• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Woman in Black 2: this is a very dark horror film, unbelievably dark in fact. I don't mean it's really grim, I mean it's impossible to see what's happening for most of the time. Apart from that, not as good as the first one, and that was no classic.

Review of the year award man ! :D :D:D

Woman in Black 2: this is a very dark horror film, unbelievably dark in fact. I don't mean it's really grim, I mean it's impossible to see what's happening for most of the time. Apart from that, not as good as the first one, and that was no classic.

It is very dark but I preferred it to the first one.

Last Friday night I saw "The Wasp Woman" about a woman who is injected with extract from Wasp Honey and turns into a murdering human/wasp creature - I love these B-Grade horror movies!

Last Friday night I saw "The Wasp Woman" about a woman who is injected with extract from Wasp Honey and turns into a murdering human/wasp creature - I love these B-Grade horror movies!
Was it this 1959 one ? .. I've just found a '95 remake also .. I'll be watching this and hoping it's as good as Tarantula ..

Was it this 1959 one ? .. I've just found a '95 remake also .. I'll be watching this and hoping it's as good as Tarantula ..

If you want to read a weird, sad story, check out what happened to Susan Cabot, the Wasp Woman herself, in her later years. Pretty tragic.

Shadow of the Vampire is a good film.

In 1921 a German film director takes his team and crew to Czechoslovakia, here he aims to film a movie based upon Bram Stokers Dracula. The guy hired to play the Vampire is described as being some eccentric, character actor. His name is Max Schreck and he stays in character, even after filming has finished for the day. Questions are soon asked about him, with many suspecting the worse...

The Dead Girl: Horror/Mystery/Thriller. A girl is found dead. The story unfolds through the tales of five women. The woman who found the body; a morgue worker who suspects it may be that of her missing sister; the wife who suspects her husband may be the killer; the mother of the dead girl; the girl herself, her final day.

Brittany Murphy as the dead girl with Piper Laurie as her mother and Toni Collette as the woman who finds the body.

Pretty good, 7/10

Full film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783238/

Yes, that's the one! It's so bad it's good! I like how the mask of the wasp woman was so bad, it was only shown in the dark, out of focus and very briefly!

I liked the mask for that reason ! .. the less you see, the more's left up to your imagination and all that (but yes, it was a bit shit) ..

Tarantula .. full movie 1955

The Gallows: Found footage. Boy accidentally hanged in High School drama production 20 years ago. 20 years later the School is staging the same play again. What could possibly go wrong? Revenge Hangman rather than Slasher film.

Mediocre, 4/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309260/

Agree with the Rev's It Follows review in FT 330, not quite as good as The Babadook, but still a solid, single-minded chiller in an arty vein. Glad it's getting the warm reception (mostly).

Incidentally, Horns isn't as bad as the FT review said it was, it's not as good as the book because it has trouble bringing together the different tones, so it's all over the place, but I liked that. Rather see something ambitious than boring and safe.

Wyrmwood, Aussie zombie nonsense but done with a lot of verve on a tiny budget, Mad Max stunts and all. Has a car that runs on zombie blood, to give you some idea of the sense of humour (which isn't consistent by any means). A slight cut above the usual flood of zombie movies you get these days, definitely worth a look for the dedicated fan (dead-icated?).

Finally saw this I quite liked it.

Belatedly watched Evil Dead I and II this week. Controversial comment coming up, but they aren't that good really are they? The first was better IMO, while I understand the camp appeal of the sequel it just didn't stand up for me like the likes of Halloween or Friday the 13th.

Maybe it is one of those you need to see as a teen for added nostalgia value. Watching it for the first time in my 30s didn't really have the same effect.

Belatedly watched Evil Dead I and II this week. Controversial comment coming up, but they aren't that good really are they? The first was better IMO, while I understand the camp appeal of the sequel it just didn't stand up for me like the likes of Halloween or Friday the 13th.

Maybe it is one of those you need to see as a teen for added nostalgia value. Watching it for the first time in my 30s didn't really have the same effect.

Yes, they haven't aged too well but they are worth a watch every 10 years or so. I have a similar issue nowadays with the first Star Wars film.

Yes, they haven't aged too well but they are worth a watch every 10 years or so. I have a similar issue nowadays with the first Star Wars film.

Nope, sorry you are wrong. Original a Star Wars is as perfect as it was in 1977. :)

The first Evil Dead was a gamechanger in the way Texas Chain Saw Massacre was, but I agree it's not my favourite horror movie by any means. Evil Dead II on the other hand is a stone cold classic, unbelievably inventive and with one of the most insanely committed performances by anyone in a horror, step forward Bruce Campbell.

Having seen the first one first, when I watched the sequel as a teen I was so taken aback at how deranged and funny it was, so maybe you're right, as with a lot of movies you need to see it at the right age (see also The Exorcist, saw it as a teen and it's still one of the best times I've ever had in a cinema).

The first Evil Dead was a gamechanger in the way Texas Chain Saw Massacre was, but I agree it's not my favourite horror movie by any means. Evil Dead II on the other hand is a stone cold classic, unbelievably inventive and with one of the most insanely committed performances by anyone in a horror, step forward Bruce Campbell.

Having seen the first one first, when I watched the sequel as a teen I was so taken aback at how deranged and funny it was, so maybe you're right, as with a lot of movies you need to see it at the right age (see also The Exorcist, saw it as a teen and it's still one of the best times I've ever had in a cinema).
I saw it in my 30s, and my reaction to it was the same.
Mind you, I am in some ways mentally more youthful than other people my age.

Larva (2005): a state of the art science fiction/horror monster movie, and all the better for it. It doesn't break any new ground and has recognisable traces of Alien, Jaws, and Mimic about it.

A small town beef producer uses a new chemical agent in the cow feed to produce a better strain of beef. In so doing so,the parasites in the cows mutate into large voracious maggots which then metamorphose into these slimy bat like things. They begin to start leeching of people so there are plenty of Alien like shots of the critters bursting out of people's stomachs.

Two things make it a winner: it is a bit underplayed and hence avoids the trap of being camp, and (like Mimic) it makes use of puppets, rather than CGI (I think) and so looks quite convincing.

Just the job.

I'm in a minority in that I saw all three in sequential order, most American teens saw Army of Darkness Pt3 first on the SiFi channel apparently and worked there way backwards .. and as a previous poster has written, at the time, the first film was indeed a game changer ... no it wasn't technically excellent but then the shoot started when Sam Raimi was just 19 years old and he independently (well, him and his crew) sorted out the finance for it. It's a film that has absolutely and deliberately no self constraint (in other words, your average 19 year old) .. it's rough around the edges but I think that's why some people still love it, me included. And it pissed off our British government .. and they took it to Snaresbrook Crown Court .. and the Government lost ..

Evil Dead 2 was great fun but I almost wish it had never been made ... the ending of Pt1 was a dark and ballsy move and a lot of credit must go to Rob Tapert for that ... but Pt2 was more like a Warner Brothers cartoon ..

Army of Darkness (Pt3) was good fun as well but ... it was just Mad Max meets Jason and the Arg - o-Norts.

"Fun Ash" has since pretty much dominated the Evil Dead fan scene ever since ...

Oooh .. I've just found the full movie In The Mouth Of Madness by John Carpenter on ootube .. one of my favourites .. do yourself a favour and watch this one tonight

Retreat: Cillian Murphy & Thandie Newton go to a Scottish Island Idyll to try and rebuild their relationship. Their generator breaks down and then there are problems withe radio. A soldier (Jamie Bell) arrives on the island and informs them that a viral outbreak has occurred and it is essential that they remain indoors. He seals up the cottage and becomes aggressive. Is there really an outbreak or is he just a loon?

Good contrast between the wide open spaces of the island and the claustrophobia of the cottage. Tension is maintained but it does drag a bit at times. Definitely worth watching, 6/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1410051/

Last edited:
Retreat: Cillian Murphy & Thandie Newton go to a Scottish Island Idyll to try and rebuild their relationship. Theur generator breaks down and then there are problems withe radio. A soldier (Jamie Bell) arrives on the island and informs them that a viral outbreak has occurred and it is essential that they remain indoors. He seals up the cottage and becomes aggressive. Is there really an outbreak or is he just a loon?

Good contrast between the wide open spaces of the island and the claustrophobia of the cottage. Tension is maintained but it does drag a bit at times. Definitely worth watching, 6/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1410051/

Yeah saw this awhile back. It just lacks something. Ok if there is nothing else on.

Back