• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hoodies

crunchy5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've worn hoods all my life, primarily to keep warm and dry, now we have this massive clamour about hood wearing thugs and i cant help feeling it has more to do with cctv than anything else. Is this a manipulation of an urban myth after all most mugging victims are hood wearing young men/boys :?:

Yup, it's stereotyping by the meeja/CCTV convenience/scapegoating of minorities.

I wear them every day and I'm an MA criminology student of nearly 50.
Where I live, 'smart casual' (as in what students are supposed to wear) means branded sports clothes.

I'm often the only student in sight so dressed. I call my drive between home and uni the 'chavwarp'. :roll:

hoodies, good, practical, warm, look good under a jacket, quality item of clothing.

There you go, escargot1, just because you mentioned the word chav I almost launched into a diatribe against them being the true evil not the noble Hood, there you see the dangers of prejudice. It is possible there are nice chavs, isn't it :?:

No, the word 'chav' is in and of itself normally intended as an insult.
Irony is of course an option. ;)

However, there is a lot of interesting 'unpacking' to do on the words 'hoodie' and 'chav'.

Race comes into it.

The stereotype runs roughly like this:

'Chavs' are normally white, and while they often cover their heads in public, it is usually with baseball caps.
Chavs sometimes wear hoodies of course.

'Hoodie' wearers, especially those who wear the hoods up, are usually black. The word 'hoodie' may even sugest the word ''hood', as in the black slang for 'neighbourhood'.

I stress that this is the popular stereotype, as advanced by tabloid newspapers, Sky News etc, and may or may not bear much resemblance to the truth.

in derry, norn iron, what i would term as local scally gobshites, or "hoodies" or "chavs" are called hoods.

Yup, and 'hood' is of course an old word for 'gangster'. ;)

chockfullahate said:
hoodies, good, practical, warm, look good under a jacket, quality item of clothing.

Depends on your point of view. My description would probably be:

Hoodies, impractical, ridiculous fashion statement that makes the wearer look as if they are an overgrown toddler. Restricts peripheral vision when crossing the road, leading to increased possibility of accidents (I almost ran one over last Saturday). Invariably worn by those individuals who feel the need to indicate to others that they belong to a certain urban tribe.

ArthurASCII said:
Restricts peripheral vision when crossing the road, leading to increased possibility of accidents

so let the chavs wear them, slowly but surly they will remove themselves from the gene pool.

I too have worn hoodies since as long ago as I can remember but I'm afraid I can't get worked up either way about the question.

I think its perfectly reasonable for me to wear one (rarely hood-up I have to admit - unless its bastard freezing) but I also think its perfectly reasonable for shop/pub/club owners to question why someone should need their head and face covered when using their premises. It's my understanding that most places which have "banned" hoodies haven't actually banned the wearing of them outright but have insisted that the hoods are not worn up while in their premises - in much the same way that banks and building societies haven't "banned" motor cyclists, they've simply requested that they take their pots off when in the gig.

I expect CCTV has a lot to do with this but I can also completely understand why shop assistants, especially those in shops with few staff, might feel nervous about serving someone who doesn't want to show their face. As far as I’m concerned apart from anything else it’s bad manners.

ArthurASCII - although I disagree with your description I believe that it is your duty to the future of the species to mow down anyone who'd rather be street than safe - simply evolution in action old chap!

According to the fashion experts Hoodies will be the new black/white/whatever this year. This coud make it increasingly difficult to spot which one to run over or not. Make your choice carefully.

ArthurASCII said:
chockfullahate said:

Depends on your point of view. My description would probably be:

Hoodies, impractical, ridiculous fashion statement that makes the wearer look as if they are an overgrown toddler. Restricts peripheral vision when crossing the road, leading to increased possibility of accidents (I almost ran one over last Saturday). Invariably worn by those individuals who feel the need to indicate to others that they belong to a certain urban tribe.

been wearing the things for years, but as someone said, a chav no less, "you look like one of the kids off ET like that!"

ah well. 80s trainers and a hoodie will always do that i spose.

Probably not the best place for this, but has anyone seen the latest edition to the 'fashion'? Hoods up with a baseball cap over the top and the price label still on the cap? :shock:

elffriend said:
Probably not the best place for this, but has anyone seen the latest edition to the 'fashion'? Hoods up with a baseball cap over the top and the price label still on the cap? :shock:

Aye, they are ridiculas to the last. I dont mind hoodies really but lets face it if you go into town on a friday night you will see groups of hooded degenerates mouthing off at eachother and anyone else they feel like. As has been mentioned already nothing wrong with them untill you keep the hood on all the time no matter what.

Ive got hoods and baseball caps!

chavs or no, its always been my natural mode of apparel

one of my baseball caps got the name of an ex place of work on it

another I have had since I was little mas a confederate flag and `REBEL FUEL` on

ah, but do you wear your hood up all the time, inside or outside when hot or cold?

I've got 2 hoodies on today it's freezing! I'm indoors heating off and hoods up my teacup keeps myleft hand warm but my typing finger is v cold ;)

Back