• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Homo erectus

Xantek, Most anthropologists strongly believe that homo Sapiens do have some Neanderthal traits. Besides carrying up to 5 percent of Neanderthal genes, red hair and freckles are believed to also have come from Neanderthal stock. I went to college with a fellow who exhibited classic Neanderthal features in his face and head. However his slender average tall stance didn't match. He was congenial and quite bright. But remove the skin from his head and you would have had a classic Neanderthal skull, brow ridges and all. I don't really think we are as far removed from our Neanderthal ancestor as most scientists would have you think.
I've seen a few too, and they pretty much all have red hair.
It's entirely possible that even a tiny amount of Neanderthal DNA resurfaces in some people, even though their relatives may not express these traits. That tiny amount may be enough to display classic Neanderthal characteristics.

Were any of them female?

I saw the reconstruction of a Neanderthal female youngster. Comb her hair and put her in classic female child's clothes and she would not have stood out in any 4th grade class. I taught school over 40 years and I had children that could have been her sisters. They really are basically Homo sapiens. The difference in body build and skull shape is not so severe that I haven't seen similar in the general Homo-sapien crowd.

I saw the reconstruction of a Neanderthal female youngster. Comb her hair and put her in classic female child's clothes and she would not have stood out in any 4th grade class. I taught school over 40 years and I had children that could have been her sisters. They really are basically Homo sapiens. The difference in body build and skull shape is not so severe that I haven't seen similar in the general Homo-sapien crowd.
This?
neandERTHALchildT.jpg

Yeah, doesn't look too out of place.

Absolutely not. In fact she is rather attractive. Though I have to figure her features would be more coarse as she matured.

The "absolutely not" was referring to whether she would stand out. You have the right picture. My opinion is that Neanderthal is Homo- Sapiens Neanderthal.

That is also their official designation.

Good. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the tip.

It’s not the size of your brain, it’s how you organise it. The most recently discovered species of early human had a skull only slightly larger than a chimpanzee’s, but its brain looked surprisingly like our own – particularly in an area of the frontal lobe with links to language.

This could back suggestions that these mysterious early humans showed advanced behaviours, such as teamwork and burial, even though we still don’t know exactly when they lived.

In 2013, news broke of an extraordinary discovery in a chamber deep inside a South African cave. Researchers led by Lee Berger at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg had discovered thousands of ancient human fossils – comfortably the largest cache of its kind ever found in Africa.

The first official scientific reports were published in 2015, and they painted a confusing picture. The bones belonged to a never-before-seen early human, which was named Homo naledi. ...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1493111029

This?
neandERTHALchildT.jpg

Yeah, doesn't look too out of place.

That's one common recreation, as is this one.
The obvious traits for Neanderthals, given their adaptation to cold climates and a tough environment, are a fair skin and blonde or ginger hair and a stocky physique.

IMG_0253.JPG

I've seen women like that in the high street.

The lower one is obviously neanderthal Shakira.

They look like human botoxed plastic surgery disasters.

It is now pretty much accepted that white skin and light colored hair are the result of a need for vitamin D. Stockiness preserves body heat another adaptation of northern life. I usually get the argument that Eskimos are not white. But you must remember adaptation takes time. The more time the better. Eskimos have only been in the far north a few thousand years. Neanderthals lived there for a hundred thousand years or more. You can also blame the Neanderthal for your freckles and red hair; though many must have been blonde. Neanderthals are not extinct. They are us.

It is now pretty much accepted that white skin and light colored hair are the result of a need for vitamin D. Stockiness preserves body heat another adaptation of northern life. I usually get the argument that Eskimos are not white. But you must remember adaptation takes time. The more time the better. Eskimos have only been in the far north a few thousand years. Neanderthals lived there for a hundred thousand years or more. You can also blame the Neanderthal for your freckles and red hair; though many must have been blonde. Neanderthals are not extinct. They are us.

You're right Brig - Eskimo's (sic) have shovel shaped incisors, no third erupting molars, and have epicanthic folds, so no, They're not white.

Give them 100,000 years and they may be.

He meant pale-skinned white, not european white.

White is just a color. Human coloration is generally a result of environment. Let's not make it political.

Interesting though that in the majority of cultures, pale skin has a higher social estimation.
This is probably a 'class' thing. In most cultures, the peasants who have to labour in the fields get darker skin from exposure to sun and wind, while the aristocracy shelter from the elements in their big houses. The ladies protect their faces from the sun with big hats and/or parasols.

This is probably a 'class' thing. In most cultures, the peasants who have to labour in the fields get darker skin from exposure to sun and wind, while the aristocracy shelter from the elements in their big houses. The ladies protect their faces from the sun with big hats and/or parasols.
Yep. In India particularly, 'high caste' people can often be almost as pale as someone from Europe.

Sad to say it's happening in some Land Councils here in Australia with some of the blacker Aborigines being called Myalls (living traditionally).

So what's wrong with living traditionally?

Portugal? Do tell.

I was in the pub chatting with a junior doctor who was half Portuguese, told us that there was a hospital domestic who speaks to him in a vaguely superior way because his surname is of a higher status than the doctor's (bit of background, the domestic is a bit of a prick apparently anyway).

I'd never heard of anything like this so I asked him a bit more, he said that there was 'a sort of a class/caste system in Portugal', he added that it's not as rigid as elsewhere, but that it was there. That's all I know.

Back