• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There's a subjective line where a prank becomes, "what sick f***er would do that?!"

Luckily in the UK we have s.5 of the Criminal Law Act 1967:

"Where a person causes any wasteful employment of the police by giv[ing] rise to apprehension for the safety of any persons, he shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for not more than six months..."

maximus otter

THIS STORY WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS THREAD:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-actual-wills-inheritances.30657/post-2128010

It turns out the originally posted story is something of a hoax or publicity stunt.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Editor’s note: AP is replacing the story about the sale of a Miami mansion once owned by Madonna with this piece, which looks at how the tale of a German shepherd and a trust has long been used as a publicity stunt to dupe reporters. The AP fell for parts of the stunt and is removing the erroneous story.

Below is the corrected / replacement story issued on 23 November.

Story about dog ‘selling’ mansion part of long-running tale

For more than 20 years, a line of German shepherds named Gunther has been presented in news stories as the wealthy beneficiaries of a German countess.

The story appears to be a ruse created by Maurizio Mian, the scion of an Italian pharmaceutical company, who has used the tale of the globe-trotting canine to promote real estate sales and other projects.

The Associated Press reported last week that a dog, Gunther VI, was selling a Miami mansion that it had purchased from Madonna for $7.5 million in 2000 for $31.75 million. The story cited claims from Gunther’s “handler” that the dog was from a long line of dogs bequeathed the fortune of a German countess.

While the mansion is in fact owned and being sold by the Gunther Corp., according to Miami-Dade County property records, the dog’s role appears to be little more than a joke that’s carried on for decades.

And there is no evidence of a German countess. ...

Mian told an Italian newspaper in 1995 that the countess “was just an invention to publicize the philosophy” of his foundation. Mian at other points has claimed his confessions about the countess are the real hoax and the dog stories are, in fact real.

Mian’s own money appears to have come from his family’s Italian pharmaceutical business. Istituto Gentili, which developed a treatment for the bone-weakening disease osteoporosis ...

Responding to questions from the AP Tuesday about the veracity of the story, Monica Tirado, director of the Gunther Group, said that Carla Riccitelli, who described herself to the AP as Gunther’s handler, is Mian’s “ex-partner.”

Tirado said that the company couldn’t answer further questions ...

This is just the latest in a string of tales about Gunther told by Mian.

In 1999, The Miami Herald reported that Gunther IV was trying to purchase a mansion from actor Sylvester Stallone. The next day, the Herald reported that it was just a publicity stunt. ...

In Mian’s tale of the dogs, the Gunthers are supposedly supported by a multi-million dollar trust set up by German countess Karlotta Liebenstein when she died in 1992 to care for her dog, Gunther III, and his progeny. The AP has found no evidence that Liebenstein existed.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/sports-o...style-europe-c1629fb79b02fe67392922687c2bf2fa

I'm presently this far toying with someone trying to scam me on bookface:

Leslie Hayward

Leslie Hayward
You're friends on Facebook

02:16​

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Hello how are you there

Enter

12:10​

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

??

Enter

13:58​

You sent​

About the same as most other places Leslie. How are you?.

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

I saw your name on CBN list have you also heard from them?,x

Enter

You sent​

They won't leave me alone tbh .. what are they saying now?

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

It's about the New Year Giveaway is giving to randomly selected People to take care of kids,buy houses, pay rents and Maintain the standard of living Have you heard from them?.xx

Enter

You sent​

I'm in regular contact with them Leslie.

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

I got £20.000 delivered to me from them after I applied and I paid them for charges, case file, and I saw your name on their winner's list. I think you have to talk to the agent in charge of the winnings programs and apply to get

Enter

You sent​

They're a good laugh
1f643.png

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

You can also apply for it did you know how to do that it you need help.x

Enter

You sent​

How are you going to spend all that cash then?

Enter

You sent

Me? .. I'd buy a new car. Nothing flash .. what about you?

Enter

Leslie​

*virus laden link*

Enter

Leslie
Leslie Hayward

just click on it and tell them that you are ready to claim your winning money now

Enter

You sent​

But what if it's a dodgy link that could give me a virus? .. I'm a bit nervous of that to be honest Leslie ..

Enter

You sent

Please send me a pic of you doing it to put my mind at rest

Seen by Leslie Hayward at 14:07

Leslie Hayward

Leslie Hayward

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Hello how are you there

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

??

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

It's about the New Year Giveaway is giving to randomly selected People to take care of kids,buy houses, pay rents and Maintain the standard of living Have you heard from them?.xx

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

I got £20.000 delivered to me from them after I applied and I paid them for charges, case file, and I saw your name on their winner's list. I think you have to talk to the agent in charge of the winnings programs and apply to get

Enter

You sent​

They're a good laugh
1f643.png

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

You sent

Enter

Leslie​

*virus laden link*

Enter

Leslie
Leslie Hayward

just click on it and tell them that you are ready to claim your winning money now

Enter

You sent​

But what if it's a dodgy link that could give me a virus? .. I'm a bit nervous of that to be honest Leslie ..

Enter

You sent

Lol. Nicely played.

Lol. Nicely played.
Ta :) .. fuck knows who 'Leslie' is but he/she needs to find a job that instead doesn't involve telling lies (thank you John Graveling .. you bombed someone once doing this with those exact words) ..

A South Carolina man thought it would be funny to attack random people on the street with plates of whipped cream. He thought it would be cool to record his shenanigans for his YouTube channel. He's about to learn how wrong his thinking apparently was.
Cops Hunting For Man Who's Been Hitting People with Plates of Whipped Cream

A serial attacker is on the loose in Greenville, South Carolina. His weapon of choice? A plate full of whipped cream. According to reports, the local cops have identified a man named Andre Eugene Moore-Gerald as the primary suspect for a string of assaults that began on Wednesday. Apparently, Moore-Gerald picked his victims at random and approached them while they were walking down the street before leaving them with a face full of white whipped cream. One of his victims was a woman who had been pushing her child down the road in a stroller, near the Main Street bridge.

Moore-Gerald might have gotten away with the theatrics had he not posted a photo of himself on social media holding a plate full of whipped cream. Because up until that point, the cops failed to identify him.

“He looks to be recording [the whipped cream attacks] with other people who are with him and we have later found that he’s been posting those on a YouTube channel,” said Greenville Police Sgt. Johnathan Bragg. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.vladtv.com/article/2822...n-hitting-people-with-plates-of-whipped-cream

I've just found this scam confession from someone on fesshole ..

* CLEVER BUT EVIL - "When attending a customer's
home as a tradesman I'll often hand them a five
pound note as they answer the door and claim it
must belong to them as I found it on the path.
The instant trust this creates makes it a lot
easier to overcharge them later on."

"Welcome to where!?"

'Welcome to Luton' stunt panics Gatwick Airport arrivals​

Published7 hours ago

Abbey Desmond noticed the sign as she was flying into Gatwick Airport and was left confused that she might be at Luton
Air passengers have been left panicked and confused after a "Welcome to Luton" sign appeared near Gatwick Airport.
The 60m (197ft) sign is visible on the approach to Gatwick - which is about 60 miles south of Luton.
Abbey Desmond, from Great Dunmow, Essex, said when she spotted it out of the window on landing it left her in a "state of panic".
The stunt has been claimed by YouTube prankster Max Fosh, who apologised if "anyone has been seriously thrown".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...xQsdI3BG0NMssU5OlcFdnIXKHHZ00bqeXxq3WjDIQeluE

Leslie Hayward

Leslie Hayward

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Hello how are you there

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

??

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

They're a good laugh
1f643.png

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

You sent

Enter

Leslie​

*virus laden link*

Enter

Leslie
Leslie Hayward

Enter

You sent​

Enter

You sent

The eat me beat me lady is back! .. 'Leslie Hayward' has decided to have a second go:

Hi u there

Enter

You sent​

Sup Leslie .. U OK? .. haven't heard from U in a while?

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

What is going on with your winning money now

Enter

You sent​

They sent it all to me thanks to you XX do want some? .. I haven't got time to spend it all

Enter

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Have you message them

Enter

You sent​

Didn't even have to .. fancy going out for a drink? .. I owe you one
1f60e.png

Enter

14 May 2022, 08:53​

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

Hello good morning

Enter

Mon 12:13​

Leslie​

Leslie Hayward

??

People stressed out by skyrocketing inflation in Zimbabwe apparently fell for a rumor others were selling their toes for cash.
Toes-for-cash hoax reflects Zimbabwe fears of soaring prices

Battling rampant inflation, Zimbabweans are counting their toes as they struggle to buy food for their families.

An internet rumor blazed through the country that desperate people were selling their toes for cash. The false report became so widespread that the country’s Deputy Minister of Information Kindness Paradza visited street vendors in central Harare earlier this month to debunk it.

One-by-one the traders took off their shoes to show that they had all 10 toes, as Zimbabwe’s state media recorded the digital investigation.

Paradza declared the toes-for-money story a hoax, as did local and foreign fact-checkers. Police later arrested a street vendor who now faces a fine or 6 months in jail on charges of criminal nuisance for allegedly starting the story. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...frica-harare-983ecc04eb09e38a0c4ba0b49afc51fa

It does create fulgurites, a sort of fused-together sand. I believe they are generally below the surface of the sand though, not exposed like this.

Yep ... Fulgurites are a real phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgurite
I've seen fulgurites in the Cornell Museum of glass. They are pretty small, a few inches, and like tubes, not much detailed branching like this. The above picture is a sand sculpture. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/photo-of-sand-after-hit-by-lightning/

This Twitter account as well as many MANY other "science and nature" or other photo-tweeting accounts have thousands of followers and regularly show obvious fakes. No effort is made to research the photos.

I've seen fulgurites in the Cornell Museum of glass. They are pretty small, a few inches, and like tubes, not much detailed branching like this. The above picture is a sand sculpture. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/photo-of-sand-after-hit-by-lightning/

This Twitter account as well as many MANY other "science and nature" or other photo-tweeting accounts have thousands of followers and regularly show obvious fakes. No effort is made to research the photos.
You're right. That's why I posted this in this thread. I was surprised how many people just say "oh wow" and retweet. And it made me think about how many times I myself don't think about what I see or read on the internet.

Back