avis at Monastery Beach – dubbed “Mortuary Beach” because of the number of drownings there – and police began to suspect a hoax after three days of searching. Avis’s teenage son could not recall crucial details, including how the two got to California’s coast after flying to Los Angeles from Scotland.

“There was a lack of detail,” John Thornburg, Monterey county sheriff’s captain, said at the time. “The son, who reported it, couldn’t even tell us where he went in under the water.”

In March, Avis was spotted in Monterey county, northern California, driving a white Ford van. Yesterday, Monterey county sheriff’s office announced that Avis – also known as Ken Gordon-Avis – had been captured by US marshals, who are responsible for tracking down fugitives.

To be fair, I don't think we should blame the bank for this one but it's always fun watching Joe Lycett being Joe Lycett ..

Last edited:
I bloody love that guy. He does one where he gets a wrong text message, I am unsure if it is on here already tho

to climb a perilous slope
The lack of perilousness is (as mentioned in the article) is hintified-at by the angle of the dangle on 'is zip. Tisn't really a scarey slippy slope, more a slanty sneak-shot.

And if it was real....second line or belay stay: none. Crampons: questionable. Second *larger* axe, hung below him on lanyard: missing.

I call BS.

Absolutely inspired!

A series of identical monuments depicting a tourist being mauled by a pack of wolves have surreptitiously been installed in different New York City parks with plaques that read:

Dedicated to the many tourists that go missing every year in New York City.

And a reminder as to why the parks close at dusk.
Erected by the Ed Koch Wolf Foundation and the NYC Fellowship.

A brilliant prankster with mad sculpting skills is taking credit.

His "Ed Koch Wolf Foundation" reveals the fabricated backstory behind the statues:

In the late 1970s, New York Mayor Edward I. Koch launched an unprecedented campaign against subway graffiti. The city employed new guardians to patrol its vast train yards—wolves. Captured from upstate New York and set loose in various borough depots, the wolves successfully kept taggers at bay until anti-graffiti technology eliminated the need for the animals. At that point, the wolves migrated underground. Since then, wolf packs have survived and even thrived in New York’s labyrinthine tunnels, emerging in local parks only on occasion to hunt in the moonlight for live prey. In fact, the NYPD chalks up the majority of missing tourist reports each year to the city’s subterranean canine inhabitants.

Back