• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Homes You Wouldn't Want: Houses With Creepy Atmospheres

Scarily, it can happen. About 10 years ago I nearly stepped into the path of a speeding car. To me it just seemed to appear from nowhere. I was saved by a friend who grabbed my sleeve to stop me taking another step. It missed me by centimetres. I was really shaken. But I think I learnt a lesson that day.
That was very lucky then.

I wonder if a lot of accidents/near accidents (not necassarily your near miss) is because as we get older things become more mundane- after doing them year in year out- we don't concentrate as much as we would have once done, through the sheer monotony of a large part of life?

That was very lucky then.

I wonder if a lot of accidents/near accidents (not necassarily your near miss) is because as we get older things become more mundane- after doing them year in year out- we don't concentrate as much as we would have once done, through the sheer monotony of a large part of life?
This happens on the railway now and then. There's a reason you get arrested for trespassing; it's for your own good. It's dangerous.

Railway worker are sometimes injured or killed in accidents caused by inattention. My old boss used to tell us about three Liverpool railway workers who stepped in front of a train because, it seems, they were busy chatting about which pie shop to try for lunch and forgot to look both ways. :(

We had a week in a holiday home (an old mill of some sort) near Inverness a few years ago. Two bedrooms one of which faced out onto a cleared area where the deer came to feed in the evening. The other had a rural view but including other cottages, etc.

I would normally have gone for the former but as soon as I walked in that room I couldn't wait to get out. I didn't want to alarm Mrs T so just asked which she preferred. The decor in the OK room was newer so I asked whether she would prefer that, and to my relief she said yes.

The rest of the place was fine, I could stand outside that room with no problem. We shoved the cases in it and had no cause to go in it again until we left and I collected the cases. Broad daylight and I still couldn't wait to get out of there.

No idea why.

A
We had a week in a holiday home (an old mill of some sort) near Inverness a few years ago. Two bedrooms one of which faced out onto a cleared area where the deer came to feed in the evening. The other had a rural view but including other cottages, etc.

I would normally have gone for the former but as soon as I walked in that room I couldn't wait to get out. I didn't want to alarm Mrs T so just asked which she preferred. The decor in the OK room was newer so I asked whether she would prefer that, and to my relief she said yes.

The rest of the place was fine, I could stand outside that room with no problem. We shoved the cases in it and had no cause to go in it again until we left and I collected the cases. Broad daylight and I still couldn't wait to get out of there.

No idea why.
A few years ago MrsF and her parents went to a holiday home in Anglesey. When outside one day, MrsF looked inside and saw a woman dressed in a bonnet walk past the window.
Footsteps were also heard in the building.
Before leaving, they checked the visitors book and no end of people had written "love the ghost!" Etc.

A

A few years ago MrsF and her parents went to a holiday home in Anglesey. When outside one day, MrsF looked inside and saw a woman dressed in a bonnet walk past the window.
Before leaving, they checked the visitors book and no end of people had written "love the ghost!" Etc.
I will be needing the address please thank you.
No rush, now'll do.

No rush, now'll do.
Not while on my phone. All hell will break loose. Got enough problems just typing on this thing!
I shall send you the details- map etc on the morrow.
(Ps I don't think it was the cheapest of places- you'd need 3 or 4 of you to get your money's worth really).

A

I used to live in Anglesey and there are many sinister places about the island - it's certainly the kind of landscape that requires you give yourself a stern talking too from time to time.

Not while on my phone. All hell will break loose. Got enough problems just typing on this thing!
I shall send you the details- map etc on the morrow.
(Ps I don't think it was the cheapest of places- you'd need 3 or 4 of you to get your money's worth really).
Thank you! :curt:

My work takes me to Anglesey now and then. I get on well with workmates from there. They might have heard of the place! :)

Fridges,ovens,kettles,toasters,alarm clocks,printers,freezers,washing machines,boilers,heaters,light bulbs,lamps......?
Always a middle way. Never heard of a boiler going, don't care about a toaster going, yes I unplug the computer and related stuff. Welcome to upstate NY in August.

Thank you! :curt:

My work takes me to Anglesey now and then. I get on well with workmates from there. They might have heard of the place! :)
No problem. I've just woken MrsF up to ask her what info she needs to sort Rollo out (Tempest's dog) and whether she has the address of the haunted place. She'll get it tomorrow. It's in Moelfre.

Always a middle way. Never heard of a boiler going, don't care about a toaster going, yes I unplug the computer and related stuff. Welcome to upstate NY in August.
What's Woodstock like? Always wanted to go there. Does Bob still own a place around there?

What's Woodstock like? Always wanted to go there. Does Bob still own a place around there?
Well, not actually upstate. From the point of view of people living in NYC, everything north of Westchester is upstate, and Woodstock isn't even half way to the Canadian border. But it's very pretty with high property values. You can commute to the city from Woodstock if you put your mind to it.

No rush, now'll do.
I used to live in Anglesey and there are many sinister places about the island - it's certainly the kind of landscape that requires you give yourself a stern talking too from time to time.
Aber farm Moelfre;
moe.png

Oh I SAY!
Many thanks once again.:hoff:

I will be sure to ask my Welsh colleagues at the earliest opportunity about this important matter. :cool:

Already practicing the appropriate pronunciations with a sugary gargle. :evillaugh:
No problem.
I'd forgotten that she actually went twice. The quarry nearby was a bit annoying due to the noise all day and the first time they went, someone turned up to empty the septic tank but got their vehicle stuck in the lane, then some cows escaped and surrounded the place......

Oh I SAY!
Many thanks once again.:hoff:

I will be sure to ask my Welsh colleagues at the earliest opportunity about this important matter. :cool:

Already practicing the appropriate pronunciations with a sugary gargle. :evillaugh:
Lemmy from Motorhead went to school around there.

Ah now that would be an Avanti service south to Crewe and a Transport for Wales connection to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch followed by a local bus which I'll have to look up.
Certainly better than the A55.

Back