Horrible Events Unfolding In The Amazon Rainforest

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
In the unlikey event you haven't caught this story on the news, there are over 2500 fires burning out of control in the Amazon Rainforest. The loss in terms of species diversity is incalculable. Who knows how many medicines we will never have the opportunity to discover now? The threat goes so much further than may immediately be apparent. There are 120 billion tons of CO2 stored in the timbers of the Amazon, and right now, they are being released in a rapid and uncontrolled rate, as smoke, into the atmosphere. This may well tip us over the 2% increase CO2 that meteorologists and ecologists have been warning everybody about. This will cause rises in temperature that will cause droughts, that will in turn create further forest fires. Droughts will also cause crop failures around the world, and marginal agricultural areas will begin to fail and become dust bowls, driving desertification. The growing lack of fresh water caused by droughts will make increasing numbers of cities uninhabitable, and that will force people to become ecological refugees. This in turn will cause the global economy to contract, and potentially crash as too much stress is placed upon it. The +2 degrees Celcius rise will also badly impact the ocean planktons we rely on to do the bulk of our oxygen recycling. That critical system will fail altogether when we hit +6 degrees Celcius, leading to the gradual extinction of all oxygen breathing life forms, including you and me.

I strongly urge you to become well informed on this issue and to contact your representatives to insist that measures be taken to stop the unfolding disaster. Obviously the fires need to be put out. With the present loss of trees from the Amazon, we will need to engage in a worldwide program to reforest a lot of land, because nature simply cannot do it fast enough on its own.

A few articles to get you started:

BBC Link: The Amazon is on fire - how bad is it?

Major forests around the world have been burning way too fast due to droughts

Snopes fact checking

skinny

Class of 1984
I know a lot of Brazilians. They are a people to be reckoned with. This government will not get away with it. Rotten greedy mother funking bastards. Good call to get onto your reps, folks. Get up to speed on the deforestation in Indonesia as well. The planet's lungs are on fire again.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
I know a lot of Brazilians. They are a people to be reckoned with. This government will not get away with it. Rotten greedy mother funking bastards. Good call to get onto your reps, folks. Get up to speed on the deforestation in Indonesia as well. The planet's lungs are on fire again.
I seriously hope you are right skinny, but lets do our small part to mobilize what public opinion we can to help them in the meantime.

skinny

Class of 1984
In that museum cabinet over there. Don't maintain eye contact with it for too long.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
It's getting real annoying to have people compare it to the Notre Dame fire though.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Thats a little campfire compared to this

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
In a related story ... Runaway forest fires are devastating dry forests in Bolivia as well ...
It's Not Just Brazil's Amazon - Bolivia's Vital Forests Are Burning Out of Control, Too

Up to 800,000 hectares of the unique Chiquitano forest were burned to the ground in Bolivia between August 18 and August 23. That's more forest than is usually destroyed across the country in two years.

Experts say that it will take at least two centuries to repair the ecological damage done by the fires, while at least 500 species are said to be at risk from the flames.

The Chiquitano dry forest in Bolivia was the largest healthy tropical dry forest in the world. It's now unclear whether it will retain that status. The forest is home to Indigenous peoples as well as iconic wildlife such as jaguars, giant armadillos, and tapirs. Some species in the Chiquitano are found nowhere else on Earth.

Distressing photographs and videos from the area show many animals have burned to death in the recent fires. ...

The burnt region also encompasses farmland and towns, with thousands of people evacuated and many more affected by the smoke. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-not-just-brazil-s-amazon-bolivia-s-vital-forests-are-on-fire-too

skinny

Class of 1984
Gordon says
Just... Nope.
It’s been observed in postcolonial discourse for decades that environmentalism is essentially a form of white saviourism -a swooping back in of the Christian-guilt-ridden imperial classes to save all those brown lives in the nick of time and presumably be thanked for it. Maybe a parade or that musical number from the end of Avatar.

Or, here’s a thought. How about a wholesale seizing of non-white assets. Again.

For those of you losing sleep over the fires in the Amazon because people have been sharing photos so old they qualify as historic, let me bring you yet more good news that will annoy you. NASA has the number of fires in the Amazon basin this season at slightly below average. The 75,000 number you’re seeing from Brazilian agencies is for the whole country, not just the Amazon, and is largely related to clearing for agriculture.

It’s been amazing to watch even the Guardian try to soft pedal what is clearly a steaming pile of bullshit. You can see they’ve been stuck with pushing an op that has some major holes in it, especially as the rest of their environmental coverage involves heavy reliance on NASA who, for some reason, are not correct this week. That's gonna be a bit awkward when the PR flack emails over the latest press release to be published with zero additional research or follow up.

Where did this story start? When the least-popular President of France in the country’s entire history tweeted a stock photo from a photographer who died in 2003, in the context of one of the histrionic spats he mistakes for governing. (Remember when he was elected and said he wanted his Presidency to be “Jupiterian”? A distant and profound leader ruling from the Élysée, uttering few words and having ideas too important and complex for the common person? There are daily riots in France right now.)

That was enough for centrists to take a two second break from defending Harris or Biden on twitter to call for sanctions against Brazil. And I just… can’t.

Part of me wants to say their hearts are in the right place, even if their minds are literally in a latrine that has not been emptied since the glory days of the British Raj. Sanctions are a military tactic aimed precisely at the most vulnerable members of a country and are the reason why there is a multi-year famine in Yemen and (most of) the reason there is a multi-year apocalypse in Venezuela.

Based on Macron (MACRON!) tweeting a stock photo, you want to lay waste to 200 million brown lives and call yourselves activists?

I have been saying for over a decade that the global reserve currency that eventually replaces the USD is some sort of modified SDR, which countries will be able to drawn down based on ‘carbon compliance’. This is how G7 -mostly postindustrial- maintains dominance over G20 -which is industrialising and growing. (This is outsourcing polluting manufacture from the west, blaming developing countries for polluting, and then buying all those smartphones they built with their dastardly polluting factories which we insisted they build.)

And, funnily enough, this was to be the topic of this weekend’s newsletter because none other than the outgoing governor of the Ur-Central-Bank, the Bank of England, said exactly that: We need the next global reserve to be some sort of SDR function, with a little ‘something like Facebook’s Libra’.

So in the same week we have a major trial balloon for what (eventually) replaces USD dominance, and a perfect example of how western powers will use the new/proposed regime to continue asserting sovereignty over non-western/formerly-colonial assets.

Is Bolsonaro a ridiculous and alarming thing to happen? Absolutely. Are there less damaging methods of agriculture than slash and burn? Also absolutely. The ‘solve’ for our unalignment with the more-than-human world does not come through technocratic tyranny but decentralised, rhizomatic response-ability. Stay with that trouble.

Calling for the collapse of Brazil based on a tweet from the French president is just stupid and racist, even by 2019 standards. Let's all commit to doing better next week.
https://runesoup.com/emails/just-no...t-nope/&utm_content&utm_campaign=Just...+Nope.
So there.

INT21

Antediluvian
Don't worry folk, all the fires in California were just a ploy to get the building industry back on course.

Most of them didn't happen. Democrat proaganda.

INT21.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
"As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

"Scientists studying satellite image data from the fires in the Amazon rain forest said that most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared."

Green = forest
Yellow = deforested areas
Red = fires

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...rest-fire-maps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

"Moreover, it is a myth that photosynthesis controls the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere. Even if all photosynthesis on the planet were shut down, the atmosphere’s oxygen content would change by less than 1 percent.

The Amazon rain forest is often perceived as the lungs of the planet. In fact, almost all the oxygen the Amazon produces during the day remains there and is reabsorbed by the forest at night. In other words, the Amazon rain forest is a closed system that uses all its own oxygen and carbon dioxide."

Nadine Unger, assistant professor of atmospheric chemistry at Yale.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/opinion/to-save-the-planet-dont-plant-trees.html

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...s-big-fat-nothingburger-fakenews-scare-story/

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I don't think that news is as reassuring as they seem to think.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I don’ t think we need to send money. I just think we should boycott the products that have benefitted from forest clearance. Right now.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
I would ask what percentage are started on purpose.....but I have also heard the fires are even worse or just as worse in Africa nations right now.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Never use Breitbart as a news source. It's far right trash well known for publishing utter BS. Worse than the Daily Mail.

Wildfires raging in the Amazon rainforest have hit a record number this year, with 72,843 fires detected so far by Brazil’s space research center INPE, as concerns grow over right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro’s environmental policy.
The surge marks an 83% increase over the same period of 2018, the agency said on Tuesday, and is the highest since records began in 2013.

That's how "above average" it is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...zil-reports-record-forest-fires-idUSKCN1VA1UK

There's three problems (that I can see) with these fires. Firstly, the rainforest is a carbon sink. Locks up carbon, stores it away. These fires and clearances release that back into the atmosphere as CO₂. Second, biodiversity - there's a huge number of species of plants and animals in the forest, many undiscovered. Thirdly - the Indigenous tribes. There's maybe a million Indigenous people living in the forest and they're getting burned out of their villages (forcing them to move off their territories, which can then be exploited by ranchers and farmers). They allege the fires are started deliberately.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
There are folk out there who will burn down their village to get aid.

...Or perhaps a rivals...

We dont need palm oil...or Soya. Never had it much (bar soy sauce) when I was young...why do we need it now?

Tropical hardwoods are useful, and so is coffee, but there are home grown alternatives.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
We dont need palm oil...or Soya. Never had it much (bar soy sauce) when I was young...why do we need it now?

Tropical hardwoods are useful, and so is coffee, but there are home grown alternatives.
Soya is, amongst other things, used as animal feed. China consumes a lot of soya, a lot of which came from the USA. However, the US/China trade war has disrupted this arrangement so I guess China's looking elsewhere for suppliers.