• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hogan's Heroes Star Bob Crane's Mysterious Murder

Bob Crane's son has a site up that puts up his side of the story

http://bobcrane.com/

And in a way, I agree that a "Swinging" lifestyle of adults engaged in consensual acts should not warrent murder, which is kinda what the film tried to say....

Crane's Funniest Home Videos

According to the above link to his son's website, there are photos and videos available on there. 'Dad makes me so proud!' :eek:

Re: Crane's Funniest Home Videos

lennynero said:
According to the above link to his son's website, there are photos and videos available on there. 'Dad makes me so proud!' :eek:

where did mis something?

One of my favourite telly programmes when I were a lad was Hogan's Heroes, and I have been enjoying the occasional re run . What I hadn't realised until recently was that Bob Crane who played Hogan was murdered in his flat a the age of 49. Apparently bludgeoned to death in his sleep, his body was removed from his bed and a length of cord tied in a bow round his neck. Crane was apparently a bit of a ladies' man and filmed his sexual exploits in the flat and suspicion fell on jealous boyfriends and husbands, as well as a friend of his. The latter was tried and found not guilty and died soon after. The case has weirdly never been solved.
Incidentally many members of the cast had fascinating histories, Clary who played Lebeau survived a concentration camp and others only escaped the Nazi regime by the skin of their teeth. One wonders why they wanted to partake in the series(money aside of course).

One of my favourite telly programmes when I were a lad was Hogan's Heroes, and I have been enjoying the occasional re run . What I hadn't realised until recently was that Bob Crane who played Hogan was murdered in his flat a the age of 49. Apparently bludgeoned to death in his sleep, his body was removed from his bed and a length of cord tied in a bow round his neck. Crane was apparently a bit of a ladies' man and filmed his sexual exploits in the flat and suspicion fell on jealous boyfriends and husbands, as well as a friend of his. The latter was tried and found not guilty and died soon after. The case has weirdly never been solved.
Incidentally many members of the cast had fascinating histories, Clary who played Lebeau survived a concentration camp and others only escaped the Nazi regime by the skin of their teeth. One wonders why they wanted to partake in the series(money aside of course).
Don't know about Clary, but Werner Klemperer agreed to do it on the sole proviso that the Nazis were always the butt of the joke, and Klink never won out. Since his father was quite famous for leaving Germany when the Nazis got in, that's not terribly surprising.

One wonders why they wanted to partake in the series(money aside of course).

I think it was for the same reason Mel Brooks made Nazis look like buffoons whenever he got the chance. Nothing takes the wind out of arrogant fascists like being made fun of.

I think it was for the same reason Mel Brooks made Nazis look like buffoons whenever he got the chance. Nothing takes the wind out of arrogant fascists like being made fun of.

Yes, the Nazis were supposedly furious about Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not To Be in 1942, a comedy that took no prisoners in its lampooning of them. Jack Benny and Carole Lombard were the stars, huge celebrities at the time. Back then it was accused of bad taste - now it looks incredibly brave (and it is very funny, which helps).

It is indeed very funny, and Mel Brooks remake is even funnier. Sweet Georgia Brown as a Yiddish song and dance number is on my list of top movie moments.

Back