• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Homes You Wouldn't Want: Houses With Creepy Atmospheres

Wombat68

I'll be chilling at Booya Moon
I've been looking at houses to buy over the last couple of months. Does anyone get the feeling that they can or can't live somewhere as soon as they enter a property. One of the houses I viewed which was a new build felt so horrible I made my excuses and left Mr Wombat thinks I've lost it he really should know me by now. I'm finding that I can get this feeling just from photo's of the houses online now so it's saving us wasted journeys. Bizarrely the house we're going to have a second viewing of looks like it should definitely be haunted.:eek:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this story on here before.

When I was maybe 10 or so, my grandmother, uncle, mom, and I all went looking for a different house to rent. There was one...

It was in a nice neighborhood, big park nearby, all that stuff. We go up to the front door and the realtor isn't there. We go around to the back and knock lightly. IIRC, I just started acting agitated or something and I finally spoke up and said something along the lines of, "This place doesn't feel right."

Whelp, that confirmed the suspicions of the adults present. Turns out they all had misgivings about being there, but fortunately that side of the family actually paid attention when a kid feels something out of the ordinary.

We didn't even bother waiting for the realtor, just booked it out of there. Oddly enough, the realtor never contacted my grandmother to set up another showing or anything.

I don't know what it was, but that place was dark and foreboding. It was a sense of "something happened here..."

Way back a friend of mine, a down to earth soul not given to fanciful notions, told me of a time that she and her parents had been house hunting on the Isle of Wight. They'd not tarried long in one house even though in many respects it was just what they were looking for. It wasn't until they left that they confessed their misgivings to each other and all had sensed that something really nasty had happened there. The bathroom in particular had seemed really sinister. They never got anything confirmed or denied, the feeling was that they didn't really want to know!

House hunting is tricky, your biggest purchase and the least amount of time to consider. A search based on your list of 'must haves, would like, must not have, can put up with' very quickly turns from excited anticipation to dissapointment as there is practically nothing in your price range. The one that did tick all the right boxes on closer insection just doesn't feel right. So in desperation you look at anything that you can actually afford and what do you know but you'll walk into a house that although nothing like what you'd hoped for or imagined suddenly seems 'right'. The subconscious is at play here pay it heed!

Last edited:
Years ago we went to view a house. We knocked on the door, the lady answered it and let us in. I hesitated but went in with the OH. The house wasn't for us, but it felt like we literally didn't want to enter. Some years later I was chatting to a lady I met whilst out dog walking. I asked where she lived, she told me this avenue, I told her about the property which gave this feeling of being blocked. Oh she said-I bought that house. Suits me fine. Turns out this woman that let us in had an abusive controlling husband. So, I'd say if you get a bad feeling about a place then listen to it.

Years ago we went to view a house. We knocked on the door, the lady answered it and let us in. I hesitated but went in with the OH. The house wasn't for us, but it felt like we literally didn't want to enter. Some years later I was chatting to a lady I met whilst out dog walking. I asked where she lived, she told me this avenue, I told her about the property which gave this feeling of being blocked. Oh she said-I bought that house. Suits me fine. Turns out this woman that let us in had an abusive controlling husband. So, I'd say if you get a bad feeling about a place then listen to it.
Surely the abusive controlling husband didn't come with the house though?

My current home is known locally as the 'unlucky' house because the last few families living in it had awful bad luck.

The immediately previous owners lost the house when they suffered various disasters and couldn't pay the mortgage.

Things went wrong for my family too. It was like Eastenders for years.

One day during a spot of garden remodelling I came across a pair of scissors buried under a step, wide open, the points towards the back of the house.

Dug them out and binned them, if only because they were dirty nasty rusty rubbish, and I have to say things improved.

My current home is known locally as the 'unlucky' house because the last few families living in it had awful bad luck.

The immediately previous owners lost the house when they suffered various disasters and couldn't pay the mortgage.

Things went wrong for my family too. It was like Eastenders for years.

One day during a spot of garden remodelling I came across a pair of scissors buried under a step, wide open, the points towards the back of the house.

Dug them out and binned them, if only because they were dirty nasty rusty rubbish, and I have to say things improved.
A genuine curse on the house? :omg: Who would do such a thing?

My only contribution on here is the story that my partner and I once looked at a house, a late 19th Century terraced house, which was in a pretty dilapidated state, a fact that was reflected in the comparatively low price being asked. I felt creeped out walking around, and could barely conceal my dislike for the place. As we headed back to the car, I said "no way could I ever live in that house". Cut to 32 years later, and I am sitting in the lounge of that same house as I type this. Despite my misgivings, we bought it, worked hard on it and made it ours. It still creeps me out sometimes - but only very occasionally, and happily I can live with that - literally.

To be honest, the way the housing market is going at the moment, unless you are a millionaire there is very little opportunity to 'not like the atmosphere' in a house. If you see it, you can afford it and fifty thousand other people aren't trying to buy it for ten thousand more in cash than it's worth, then you are lucky. Spooky, huh, you're just lucky if it's got a roof.

It's funny (I've mentioned before on another thread) how I know if a house is right or not. Could be a three hundred year old place and perfectly fine, or ten years old and definitely not. Sometimes I 'know' just from looking at the outside as well.

I've always known as soon as walking into a house or any building really that there's something odd about it I get a feeling of it being haunted for want of a better word. Recently I've been amusing myself by looking at houses for sale on Rightmove I'm probably just being nosey looking how the other half lives :) and I've found I get the that's haunted feeling from some of the houses without having to physically be there. Has this happened to anyone else??

I've always known as soon as walking into a house or any building really that there's something odd about it I get a feeling of it being haunted for want of a better word. Recently I've been amusing myself by looking at houses for sale on Rightmove I'm probably just being nosey looking how the other half lives :) and I've found I get the that's haunted feeling from some of the houses without having to physically be there. Has this happened to anyone else??
I've always known, upon walking into the front door of a house, if it is full of happiness or not, I will get a warm feeling if it's ok.
I will never move into a home that gives me a 'chilly' or unhappy vibe at the door, and that has happened.
Years ago we moved into a small cottage where we stayed for a number of years, I knew the second I walked in that we would be very happy there.
The night before we moved, I went over to vacuum the upstairs before the furniture came the next morning.
I was busy vacuuming the rug and could feel someone walk up behind me, a woman. But no one was there. I turned off the vacuum and ran.
After we had moved in, an elderly neighbor told me that a woman had been living in that cottage for many years, and had passed on.
I think she came to check me out, she never frightened me again.

There's definitely something about houses having a 'personality', I suppose you could say. I looked at three or four houses before buying this one. It just felt right as soon as I set foot in it and I've had no regrets about moving here. As a bonus it's just a few minutes from the sea and there are two supermarkets within walking distance.
It was built somewhere around the first decade of the last century so there's a good chance someone has died in it but nothing untoward has happened.

I have the psychic awareness of a brick, but I do believe in houses having a character of their own. When I first took possession of the house I live in now, I made certain to pour wine and salt over the doorstep before I moved in, and also I walked in and told the house that I was here to look after it now. Apart from odd cupboard and window openings and closings, I have no reason to believe that there's anything in here with me, apart from the dog.

I have the psychic awareness of a brick, but I do believe in houses having a character of their own. When I first took possession of the house I live in now, I made certain to pour wine and salt over the doorstep before I moved in, and also I walked in and told the house that I was here to look after it now. Apart from odd cupboard and window openings and closings, I have no reason to believe that there's anything in here with me, apart from the dog.
Wow, we had a landlord who would walk around and around the house, pouring salt as he did so.
He told us it was to ward off any evil, I had never heard that before.

I've been looking at houses online and have noticed a few photos with poor lighting, orbs etc. They definitely have a 'vibe' about them.

Wow, we had a landlord who would walk around and around the house, pouring salt as he did so.
He told us it was to ward off any evil, I had never heard that before.
When I moved into this house 20 years ago, I found that the previous owner had poured a line of salt round the outside and there was a crystal hanging down over the door to the conservatory. The kitchen window had wind chimes hanging up.
Nothing weird has happened, other than noises (oh, and the dodgy phone). The noises were for me a mystery for years, but now I know it's to do with the heating and cooling cycles in the structure of the house.

Was that to keep something out, or to keep something in...

maximus otter
Hard to tell, he was quite strange. Dumped his beautiful, educated wife for a large woman from the old country, and while hiding out with her in the house, he would park his car blocks away so that no one knew he was home. Sold his business and kept his lights turned off, permanently. Used to turn off the water service to our cottage in the back of his house, until we called the police to have it turned back on. One day no one could find him, his sister was a friend of mine and was frantically looking for him, turned out he had run back to the old country with the large one, bought some condos and no one has heard from him since.
Strange.

Hard to tell, he was quite strange. Dumped his beautiful, educated wife for a large woman from the old country, and while hiding out with her in the house, he would park his car blocks away so that no one knew he was home. Sold his business and kept his lights turned off, permanently. Used to turn off the water service to our cottage in the back of his house, until we called the police to have it turned back on. One day no one could find him, his sister was a friend of mine and was frantically looking for him, turned out he had run back to the old country with the large one, bought some condos and no one has heard from him since.
Strange.
The old country?

So odd - if I say 'he's the bomb' to someone three towns over, they have no idea what I mean.
And the meaning is 'he's the greatest'.
I think many Londoners would understand that.
It's a phrase that has been widely used in New York Hip Hop records for decades.

LeFrak City's Akinyele was using it in the 1990's

"It's the bomb, baby. The bomb, baby. With no ifs, no ands, no buts, and no maybes."

Back