• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Home Shriek Home

peejam

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
There were three floors of corridors that consisted of eight separate rooms – four either side. The corridors were dimly lit by faulty lightbulbs, which gave the bright red laundry boxes I’d placed outside each room two hours beforehand a stuttering glow.

The two o’ clock round was my favourite. The fresh waft created as I pushed the laundry-laden trolley along the corridors provided temporary respite from the otherwise omnipresent scent of urine, faeces and death.

When I had started the job, aged seventeen, I was assured I would grow accustomed to these smells. I was now nineteen. I was also told I would become used to undertaking the ‘personal care’.

I’m not sure what kind of monster becomes accustomed to the cowering shame in an old man’s eyes as he farts and follows through whilst you lift him from his wheelchair to the toilet; his face perennially flecked with picked scratches in various stages of healing, destined to be inflicted fortnightly with the razor of an inept careless assistant on the minimum wage.

A wealth of humiliation already. And that’s before you’ve pulled his stained pants down, stood and watched him strain through piles for fifteen minutes, then listened to him stoically gasp through the stings of your tentative dabbing / jabbing of his raw and tender testicles with a jay cloth.

All of this backed by a soundtrack of clicking dentures, rattling Zimmer frames and the agonised laments of his fellow banshees of burden wailing their surreal, senile nonsense.

Hell is the place on the precipice of death.

Anyway, I digress.

The pot pourri pleasantries gradually diminished from the trolley with each delivery of clean laundry.

As I neatly placed the folded clothes into the final box, I squinted in the dingy light.

As I slowly straightened up, out of the corner of my eye, through the glass of the door at the end of the corridor, I spied an old woman I didn’t recognise.

She was rotund. She wore a tight-fitting pale blue dress patterned with multi-coloured flowers. And she was smiling.

I blinked. She disappeared.

I shook my head. I was tired. I returned to the office.

The following night, I returned to work for my next shift. The evening staff were finishing up. Except for one, a near-retirement nurse who stood outside the entrance having a cigarette.

“Good shift?” I enquired.

“Bit weird, actually. Don’t be surprised if someone dies tonight.”

“Oh? How come?”

“I think we’re due a collection.”

I blinked at her, nonplussed.

“I think I saw a ghost.” She explained.

I blinked at her, incredulous.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, though. She seemed friendly enough… she was very colourful.”

I hadn’t breathed a word of what I'd seen to anyone.

Yet what she then described was precisely the same as I'd seen the night before.

There were three floors of corridors that consisted of eight separate rooms – four either side. The corridors were dimly lit by faulty lightbulbs, which gave the bright red laundry boxes I’d placed outside each room two hours beforehand a stuttering glow.

The two o’ clock round was my favourite. The fresh waft created as I pushed the laundry-laden trolley along the corridors provided temporary respite from the otherwise omnipresent scent of urine, faeces and death.

When I had started the job, aged seventeen, I was assured I would grow accustomed to these smells. I was now nineteen. I was also told I would become used to undertaking the ‘personal care’.

I’m not sure what kind of monster becomes accustomed to the cowering shame in an old man’s eyes as he farts and follows through whilst you lift him from his wheelchair to the toilet; his face perennially flecked with picked scratches in various stages of healing, destined to be inflicted fortnightly with the razor of an inept careless assistant on the minimum wage.

A wealth of humiliation already. And that’s before you’ve pulled his stained pants down, stood and watched him strain through piles for fifteen minutes, then listened to him stoically gasp through the stings of your tentative dabbing / jabbing of his raw and tender testicles with a jay cloth.

All of this backed by a soundtrack of clicking dentures, rattling Zimmer frames and the agonised laments of his fellow banshees of burden wailing their surreal, senile nonsense.

Anyway, I digress.

The pot pourri pleasantries gradually diminished from the trolley with each delivery of clean laundry.

As I neatly placed the folded clothes into the final box, I squinted in the dingy light.

As I slowly straightened up, out of the corner of my eye, through the glass of the door at the end of the corridor, I spied an old woman I didn’t recognise.

She was rotund. She wore a tight-fitting pale blue dress patterned with multi-coloured flowers. And she was smiling.

The following night, I returned to work for my next shift. The evening staff were finishing up. Except for one, a near-retirement nurse who stood outside the entrance having a cigarette.

“Oh? How come?”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, though. She seemed friendly enough… she was very colourful.”

Yet what she then described was precisely the same as I'd seen the night before.

LOL ..No offence intended but I think you made the correct choice getting out of care work, it's pretty rank, I had to drag a dead guy across his kitchen floor a few years back after I'd been chatting with him twice a day for nearly two years (the 'dragging' part was for resus reasons with people on the telephone, I started writing a story about it but couldn't continue writing the story or bring him back to life) .. 'The Ballad of John Marroti' ... I've got one page into it and given up but I can email it to you if you want ..

LOL ..No offence intended but I think you made the correct choice getting out of care work, it's pretty rank, I had to drag a dead guy across his kitchen floor a few years back after I'd been chatting with him twice a day for nearly two years (the 'dragging' part was for resus reasons with people on the telephone, I started writing a story about it but couldn't continue writing the story or bring him back to life) .. 'The Ballad of John Marroti' ... I've got one page into it and given up but I can email it to you if you want ..

The money isn't bad but the "eww" factor is a bit much. My own experiences in the industry were less awful. But hey, peejam got to see a ghost!

Care work must be one of the most underpaid, undervalued jobs going. Physically and mentally demanding and you can be personally prosecuted if things go wrong. It's not difficult to imagine why there is a shortage of carers in the Uk.

Anyway, I digress.

“Oh? How come?”

“Really?”

That place sounds like a proper dump.

I've always said you can tell a bad nursing home if it smells of pee the moment you walk in.

Yup, I give people a checklist when they're looking for a care home for relations and the smell of a place is top of it.
Most care homes these days have a carpet cleaning machine that's in use more or less permanently so that all potentially smelly carpets are deep-cleaned a couple of times a week.

Yup, I give people a checklist when they're looking for a care home for relations and the smell of a place is top of it.
Most care homes these days have a carpet cleaning machine that's in use more or less permanently so that all potentially smelly carpets are deep-cleaned a couple of times a week.

My top three are the smell, staffing and residents. If staff are happy and have access to training, (NVQ etc), the place smells good and the folks are all well dressed, (I hate seeing people dressed like bloody clowns or they look shabby), and clean then it's usually a good place.

They should employ me and you as Hotel Inspector type hosts on a TV show that turns around crap nursing homes.

Actually throw in Swifty too. We could send him in undercover and see what he unearths.

I'd advise people to grill other visitors on the car park away from staff!
Also, on the subject of dress, female residents should be wearing bras. If they're not then they're being treated without dignity.
You should also see hoists being moved around and being plugged in and charged up.

Back