• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horizon: What is Reality?

I did! Thoroughly compelling watching! I'd sell my house and the whole contents, just to fund the BBC. :lol:

It was excellently put together I thought, such a complex thing to explain and yet they managed to do it in fairly simple terms. I'm still struggling with the fact that we are all just the reflections of a 2d hologram situated at the boundary of the universe....

It's odd coz over Xmas I re-read Hawking's Brief History of Time, and since then there's been a few things on TV/Radio about theoretical Physics. One of the common factors I've noticed between all these sources is that there is a feeling that we are "waiting" for some kind of genius to come along and unify all the random theories that are floating around....much like Einstein did back in the first half of the twentieth century.

Mind blowing concepts presented in a way that even I as a layman and a dunce could at least appreciate if not fully understand.

Best moment was the interviewer piping up with 'Oh I think I understand that now', at which point the interviewee (name escapes me) shook his head and said 'You think you do, actually you don't, no-one does', which was comforting.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the prog,thought provoking AND it had a Chinese lantern!!

Its what the BBC does best if you ask me. Great stuff, Horizon really does know how to make a person feel small and completley insignificant. Does everyone remember the programme about Infinity last year. Mindblowing is an understatement :madeyes:

At least i can take some comfort from the fact that, if the infinate parallel universe model is correct, that somewhere i'm copping off with Kelly Brook. Though that also means that somewhere i'm probably copping off with Pat Butcher as well......... :cross eye

titch said:
Thanks for drawing my attention to the prog,thought provoking AND it had a Chinese lantern!!

Yes! In fact I smirked to myself when he let it off... Aliens!

So...if our universe is just on the edge of a 2D hologram...what is that hologram a picture of? What is the hologram on? Who made it?

Are we the hologram on God's credit card???

My opinion is that this holographic universe thing shows that, once again, scientists have taken the maths and then tripped up over the way the brain uses language to describe the World. Metaphor, allegory, allusion, poetry and rhyme. They're so deep rooted in the way we think and communicate. Perfectly fine for everyday things, but a bit limited when trying to describe a reality with more than four dimensions. Look at how weird things got, just by moving away from Newtonian billiard ball atoms and planets, to Einstein's speed of light relativity and gravity wells.

Just got around to watching this - fascinating stuff. I'm intrigued by the holographic projection idea, but I don't really see how the experiment that was mentioned (measuring how long it takes for the light to bounce back) can be seen as proof of that specific theory. Surely if "fuzzyness" was observed it could be a) the result of the act of observation itself as identified in the two slit experiment or b) the result of some other factor which we don't know about yet. Surely if you employ good old Occam's Razor then the theory that everything is a huge holographic projection is just too much? Not that I'm any kind of expert! :p

Anyway, I had a look at the Fermilab website and it looks like they're shutting down the Tevatron - http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/68988/title/Tevatron_to_shut_down_in_September. I suppose it'll be up to CERN to find the Higgs Boson then!

Zoffre said:
Anyway, I had a look at the Fermilab website and it looks like they're shutting down the Tevatron -

Good, they were getting up to all kind of unnatural behaviour! ;)

Zoffre said:
Surely if "fuzzyness" was observed it could be a) the result of the act of observation itself as identified in the two slit experiment or b) the result of some other factor which we don't know about yet. Surely if you employ good old Occam's Razor then the theory that everything is a huge holographic projection is just too much? Not that I'm any kind of expert! :p

See I understood it as if there was a discrepancy in the timing of the laser reflections, because the tube the potons were in was very clean, so couldn't cause a discrepancy, it would suggest the there was an external force causing the discrepancy. Which could support the idea that what we are actually observing is a reflection of something that could possibly be the holograph, and the discrepancy was caused by an interuption in the reflection of the possible holograph. This would mean that marmalade tastes better on bread. ;)

Cultjunky said:
Zoffre said:
See I understood it as if there was a discrepancy in the timing of the laser reflections, because the tube the potons were in was very clean, so couldn't cause a discrepancy, it would suggest the there was an external force causing the discrepancy. Which could support the idea that what we are actually observing is a reflection of something that could possibly be the holograph, and the discrepancy was caused by an interuption in the reflection of the possible holograph. This would mean that marmalade tastes better on bread. ;)

In reference to my earlier statement of: "One of the common factors I've noticed between all these sources is that there is a feeling that we are "waiting" for some kind of genius to come along and unify all the random theories that are floating around....much like Einstein did back in the first half of the twentieth century.

.....CultJunky has just won the Nobel prize.

I'm, I'm, sniff, over, sniff, whelmed.

I'd like to thank, sniff, Ho Vis, for providing a solid, but flexible foundation for my research, my constant companion Flora for helping to spread the workload and Robert Sans for sweetly bringing it all together.

But in other reality's we have all won!!!!! /sniff i would like to thank my cats, dayia and mocho and ofc dawkins who made everything possible. :D

SHAYBARSABE said:
linesmachine said:
Just wondered if anyone else caught this incredible piece of BBC Tv?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s_Reality/

As usual, we'd can't see the show here. Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. :grrr:

That is annoying isn't it. I work abroad now and then and I get really hacked off that I can't watch iPlayer. To be fair they are just trying to show the BBc licence fee payers in the UK, who shell out over a hundred quid, that they are not giving out content to all. However, wouldn't it be better if you could pay for content?

There are rumours that the BBC will be offering subscriptions to non-licence payers, specifically for those of us in the colonies.

Back